Skip to main content

Girangaon Naakaa

Almost a fortnight ago when I saw a half page newspaper ad about Mahesh Manjrekar’s new movie, “Laalbaug Parel”. Though I am not a big fan of Manjrekar’s movies (except Vaastav), I am somehow waiting for this movie eagerly, only for the reason that I find myself close to Laalbaug, Parel, and the textile mills kingdom. I spent my early childhood in Parel and my father was employed in a textile mill for over 15 years – thus the enthusiasm. While I was sweetly hallucinating in that zeal, I came across a very good Marathi novel – “Girangaon Naakaa”, based on a similar theme, may be. ‘Girangaon’ seems to be the flavour of creativity these days.

I completed reading the novel yesterday. Yes, I do read Marathi, though I take a little longer time to read it. I had been used Marathi books since childhood. However, only to the interest of the famous ‘Diwali Annk’ then, only till the cover page; the lady never let me peep into the inside pages. To my utter surprise, I haven’t been able to figure out how I used to win the Marathi essay writing competition in my school, for four consecutive years, that too a first prize.

My serious reading with Marathi, apart from the academic books, began with "Parel 68" by Divakar Kambli. And that precisely is the reason I picked up his latest novel, “Girangaon Naakaa” to read. My fascination for Marathi (in terms of creative field and certainly not for fear of Raj Thackeray) can surely be attributed to Mr. Kambli, and lately to “Sa Re Ga Ma Pa – Little Champs” & “Sandip Khare”.

“Girangaon Naakaa” is Divakar Kambli's third fiction novel that sumptuously illustrates conditions of once flourishing textile mill reign in southern suburbs of Mumbai. Though this book is published precisely at a time when Mahesh Manjrekar’s “Laalbaug Parel” is about to release, which may sweep off all the limelight, “Girangaon Naakaa” can certainly not be overshadowed.

Set in the period of seventies, much before the hitherto going on strike that devastated lives of the mill workers, “Girangaon Naakaa” is a narrative about poor yet varied cultural life that was not disturbed till then. There have been many attempts on documenting the supremacy & decline of textile mills, and about the lives of people that were woven together closely. However, “Girangaon Naakaa” is a different treat, for the way Divakar Kambli handles it with his peculiar style of story telling. Kambli’s expertise in handling stories with backdrop of Parel and portraying anguish of a common-boy-next-door character can be compared to the likes of artistic brush strokes of Salvador Dali. Rustic writings that hit the reader point blank has been his forte'.

“Girangaon Naakaa” traverses through pockets of central Mumbai comprising Byculla, Kalachowki, Chinchpokli, Lalbaug, Parel, Dadar, Shivaji Park and Mahim, all of which together mingle to form a single cotton ball called ‘Girangaon’ – the land of cotton mills. As such, there is no Girangaon in Mumbai, unlike Girgaon, Paralgaon, Mazgaon or Worligaon. It does not have postal pin code either. It was a culture that the selfish builders of high rise towers crushed ruthlessly. The story exactly takes place in this area.

The storyline is that of a common working under-graduate boy who deserves more than what he could get. He lives as a paying guest and has a good job where he is happy. However, he gives up his job on a small pretext and decides to be a hawker, selling shoes on a footpath. His tryst with life makes him across two girls and middle aged women of an impotent man who incidentally is his boss, a good man. In this small span of his living he navigates through a happy state of having a separate bedroom in a plush flat in Mahim to the foot-path in Lalbaug. And finally, in the house of the middle aged woman, minus the initial sexual feelings. The Oedipus effect reversed!

The life of mill worker families, their humane approach towards life, helping nature, their tasty foods, cleanliness, their basic interest in dramatics, small rock groups in this land, Simla beat contest; rock concert based on Woodstock held in 1974, rock singer Nandu Bhende, anchor Kabir Bedi, intelligent director Arun Hornekar of Marathi version of Becket surface magnificently in the narratives.

The story has its own pace and the author makes cryptic comments about the life styles of the clusters of the lower wage working classes that do not have roof over their head, emotional outbursts of the working class, and hawkers on the street.

