Skip to main content

Hi-Tech Taxi in Mumbai City

Come September and you will something distinct in the means of transport for the Mumbaikars and rest. The long history of "Black & Yellow" taxis will fade away slowly, as these will be replaced with modern distinguished looking taxis with technological infrastructure and plush interiors. The project will be implemented in phases starting September.

“The Mumbai Taxi Company Pvt. Ltd.” already has 60 permits for these taxis and the demo cabs are ready. The project named “Fleet Taxi Scheme 2006” will have white Maruti Esteems that will be converted to be used as taxis. Some key highlights of this new-age (atleast for Mumbai or India for that matter) cab are:

  • Air conditioning
  • Cushioned Seats
  • Electronic meters
  • Bill printing facility (with fare, time traveled, distance traveled details)
  • Debit/Credit card swapper (to pay your bills)
  • Mobile display unit in English & Hindi (for traffic related information)
  • Support systems using GPS (to track traffic & alert about the traffic jams on the way)
  • Professionally trained drivers for communication skills, courtesy skills etc.

I would avoid getting into the operational details and the legal issues involved. The drive would certainly offer comfortable traveling pleasure to the passengers and good driving experience for the drivers. Atleast there won’t be fights or arguments over wrong meter readings, fast meters etc.

The drivers too have welcomed this move as they get some benefits over the conventional tax driving.

  • Life, medical, and accident insurance (for the driver and his family)
  • 8 hour shift duty
  • Pension on retirement

Good things on roll for the city of dreams. Let us all hope that the “Fleet Taxi Scheme 2006” drive is soon put to action and expands to all parts of the city.

Let us not just get subdued with the negativities of the blasts, rains, floods (though not neglecting them completely), there are initiatives that are being taken to make this city a better place to live in.

Salaam Mumbai!

Information source courtesy – Hindustan Times, Mumbai edition

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey that great news, any update on the cost of transportation in an Esteem? By the way, Thanks for the info and i like your blog, being a mumbaikar..

keep it pouring..

Regards,

Ben

Popular posts from this blog

Down The Memory Lane - The Times of DD

The weekend was bad, rather not so good; my back ache had buckled me to the bed, not allowing me to stay in one position for more than 4-5 minutes. I was surfing through the television channels lying on bed, and soon I noticed that I was doing nothing but going from 0 to 54 (that is the only number of channels I have on my television) and then again 0 to 54, and then again and again. I was tired watching that Indo-Pak terror debate, reality shows were irritating me, and I couldn’t handle any more breaking news with my broken back, neither was I interested in any kind of saas-bahu or the rona-dhona type of soaps, south Indian films dubbed in hindi were a big NO, I was in no mood for business news either, I had also had enough of Ghajini and Rab Ne trailors, songs, and reviews. I remember, only thing that possibly kept me glued to any particular channel was the advertisements – Limca (I love this ad for its jingle, the zing, and the babe, of course), Raymond, Bingo , few insurance

The Tormenting Tale of TimesJobs

Important: Please read my earlier post on Timesjobs.com . The reference to context will then be simpler. My experience with Timesjobs.com has been vexatious. It has almost turned out to be like "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" . If Emily saw ghosts at 3am in the morning, I would often wake up with the nightmare of Timesjobs.com personnel (mostly a Sonia Oberoi or Rekha Singh) asking me if "I am in the right job" or someone else offering me a "Citibank Credit Card" Yes, a credit card indeed. Timesjobs.com itself is out of job or providing jobs and hence has started selling credit cards - IRONY, I surmise. All my attempts to "UNSUBSCRIBE" from their job alert and mailing services have failed, to the extent that I wrote to YAHOO to please have my email address either deleted or changed (I will post a screen-shot of a reply from YAHOO SECURITY TEAM in my next post). However, I still made a brave, despondent attempt to "UNSUBSCRIBE" f

Existing In Chaos

50 days! I have been spinning in hectic schedules of work and a strenuous life of intermediate intensity. I have had hardly anytime to catch up with the news, especially at this time when elections are just around the corner. During all these frenzied days of my work life, I have terribly missed Karan (Thapar), Rajdeep, Arnab, and Udayan & Mitali (Mukherjees), of course. Yes, I did catch up with the Oscar ceremony and the hyped Slumdog jazz though. I am exhausted now. I tried to squeeze in some time yesterday to go through the recent political news (I wasn’t interested in what is happening to Kasab or was eager to know about India’s heroic cricketing triumphs). I pulled out some news archives from various websites, newspapers, and did watch news channels for whole three hours yesterday. I liked the oath taking Lead India 09 campaign, I liked Aamir’s representation to think better for this country in one another Lead India campaign, I loved the awareness and initiatives that Jaago