Skip to main content

Age/Religion no bar for Ganpati

Ganeshotsava (Ganpati festival) is among the best festival that is celebrated across Mumbai city with equal enthusiasm and faith. Interesting part is that people from all religions, beliefs and caste come together and become a part of this amazing festival that spreads a mood of enjoyment and harmony all over the city. I am remembered of a Catholic female friend of mine who used to stand next to me and participate in pujas/aartis (chanting of prayers) of Ganpati at a common friend’s house. And it is just not my friend; many people in this city of dreams called Mumbai take pleasure in participating in Ganpati festival.

Indeed if we had to just look at positive side of things, is it not true that Mumbaikars, though from diverse cultures and backgrounds come together and share sentiments united (even if they are religious sentiments). Nobody really cares at times when one has to dance in the Ganpati processions or eat biryani during Id. Lokmanya Tilak had started Ganpati festival to unite Indians during our struggle for independence. The British government had at that time banned people from gathering at places as Britishers feared that freedom fighters (and other Indians as well) might plan some agitations or conspiracies against the British rule. That vision of unification is today seen to be bearing some fruits today also.

While reading
Hindustan Times sometime last week, I came across an article that truly stand a testimony to my experiences with my friend and the city overall. I wish to highlight/quote certain key aspects of that article that symbolize and portray the communal harmony of the city.

I wish to quote the entire article here in my post as I think it is vital for every person to know and understand what a true essence of being a Mumbaikar is or even may helps us to understand how diverse communities can still live together peacefully without any discrimination. What does living in harmony and peace actually mean? What do sharing sentiments mean? Though we refer to India as “unity in diversity”, I am sure more than 90% of it comes from Mumbai alone. Here is what I read and sincerely cherish every word of it.

“At Marine Lines, fruit seller Chand Sheikh, a 26-year-old Muslim, had been such a devout follower of Lord Ganesha since childhood that he was elected president of the local mandal and has already occupied that post for five years. In Bhandup, practising Sikh Balbir Singh, an actor, has brought an idol home this year, and plans to celebrate with his family every Ganeshotsav.

Across the city, Sikhs, Christians and numerous Muslims are heading Ganeshotsav mandals, singing artis, distributing prasad. Many are prompted by faith, others by hope or just plain neighbourly interest.

Its Tilak’s ideal come true: The festival begun as a nationalist effort to unite Indians in the struggle for freedom is still holding communities together.

“I didn’t even realise it was a Hindu festival till some years ago,” smiles Sheikh. “The whole building celebrated and we just joined in.” In fact, Sheikh was so enthusiastic that he got voted president of the local Tarun Mitra Ganeshotsava Mandal when he was just 21. He’s occupied that position for five years.

Meanwhile, in Bhandup, Singh has installed an idol in his house this year. His whole family is planning to celebrate every Ganeshotsav. They’ve even learnt the Marathi bhajans that go with the arti.

“Last year, I was struggling to raise money for my five-year-old granddaughter Ankita’s heart surgery,” says Singh. “I believe Lord Ganesha help me get together the Rs 1.6 lakh and helped save our girl. Now she’s fine, and I feel so thankful.” In nearby Azad Nagar, Ghatkopar – a Muslim-dominated area – 72-year-old Liaquat Ali has been the president of the local Jai Durgamata Seva Mandal for 28 years, ever since it was founded.

“Muslims participate in all the festivities and even prepare the prasad,” says mandal secretary R K Singh. “All communities live in harmony here.” And then there’s the Vasai’s Krishna Township Youth Associa tion, which started celebrating Ganeshotsav in 1995. “We were all new here then and decided this would be a great way to get the whole colony together as a community and become friends,” says Ahmed Kherani (24), a Muslim scriptwriter, who co-founded the mandal with Christian animation designer Alferd Monteiro (24).

Kherani sings bhajans at the pandal every year. Monteiro loves to play the drums at the artis.

“I consider Lord Ganesh to be like Jesus,” says Monteiro. “And since I was the founder member of the mandal, the bond is stronger.” Adds a proud Kherani: “I’m involved in every aspect of the festival, right from selecting the idol to deciding the various programmes. I think that’s how it should be all over our city.” Eleven years on, Tilak’s formula has worked. The 2,500 families in the colony have become well acquainted and every Ganeshotsava provides a perfect opportunity for a get-together”


I don’t think I need to say anything more or elaborate on any of the points stated above. The article itself shouts the spirit of amalgamation of distinct value systems. I wish a similar attitude of respecting other’s values/beliefs spreads through rest of our country as well, especially some cities and states in southern India. I hope Mumbai stands as a strong teacher, educating people of how to live and let live.

Salaam Mumbai!

Article taken from Hindustan Times, Mumbai edition (31st August 2006, Thursday issue)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down The Memory Lane - The Times of DD

The weekend was bad, rather not so good; my back ache had buckled me to the bed, not allowing me to stay in one position for more than 4-5 minutes. I was surfing through the television channels lying on bed, and soon I noticed that I was doing nothing but going from 0 to 54 (that is the only number of channels I have on my television) and then again 0 to 54, and then again and again. I was tired watching that Indo-Pak terror debate, reality shows were irritating me, and I couldn’t handle any more breaking news with my broken back, neither was I interested in any kind of saas-bahu or the rona-dhona type of soaps, south Indian films dubbed in hindi were a big NO, I was in no mood for business news either, I had also had enough of Ghajini and Rab Ne trailors, songs, and reviews. I remember, only thing that possibly kept me glued to any particular channel was the advertisements – Limca (I love this ad for its jingle, the zing, and the babe, of course), Raymond, Bingo , few insurance

The Tormenting Tale of TimesJobs

Important: Please read my earlier post on Timesjobs.com . The reference to context will then be simpler. My experience with Timesjobs.com has been vexatious. It has almost turned out to be like "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" . If Emily saw ghosts at 3am in the morning, I would often wake up with the nightmare of Timesjobs.com personnel (mostly a Sonia Oberoi or Rekha Singh) asking me if "I am in the right job" or someone else offering me a "Citibank Credit Card" Yes, a credit card indeed. Timesjobs.com itself is out of job or providing jobs and hence has started selling credit cards - IRONY, I surmise. All my attempts to "UNSUBSCRIBE" from their job alert and mailing services have failed, to the extent that I wrote to YAHOO to please have my email address either deleted or changed (I will post a screen-shot of a reply from YAHOO SECURITY TEAM in my next post). However, I still made a brave, despondent attempt to "UNSUBSCRIBE" f

Existing In Chaos

50 days! I have been spinning in hectic schedules of work and a strenuous life of intermediate intensity. I have had hardly anytime to catch up with the news, especially at this time when elections are just around the corner. During all these frenzied days of my work life, I have terribly missed Karan (Thapar), Rajdeep, Arnab, and Udayan & Mitali (Mukherjees), of course. Yes, I did catch up with the Oscar ceremony and the hyped Slumdog jazz though. I am exhausted now. I tried to squeeze in some time yesterday to go through the recent political news (I wasn’t interested in what is happening to Kasab or was eager to know about India’s heroic cricketing triumphs). I pulled out some news archives from various websites, newspapers, and did watch news channels for whole three hours yesterday. I liked the oath taking Lead India 09 campaign, I liked Aamir’s representation to think better for this country in one another Lead India campaign, I loved the awareness and initiatives that Jaago