Skip to main content

2-day Crash Course in Attitude, Egotism, & Arrogance

To summarize the title and simply put it, just come to Pune, and deal with some shopkeepers in “the peth area” and rickshaw drivers in “out-of-the-city-limit areas”. With over 1 year already spent here in Pune, I have encountered such people every single day and I am yet to find an exception.

Public transport in the city is still at its worst. While on one side it gives pride to see the IT growth and consumerism flourishing in the city, basic infrastructure necessities still stand in debatable position. The day I am not lucky enough to find a friend to go to office, I start feeling very low, depressed thinking about what vehicle will I get to go and how will I deal with the rickshaw drivers – the most shameless fellows that I have ever experienced in my life (I am talking of the ones plying between Hinjewadi and Wakad upto Pimple Saudagar etc). 100, 150, 70, 80, they quote anything for a distance of 3kms to 7 kms and you should look at the pride on their face. The rickshaw stands should have huge signboards – “No Bargain, Fixed Rate”.

There are many incidents that I can list down here. Not even once I was successfully able to negotiate and travel in auto at the rate I wanted to. I finally used to travel at whatever rate they commanded, after waiting for long hoping that some vehicle could carry me from place to place. The point here is not about the alternative transportation though; it is about the haughtiness of the rickshaw drivers. I remember one day I wanted to come to Hinjewadi and I (like an idiot ofcourse) asked one rickshaw driver if the auto was available. He told me Rs.250, I was shocked, if I was Sita I would have surely got sunk into the earth below me. I would have rather traveled to Mumbai in a Volvo.

Just a few days ago, my friend and I were looking for an auto to come from Hinjewadi to Rakshak Chowk. After trying hard to find a shared vehicle, we went to one rickshaw driver. I was already getting tensed thinking about how he would treat us. My friend asked him if he would take us. 140 came the reply, I knew this would happen. We told him 50, he just ignored us, throwing out some bits of his afternoon meals using his tongue. I felt slapped. We again began our search for some vehicle, no luck though. It was getting late and we agreed to take the auto, 140 one day is no harm, we wont be traveling everyday, we thought and approached the driver again. We told him 140 is ok but he turned us away again, he arrogantly replied “yenar nahi” (I won’t come). I felt like kicking him and turning his auto upside down. It was not what he said that angered me but the way in which he said and the expressions on his face. He had that narcissistic look on his face and pride of having exploited two people desperately in need of some transport. I wonder why we were treated like that.

Another incident, I was with the same friend, we were coming to office from Pimple Saudagar. One auto driver was sitting in the driver’s seat reading newspaper. We asked him Hinjewadi. He said 150. Like foolish me and my friend told him 60. He turned his face away from us and started reading the newspaper again. We crossed the road and were waiting for some 6 seater, bus, and cab to come. All through our long wait, that driver kept watching us regularly and often smiling, surely making us look like fools.

These drivers will sit there whole day and waste their time if they don’t get the rate that they want but will not attempt taking passengers a little lesser rates. This way probably they can make more trips and earn a little more than earning nothing at all. Who am I to educate though? My self respect, ego, and complex were raped several times by such drivers. I hate them and I am afraid of them too.

I thought it was only on the outskirts such species exist. But I witnessed a similar attitude problem with shopkeepers in the heart of the city. I had always heard that Punekars (exceptions excused) are arrogant and full of attitude. I was shopping at Laxmi Road in Pune. I entered a footwear shop. It must be around 1.00pm. The sales guy started showing me the shoes, I was trying them one after the other. I spent around one hour looking at various types and styles of shoes. Suddenly I heard a stern fat voice, “nakki ghenar ka, fukkat cha vel ghalvu naka, jevaychi vel jhali ahey” (are you surely going to buy, don’t waste our time unnecessarily, it is lunch time now). I was surprised to hear this from a shopkeeper. I have never had such an experience in Mumbai. Finally I ended up buying something.

I then moved to a garments shop to look for some rainy wear, I wanted a jacket. I tried around 7-8 jackets but dint like any and I started to walk out of the shop. At the entrance (or the exit) of the shop, again a Marathi voice stopped me, “ghenar nahi ka ek punn” (wont buy anything or what). I said no, I haven’t liked any of those which I tired. He replied, “itke aarshya samor ghalun baghitle, kashala ma tey sagla fukkat” (tried so many in front of the mirror, was all that just like that?). I again said the same thing that I have not liked anything in that. He was furious now, “majhyakade 2000 jackets ahet, sagle dakhau ki kay tula, murkha lekacha” (I have over 2000 jackets with me, you want me to show you all of them or what, bloody moron). I just said f#$% you and walked out irritated and angered. How can they treat a customer like that? Even I am a merchant by caste and had shops but we never treated any customer like that. In fact I remember my grandfather and father, skipping meals and/or doing all sorts of arrangement to give the customer what he/she needed, but they never turned any customer empty handed.

