Skip to main content

Learned Illiterates

Globalization, terrorism and spirituality, possibly the three buzz words for today’s world. Indeed the latter two words have surely globalized and have spread to every corner of this globe. Globalization may surely help people understand each other better as there would be exchange of trades, ideas and hence ideologies. Spirituality also has become important today with the growing stress levels in day-to-day life. Many kinds of relaxation techniques are flourishing today to keep the adrenaline levels under control. However, it is painful to see that some people are still trying to divide people based on religion. Either trying to prove how their religion was suppressed or how is it superior to other religions.

Believing in God, chanting prayers and following a religion is fine but having an extremist view about anything is bad. In your pursuit to prove your religion/God as superior, don’t disrespect other religions. Surely, no religion teaches to do this – to discriminate people based on their caste, color, religion, or divine that they follow. Somehow, though we do come across people, who in a quest to prove their beliefs dilute the religious sentiments and rituals of others. This is mainly because of the monopolistic attitude of exhibiting their religious extremism.

Many faiths and beliefs that exist today are thoughts that have run down through generations with varied interpretations based on individual perception. There are several interpretations of Bhagvad Gita and The Holy Bible, which teach people a way of life. All religious scriptures preach one thing – humanity, to be good to others, selfless, loving and forgiving. Say for example Vedanta - it teaches a human to be a better human irrespective of what rituals or beliefs he follows. It does preach oneness with God but through their individual beliefs and not by forcing a particular religion on them. Swami Vivekananda himself preached about Vedanta and all religions being equal when he was at the World Religious Conference in 1893. We don’t take into account the teachings of such learned men but get carried away with thoughts of people who have a single point of view. Britishers did it around 60 years back and terrorists are still doing it today on pretext of getting justice while some others are doing it thinking that they are doing something good – freeing people from sufferings. What greater suffering would be there than a child separating from his parents or a brother fighting against his own brother? These so-called preachers or healers are actually sinners who have spoilt the entire essence of religion – love. They have divided people and are spreading hatred, thus leading to communal disharmony. To our much surprise, many professionals, educated people, students, etc. are a part and victims (who get brainwashed) of this act.

Can’t things around get simple and peaceful if we learn to treat each other as human beings, respect each other’s religion, God, beliefs and thoughts? Most of the times we get influenced by other's thoughts because of our own ignorance about the topic. Let us not force then on each other the beliefs we think are right and ultimate truth. While believing something is correct being obsessed with it harmful. As what we have always heard – “Anything in excess is not good”

Comments

Anonymous said…
Great article...It indeed is a pleasure to see thinkers such as you who care some much for the society and its integrity. I am deeply grieved to see that people are still dividing communities for personal interests.
Anonymous said…
Dear Amol, have been reading your blogs for quite sometime now. I must really say that you have that skill to create awareness and kindle a revolutionary thought. I specially like this article as it aptly defines the condition of our society today. It vividly reminds me terrorist activities, forced conversions, religious brainwash of tortured, suppressed and suffering people. Good Work..Keep it up. Hope to see more of such awakening work.
Anonymous said…
Excellent article Sir. It reminds me of that dialogue in movies - 'Inn jaise chand logon ke wajah se purey kom ka naam badnaam ho raha hai'.
Keep writing such good articles. All the best.

Sean.
Anonymous said…
good article amol.the title itself suggests everything. the swami vivekananda link is really helpful. well, to add new reasons, i wud ike to say some like stubbernness,over self-confidence and over self belief. the brainwashed people are blind;they dont understand the importance of shadow... we can not change the whole society but we surely can change few,even only one. keep it up.

Popular posts from this blog

Down The Memory Lane - The Times of DD

The weekend was bad, rather not so good; my back ache had buckled me to the bed, not allowing me to stay in one position for more than 4-5 minutes. I was surfing through the television channels lying on bed, and soon I noticed that I was doing nothing but going from 0 to 54 (that is the only number of channels I have on my television) and then again 0 to 54, and then again and again. I was tired watching that Indo-Pak terror debate, reality shows were irritating me, and I couldn’t handle any more breaking news with my broken back, neither was I interested in any kind of saas-bahu or the rona-dhona type of soaps, south Indian films dubbed in hindi were a big NO, I was in no mood for business news either, I had also had enough of Ghajini and Rab Ne trailors, songs, and reviews. I remember, only thing that possibly kept me glued to any particular channel was the advertisements – Limca (I love this ad for its jingle, the zing, and the babe, of course), Raymond, Bingo , few insurance

The Tormenting Tale of TimesJobs

Important: Please read my earlier post on Timesjobs.com . The reference to context will then be simpler. My experience with Timesjobs.com has been vexatious. It has almost turned out to be like "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" . If Emily saw ghosts at 3am in the morning, I would often wake up with the nightmare of Timesjobs.com personnel (mostly a Sonia Oberoi or Rekha Singh) asking me if "I am in the right job" or someone else offering me a "Citibank Credit Card" Yes, a credit card indeed. Timesjobs.com itself is out of job or providing jobs and hence has started selling credit cards - IRONY, I surmise. All my attempts to "UNSUBSCRIBE" from their job alert and mailing services have failed, to the extent that I wrote to YAHOO to please have my email address either deleted or changed (I will post a screen-shot of a reply from YAHOO SECURITY TEAM in my next post). However, I still made a brave, despondent attempt to "UNSUBSCRIBE" f

Existing In Chaos

50 days! I have been spinning in hectic schedules of work and a strenuous life of intermediate intensity. I have had hardly anytime to catch up with the news, especially at this time when elections are just around the corner. During all these frenzied days of my work life, I have terribly missed Karan (Thapar), Rajdeep, Arnab, and Udayan & Mitali (Mukherjees), of course. Yes, I did catch up with the Oscar ceremony and the hyped Slumdog jazz though. I am exhausted now. I tried to squeeze in some time yesterday to go through the recent political news (I wasn’t interested in what is happening to Kasab or was eager to know about India’s heroic cricketing triumphs). I pulled out some news archives from various websites, newspapers, and did watch news channels for whole three hours yesterday. I liked the oath taking Lead India 09 campaign, I liked Aamir’s representation to think better for this country in one another Lead India campaign, I loved the awareness and initiatives that Jaago