The then class difference in a well to do area like Shivaji Park in central Mumbai and a couple of kilometers away mill area of Lalbaug is vivid. The three leading ladies come from a middle class family. The central character too is cultured. However, the backdrop is a gloomy mill area. It grips the reader with hands invisible. The day-by-day richer getting mill owners, and the exploited workers getting destroyed in the process, is one of conformist thoughts frantically expressed by the author.

Today, it has come out as a 100 percent truth. The spotless foot path where the characters in this novel slept is nothing but the foot path of the 7 star ITC Grand Hotel in Lalbaug! Obviously, novelist Divakar Kambli is influenced by existentialist French novelist like Albert Camus and Bhau Padhye in Marathi. The Franz Kafka of Marathi literature and recipient of Sahitya Academy Award, Vasant Abaji Dahaake has literally placed Divakar Kambli in stratum of Kiran Nagarkar and Bhau Padhye.

I recommend give this novel a serious read, it will certainly be an ecstasy for you.

[Pages: 167, Cost: Rs. 165, Language: Marathi]

Comments

prasad said…
Phukat vachayla denar tar bol......apan pan marathi manus hai...pustak vikat gheun vachat nay....
Mandar Shewate said…
yes, surely I will go for this novel after the watching devastating film like , “Laalbaug Parel” which gives wrong message of Marathi culture.

poor try by Mahesh Manjrekar!!!!!!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Down The Memory Lane - The Times of DD

The weekend was bad, rather not so good; my back ache had buckled me to the bed, not allowing me to stay in one position for more than 4-5 minutes. I was surfing through the television channels lying on bed, and soon I noticed that I was doing nothing but going from 0 to 54 (that is the only number of channels I have on my television) and then again 0 to 54, and then again and again. I was tired watching that Indo-Pak terror debate, reality shows were irritating me, and I couldn’t handle any more breaking news with my broken back, neither was I interested in any kind of saas-bahu or the rona-dhona type of soaps, south Indian films dubbed in hindi were a big NO, I was in no mood for business news either, I had also had enough of Ghajini and Rab Ne trailors, songs, and reviews. I remember, only thing that possibly kept me glued to any particular channel was the advertisements – Limca (I love this ad for its jingle, the zing, and the babe, of course), Raymond, Bingo , few insurance

The Tormenting Tale of TimesJobs

Important: Please read my earlier post on Timesjobs.com . The reference to context will then be simpler. My experience with Timesjobs.com has been vexatious. It has almost turned out to be like "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" . If Emily saw ghosts at 3am in the morning, I would often wake up with the nightmare of Timesjobs.com personnel (mostly a Sonia Oberoi or Rekha Singh) asking me if "I am in the right job" or someone else offering me a "Citibank Credit Card" Yes, a credit card indeed. Timesjobs.com itself is out of job or providing jobs and hence has started selling credit cards - IRONY, I surmise. All my attempts to "UNSUBSCRIBE" from their job alert and mailing services have failed, to the extent that I wrote to YAHOO to please have my email address either deleted or changed (I will post a screen-shot of a reply from YAHOO SECURITY TEAM in my next post). However, I still made a brave, despondent attempt to "UNSUBSCRIBE" f

Existing In Chaos

50 days! I have been spinning in hectic schedules of work and a strenuous life of intermediate intensity. I have had hardly anytime to catch up with the news, especially at this time when elections are just around the corner. During all these frenzied days of my work life, I have terribly missed Karan (Thapar), Rajdeep, Arnab, and Udayan & Mitali (Mukherjees), of course. Yes, I did catch up with the Oscar ceremony and the hyped Slumdog jazz though. I am exhausted now. I tried to squeeze in some time yesterday to go through the recent political news (I wasn’t interested in what is happening to Kasab or was eager to know about India’s heroic cricketing triumphs). I pulled out some news archives from various websites, newspapers, and did watch news channels for whole three hours yesterday. I liked the oath taking Lead India 09 campaign, I liked Aamir’s representation to think better for this country in one another Lead India campaign, I loved the awareness and initiatives that Jaago