Skip to main content

Ganpati Bappa More Yaa

Everything in and around appears so pleasant since last two days. Even as I traveled to office today there was a calming atmosphere all around. The rickshaw driver too experienced it and said to me while driving “Ganpati mein sab kaisa mast lagta hai na” (everything appears to nice/beautiful during Ganpati). And yes it was. Though I am not a hard core believer of religious habits (I am not agnostic either), I have always rejoiced the festival of Ganesh Chaturti. It feels really nice to behold beautiful Ganesh idols, enticing decorations, devout worshippers and cultural songs. I could not stop the urge of writing about this beautiful festival that overwhelms the city for 10 days. I began my fact collection about Ganesh Chaturti and sat to write.

Everybody looks up to Ganpati for good fortune and protection. Ganpati is also referred to as Vighna Harta (Destroyer of all obstacles). Ganpati blends everyone and hence no activity (nothing for that matter) begins without alluding to Ganesha’s benevolent name. The festival, started by Lokmanya Tilak is celebrated across the country. However, the most impressive celebrations take place in Mumbai. Ganpati brings out unification of all Hindus, however diversified they be. Many non-Hindus too celebrate this festival by bringing home a Ganpati idol and relishing the festival with equally engrossed participation.

Festive Period: This deity is worshipped all year around and is a part of all Hindu rituals. However, there are 10 special days when masses of people collectively celebrate Ganpati. The 1st day is Ganesh Chaturti when the Ganpati’s image/idol is installed (sthapana) and worshipped with sacred rituals. The festival ends on 10th day i.e. Anantha Chaturdashi when the idols are ceremonially immersed (Visarjana) in water bodies.

Elephant headed deity: According to the Hindu mythology, Lord Shiva beheaded Parvati's son, Ganpati, who was guarding her as she took her bath. Ganpati did not allow Lord Shiva to enter the arena and hence had to sacrifice his head. Sorrowed Parvati pleaded to Lord Shiva to bring her son back. Just then an elephant passing by offered his head to be replaced on Ganpati's body. That is how we have the elephant headed look of this deity and is Ganpati is admired as the cutest deity with this look. As a matter of fact there are enthusiastic people who collect images of Ganesha, many modern day artists can resist painting, sculpting, sketching Ganpati's appealing form.

The Ganpati symbol: The head signifies the soul (Atman) while his body epitomizes our earthly existence (Maya).

  • Elephant head denotes wisdom
  • Trunk represents OM, the sound symbol of God’s universe
  • A goad (Ankush) in the upper right hand helps Him push mankind forward along righteous ways
  • The left hand holds a noose that loop up all hurdles from our life
  • The broken tusk (during the dictation of Mahabharata from Vyasa Muni) in His lower right hand denotes sacrifice
  • The prayer beads (japmala) in Ganesha’s other hand implies that we stay focused in God’s name always
  • A special sweet (modak) encourages us to discover the sweetness of God-knowledge
  • Ganpati’s large elephant ears tell us that He is always there to hear our call and at all times
  • All the type of energy in this universe (mental, physical, and cosmic) is denoted by the snake tied around His stomach

The mouse: There are plenty interpretations that go around about the presence of a mouse near the deity’s idol. The finest belief goes that God likes engrossing us with small little charming things, if only we would bother to look.

The women: They represent the completeness of the deity. Though not always, Ganesha is seen to be accompanied by Riddhi (Intelligence) and Siddhi (Spiritual Power). It symbolically honors the sacred feminine presence at conceptual level. Ganesha, the deity of Intellect, needs these two feminine energies to complete his own power.

Prayers: There are many prayers that are chanted for Ganpati during this festival and otherwise too. However, the most famous one is “Sukha Karta Dukha Harta”, composed by Chhatrapati Shivaji’s spiritual mentor, Swami Samartha Ramdas.

Although there are some eggheads that try to spoil the fun with fusty theories and misinterpretations, devotees keep too busy enjoying the aura of this great deity. I feel satisfied and peaceful when people enjoy these 10 days keeping themselves away from all worries, as they feel comforted under the protection of their Vighna Harta. Even on the 10th day people as they bid farewell to their darling deity they cry “Laukar ya!” (Come back soon!).

Ganpati Bappa Morya!

