Skip to main content

The Man, The Masti, The Magic

He wants an Oscar for the music score of Slumdog Millionaire, not his personal interest but for India, for its one billion people, says the Madras Mozart, A R Rahman. You will get it Sir, I am sure. I am so much happy, thrilled, excited on his feat today, the first Indian to be felicitated with the Golden Globe Award.

Allah Rakha Rahman, the only music composer I am an ardent fan of. Not that I don’t like others or their genres, but Rahman is a class apart, ever since the first time I heard, “Dil Hai Chotasa” from Roja.

I do respect seniors and elderly people, who go ga-ga about the legendary music directors of their times like Naushad, O. P. Nayyar, C Ramchandra, S.D., and so on. However, I don’t particularly remember of having tuned in to their music or any music of the yesteryears. R.D. has a great fan following and great respect. Sadly, however, I haven’t liked him much either. I listen to their songs, if it is being played alongside, or if I don’t have the choice to change the channel or the playlist or the FM station. Though I respect that class for their seniority, experimentation, and inspiration they provide, I have hardly ever been a fan of them.

I have liked Jatin-Lalit, Shankar-Loy-Ehsaan, and Vishal-Shekhar, lately. However, my consistent favourite remains to be A R Rahman, and I am the most loyal to him, so much so that my cell phone’s default ringtone is the Airtel jingle that is a Rahman’s composition. I own audio CDs (not MP3) of most of his Bollywood releases, private albums, and compilations. I am not going to repeat about his life and success in music industry, as it is quite evident and almost all know about it. There were few, who criticised me or tried to make me irritated or dissuade me from admiring his music by saying he is repetitive, and his music sounds like someone beating empty utensils. I never bothered though, and continued to religiously to love him music, more and more every time. I just loved to get lost in his music, the beats, the rhythm, the harmony. One of my dear friend from Bangalore, Sandip, aptly describes his music as soul searching, it truly is. It is very difficult pick out his best compositions, as everything is awesome. Listen to “Yeh Jo Des Hai Tera” [Swades], “Khwaja Mere Khwaja” [Jodha Akbar], “Kahin Toh” from [Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na], “Urvasi Urvasi” [Humse Hai Muquabla], “Dilse Re” [Dil Se], “Ajooba” [Jeans], “Kehna Hi Kya” [Bombay], and of course my all time best “Dil Hai Chotasa” [Roja]. Not that these are the only ones I like, I love each and every compilation of Rahman, I have just probably picked out these few as a drop from a sea that has abundance of musical creativity. He, indeed is the best, I would love to be listening to his songs when on my deathbed, that would be the best form of death I could ever wish for :-), yes, this man and his music does make me emotional, I just start flowing, not worrying much about what is happening around.
A R Rahman, the man with Midas Touch, brightens up every musical note with a lustre of his own, turning it into gold(en) globe award winning compilation. Truly, indeed, “The Man, The Masti, The Magic”.

Comments

Nikhil Pagdhare said…
AR Rehman Rocks.... U have made us proud. VANDE MATARAM.
sandipwrites said…
Most outstanding characteristic of this man is his cool head on sensible shoulders. Unlike other arrogant music directors whose mouth speaks more than their tunes.
Anonymous said…
Hey man.. I just felt d same as you.. I wanna talk to u on phn.. Wanna discuss smthng abt arr.. As we both are true rahmaniac.. How could I contact u man??

Popular posts from this blog

Down The Memory Lane - The Times of DD

The weekend was bad, rather not so good; my back ache had buckled me to the bed, not allowing me to stay in one position for more than 4-5 minutes. I was surfing through the television channels lying on bed, and soon I noticed that I was doing nothing but going from 0 to 54 (that is the only number of channels I have on my television) and then again 0 to 54, and then again and again. I was tired watching that Indo-Pak terror debate, reality shows were irritating me, and I couldn’t handle any more breaking news with my broken back, neither was I interested in any kind of saas-bahu or the rona-dhona type of soaps, south Indian films dubbed in hindi were a big NO, I was in no mood for business news either, I had also had enough of Ghajini and Rab Ne trailors, songs, and reviews. I remember, only thing that possibly kept me glued to any particular channel was the advertisements – Limca (I love this ad for its jingle, the zing, and the babe, of course), Raymond, Bingo , few insurance

The Tormenting Tale of TimesJobs

Important: Please read my earlier post on Timesjobs.com . The reference to context will then be simpler. My experience with Timesjobs.com has been vexatious. It has almost turned out to be like "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" . If Emily saw ghosts at 3am in the morning, I would often wake up with the nightmare of Timesjobs.com personnel (mostly a Sonia Oberoi or Rekha Singh) asking me if "I am in the right job" or someone else offering me a "Citibank Credit Card" Yes, a credit card indeed. Timesjobs.com itself is out of job or providing jobs and hence has started selling credit cards - IRONY, I surmise. All my attempts to "UNSUBSCRIBE" from their job alert and mailing services have failed, to the extent that I wrote to YAHOO to please have my email address either deleted or changed (I will post a screen-shot of a reply from YAHOO SECURITY TEAM in my next post). However, I still made a brave, despondent attempt to "UNSUBSCRIBE" f

Existing In Chaos

50 days! I have been spinning in hectic schedules of work and a strenuous life of intermediate intensity. I have had hardly anytime to catch up with the news, especially at this time when elections are just around the corner. During all these frenzied days of my work life, I have terribly missed Karan (Thapar), Rajdeep, Arnab, and Udayan & Mitali (Mukherjees), of course. Yes, I did catch up with the Oscar ceremony and the hyped Slumdog jazz though. I am exhausted now. I tried to squeeze in some time yesterday to go through the recent political news (I wasn’t interested in what is happening to Kasab or was eager to know about India’s heroic cricketing triumphs). I pulled out some news archives from various websites, newspapers, and did watch news channels for whole three hours yesterday. I liked the oath taking Lead India 09 campaign, I liked Aamir’s representation to think better for this country in one another Lead India campaign, I loved the awareness and initiatives that Jaago