There is one more species that I have started getting irritated with recently. The bus conductors on bus route no 100 moving between MNP and Hinjewadi. For last few days I have been taking this bus to office and back home. Unfortunately I always have a Rs. 10 note with me. The fare is Rs. 6 and it is very rare that I have got the change back. It was not only me but there were many passengers who never got their Rs. 4, Rs. 2, or Re. 1 back. I have given away more than 15 such Rs. 4 in charity to various bus conductors on board. Today in the morning while coming to office the same thing happened. Somehow while alighting, I dared to ask the conductor for remaining change. “char rupaya ne kay upashi rahnaar ahat ka tumhi kaamputerr chi loka” (are these 4 rupees going to keep you computer people hungry?). I didn’t say anything and I got down feeling irritated and ashamed.
I often laugh and smile when I am alone thinking about all such incidents. And I am surprised too the way customers are treated here. While the outskirts of Pune city (Hinjewadi, Kharadi) the growing IT hubs swear and live by “customer is the king”, the other parts of city are yet to learn.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I really loved the way you have expressed yourself in this blog. It really brought back the old memories back when i was staying in Pune. One thing is 4 sure Hee "PUNERI BHAMTI" kai aata sudhraychi nahit.......
Anonymous said…
Well said champ. An article worth a read and enough to tickle the funny bone...your observations are amazing and portrayal of the same is even more amazing...well written piece.
All the best
Anonymous said…
excellent posts and articles. your grab of everyday matters and penning it down are superb.

your writings are indeed thought provoking, full of introspection, make us think, make us laugh, and are very good mixtures of practical and abstract topics (facts n fiction you call them, very much suitable).

i would love to see your books soon, if you are planning one. Why dont you roll out a book of your blogs? What say?

Take care and keep writing :)
Anonymous said…
I dont know from where and searching what I Landed on your blog, but I loved and enjoyed reading it thoroughly. Nice articles.
Anonymous said…
Wonderful blog! I definitely love how it’s easy on my eyes and also the data are well written. I am wondering how I might be notified whenever a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your rss feed which need to do the trick! Have a nice day!
Anonymous said…
Hi there

Thanks for sharing, I have digged this post

Popular posts from this blog

Down The Memory Lane - The Times of DD

The weekend was bad, rather not so good; my back ache had buckled me to the bed, not allowing me to stay in one position for more than 4-5 minutes. I was surfing through the television channels lying on bed, and soon I noticed that I was doing nothing but going from 0 to 54 (that is the only number of channels I have on my television) and then again 0 to 54, and then again and again. I was tired watching that Indo-Pak terror debate, reality shows were irritating me, and I couldn’t handle any more breaking news with my broken back, neither was I interested in any kind of saas-bahu or the rona-dhona type of soaps, south Indian films dubbed in hindi were a big NO, I was in no mood for business news either, I had also had enough of Ghajini and Rab Ne trailors, songs, and reviews. I remember, only thing that possibly kept me glued to any particular channel was the advertisements – Limca (I love this ad for its jingle, the zing, and the babe, of course), Raymond, Bingo , few insurance

The Tormenting Tale of TimesJobs

Important: Please read my earlier post on Timesjobs.com . The reference to context will then be simpler. My experience with Timesjobs.com has been vexatious. It has almost turned out to be like "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" . If Emily saw ghosts at 3am in the morning, I would often wake up with the nightmare of Timesjobs.com personnel (mostly a Sonia Oberoi or Rekha Singh) asking me if "I am in the right job" or someone else offering me a "Citibank Credit Card" Yes, a credit card indeed. Timesjobs.com itself is out of job or providing jobs and hence has started selling credit cards - IRONY, I surmise. All my attempts to "UNSUBSCRIBE" from their job alert and mailing services have failed, to the extent that I wrote to YAHOO to please have my email address either deleted or changed (I will post a screen-shot of a reply from YAHOO SECURITY TEAM in my next post). However, I still made a brave, despondent attempt to "UNSUBSCRIBE" f

Existing In Chaos

50 days! I have been spinning in hectic schedules of work and a strenuous life of intermediate intensity. I have had hardly anytime to catch up with the news, especially at this time when elections are just around the corner. During all these frenzied days of my work life, I have terribly missed Karan (Thapar), Rajdeep, Arnab, and Udayan & Mitali (Mukherjees), of course. Yes, I did catch up with the Oscar ceremony and the hyped Slumdog jazz though. I am exhausted now. I tried to squeeze in some time yesterday to go through the recent political news (I wasn’t interested in what is happening to Kasab or was eager to know about India’s heroic cricketing triumphs). I pulled out some news archives from various websites, newspapers, and did watch news channels for whole three hours yesterday. I liked the oath taking Lead India 09 campaign, I liked Aamir’s representation to think better for this country in one another Lead India campaign, I loved the awareness and initiatives that Jaago