Information source courtesy – Hindustan Times, Mumbai edition

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Amol,

I just love the way you write these blogs. They seem to be so realistic... You have got real talent man..... KEEP IT UP !!! And all the best................

KEEP BLOGGING>>>>>>>>>>

Cheers
Nikhil.
SoulFren said…
Hi Amol,

This is Anitha, Sandip's friend. Have heard a lot about you from Sandip, so was very curious to read your blog. You really have a way with words. I liked the way you have expressed your thoughts.

Keep Blogging!!!

Anitha.
Anonymous said…
Hi Amol,

Excellent blog...

You have a great style of writing and words hit hard that make us (atleast me) think on some lines and take us close to reality. I have been reading your blogs regularly. But I post this comment in particular after reading your blog on Ganesh Festival. You can very easily touch all aspects of any subject, from finance to social issues to films and now culture.

The youth and our generation seems to have gone lost in call centers, pubs, doping and so on. But amidst all this there are people like you who try to keep our culture and rituals alive. I really admire this gesture of yours to constructively write on something related to relgious practices, its significance.

Thanks for sharing your views and providing us with some interesting facts.

Hope to see more of your blogs...keep blogging..you are doing a great work.

All the best,
Ankita.

BTW, why don't you join CNN-IBN as a citizen journo..think about it :)
Anonymous said…
Hey Amol,

Very nicely written buddy... i feel everyone should read it.

Keep writing,
BG
Amol Redij said…
Hi All,

Thank you all for reading my posts and providing your feedback in form of comments. I really appreciate this gesture.

I hope I would live upto your expectations and provide you with something informative & thought provoking each time.

Thanks again & keep reading.

Cheers as always,
Amol

Popular posts from this blog

Down The Memory Lane - The Times of DD

The weekend was bad, rather not so good; my back ache had buckled me to the bed, not allowing me to stay in one position for more than 4-5 minutes. I was surfing through the television channels lying on bed, and soon I noticed that I was doing nothing but going from 0 to 54 (that is the only number of channels I have on my television) and then again 0 to 54, and then again and again. I was tired watching that Indo-Pak terror debate, reality shows were irritating me, and I couldn’t handle any more breaking news with my broken back, neither was I interested in any kind of saas-bahu or the rona-dhona type of soaps, south Indian films dubbed in hindi were a big NO, I was in no mood for business news either, I had also had enough of Ghajini and Rab Ne trailors, songs, and reviews. I remember, only thing that possibly kept me glued to any particular channel was the advertisements – Limca (I love this ad for its jingle, the zing, and the babe, of course), Raymond, Bingo , few insurance

The Tormenting Tale of TimesJobs

Important: Please read my earlier post on Timesjobs.com . The reference to context will then be simpler. My experience with Timesjobs.com has been vexatious. It has almost turned out to be like "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" . If Emily saw ghosts at 3am in the morning, I would often wake up with the nightmare of Timesjobs.com personnel (mostly a Sonia Oberoi or Rekha Singh) asking me if "I am in the right job" or someone else offering me a "Citibank Credit Card" Yes, a credit card indeed. Timesjobs.com itself is out of job or providing jobs and hence has started selling credit cards - IRONY, I surmise. All my attempts to "UNSUBSCRIBE" from their job alert and mailing services have failed, to the extent that I wrote to YAHOO to please have my email address either deleted or changed (I will post a screen-shot of a reply from YAHOO SECURITY TEAM in my next post). However, I still made a brave, despondent attempt to "UNSUBSCRIBE" f

Existing In Chaos

50 days! I have been spinning in hectic schedules of work and a strenuous life of intermediate intensity. I have had hardly anytime to catch up with the news, especially at this time when elections are just around the corner. During all these frenzied days of my work life, I have terribly missed Karan (Thapar), Rajdeep, Arnab, and Udayan & Mitali (Mukherjees), of course. Yes, I did catch up with the Oscar ceremony and the hyped Slumdog jazz though. I am exhausted now. I tried to squeeze in some time yesterday to go through the recent political news (I wasn’t interested in what is happening to Kasab or was eager to know about India’s heroic cricketing triumphs). I pulled out some news archives from various websites, newspapers, and did watch news channels for whole three hours yesterday. I liked the oath taking Lead India 09 campaign, I liked Aamir’s representation to think better for this country in one another Lead India campaign, I loved the awareness and initiatives that Jaago