Skip to main content

Men of (Dis)Honour

Kalmadi is all over the news channels and newspapers. I mostly had ignored the CWG scam news and everything else associated with it. I treated it as some rot that I did not want to waste much of my time on. Among many of the frauds and scams that the thick skinned politicians of our country keep executing, this was one of them. What drove me back to this news was Mr. Gill giving a clean chit to Kalmadi; maybe it was just a lame attempt to turn the focus from fraudulent practices to seeing the games being finally held.

I do not intend to justify or falsify any of the claims made by either sides of the government or the general public. I am, however, confused, as I have always been to understand the psyche behind people doing such frauds, scams, and adopting to ill means to achieve what they want. To put it simply, I always wanted to understand, “how much should be enough”; the greed keeps increasing ever after. Even in my wildest dreams, I can never think about what I would do with Rs. 200 crores of assets, if I could ever make that kind of wealth (I did dream about that once, accumulating 200 crores of assets was in itself a gigantic task, and it was morning by the time I could reach that mark. I assumed that I already had that asset base and dream again, yet I failed to conceive of anything to do with that kind of wealth). And here there are people who guzzle down 10 times or even 100 times of that money with so much each and pretense like chewing a paan.

What will happen to Kalmadi only time will tell; maybe he will be found guilty and tried under law; maybe he will die a tragic death; maybe he will contract some suffering, and so on. The end result of all such species has been the same; I can remember very rare ones (there could be many) who have escaped ill consequences of their wrongdoings. Not many were spared. I am not talking about the penalty that one will face on the judgement day or about fearing the God up above. Some morale or self respect, at least to make you bother about your transgression.

See the cases of Harshad Mehta, Ketan Parikh, Dinesh Dalmia, Telgi, and most recently Raju of Satyam. They all reaped what they sowed. They all were big and powerful, yet had to confront the results of their unlawful activities. It is very rare that one can outsmart the law.

And then looking at these big names, there are many small timers who follow the suit. They get blinded by the path of fictitious glory that they set their foot onto without giving any stirring thought to what could consequently happen – a miserable end result is inevitable.

Bribing, evading taxes, not following legal rules & procedures, overriding the law, taking officials & rules for granted are some acts that people with such mentality take pride in. Their belief that “I never got caught that time so I will never get caught” makes them commit a bigger and bolder offense the next, which subsequently starts resulting in fraudulent activity taken in small steps. This not only such people of inferior morale but also contaminates the surroundings where such people dwell, thus forming a strong substrate where corruption breeds. “Arey usko paisa khila denge, aur kaam ho jayega”, people often use such phrases as lightly and easily as saying “I love you”.

I fail to understand what people try to achieve doing such malpractices. “If there is any query, paisa khila ke sort out kar denge yaar”; why should there be time for such a situation to arise when there is a chance to play safe right from the start.

It is indeed small timers like these who successively gather might to keep on doing the wrong thing, manipulate data, bribe government officials, dupe the investors, and so on. And this sooner or later gives birth to Kalmadis, Parekhs, Kodas, Mehtas etc. For how long, though? You eventually will fall to the mercy of the law or to you self – a miserable end life. And even if none of this happens, in the end would you feel proud enough to look into the eyes of your loved ones and proudly proclaim your acts of dishonour.

Comments

Apurva Awasthi said…
Mast Blog hai bade...
Anonymous said…
It will be a useless effort trying to clean the corruption and frauds of this country. Writing such articels, is certainly not going to help.
very nice thought. even nicer style of writing . keep it up

bharat dabholkar
Unknown said…
Simply amazing :)
Anonymous said…
You are indeed a very good writer
Anonymous said…
Jhakaaaas !

Popular posts from this blog

Down The Memory Lane - The Times of DD

The weekend was bad, rather not so good; my back ache had buckled me to the bed, not allowing me to stay in one position for more than 4-5 minutes. I was surfing through the television channels lying on bed, and soon I noticed that I was doing nothing but going from 0 to 54 (that is the only number of channels I have on my television) and then again 0 to 54, and then again and again. I was tired watching that Indo-Pak terror debate, reality shows were irritating me, and I couldn’t handle any more breaking news with my broken back, neither was I interested in any kind of saas-bahu or the rona-dhona type of soaps, south Indian films dubbed in hindi were a big NO, I was in no mood for business news either, I had also had enough of Ghajini and Rab Ne trailors, songs, and reviews. I remember, only thing that possibly kept me glued to any particular channel was the advertisements – Limca (I love this ad for its jingle, the zing, and the babe, of course), Raymond, Bingo , few insurance

The Tormenting Tale of TimesJobs

Important: Please read my earlier post on Timesjobs.com . The reference to context will then be simpler. My experience with Timesjobs.com has been vexatious. It has almost turned out to be like "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" . If Emily saw ghosts at 3am in the morning, I would often wake up with the nightmare of Timesjobs.com personnel (mostly a Sonia Oberoi or Rekha Singh) asking me if "I am in the right job" or someone else offering me a "Citibank Credit Card" Yes, a credit card indeed. Timesjobs.com itself is out of job or providing jobs and hence has started selling credit cards - IRONY, I surmise. All my attempts to "UNSUBSCRIBE" from their job alert and mailing services have failed, to the extent that I wrote to YAHOO to please have my email address either deleted or changed (I will post a screen-shot of a reply from YAHOO SECURITY TEAM in my next post). However, I still made a brave, despondent attempt to "UNSUBSCRIBE" f

Existing In Chaos

50 days! I have been spinning in hectic schedules of work and a strenuous life of intermediate intensity. I have had hardly anytime to catch up with the news, especially at this time when elections are just around the corner. During all these frenzied days of my work life, I have terribly missed Karan (Thapar), Rajdeep, Arnab, and Udayan & Mitali (Mukherjees), of course. Yes, I did catch up with the Oscar ceremony and the hyped Slumdog jazz though. I am exhausted now. I tried to squeeze in some time yesterday to go through the recent political news (I wasn’t interested in what is happening to Kasab or was eager to know about India’s heroic cricketing triumphs). I pulled out some news archives from various websites, newspapers, and did watch news channels for whole three hours yesterday. I liked the oath taking Lead India 09 campaign, I liked Aamir’s representation to think better for this country in one another Lead India campaign, I loved the awareness and initiatives that Jaago