Skip to main content

This DON(‘t) impress me much!

Farhan Akhtar’s earlier flicks made me curious to go and watch his latest venture – ‘DON’, remake of Amitabh starrer ‘DON’ made in 70s. I like Farhan as a filmmaker and have liked his ‘Dil Chahta Hai’ and ‘Lakshya’. Though I had got reviews on Don from friends, newspapers, sites, and TV channels, I thought of watching the movie before putting down a verdict.

I remember Amitabh’s Don vividly, as I have seen it as many times as it was telecasted in TV channels and cable TV. I had prepared myself not to view the SRK Don with an idea to compare it with Big B’s Don. Let the judgement be on a individual approach than on a relative level.

As I walked out after finishing the film, I was disappointed with what Farhan did with his version of Don. It was a mix of Bond movies, Matrix, and Mission Impossible. The plot of the original and new Don is more or less the same with very few surprises. Yes, you do get surprised at moments where Arjun Rampal (modern Pran) scales up sky scrappers when he actually is a software engineer in the movie. The movie turns into boredom and ridicule with certain scenes like Priyanka Chopra picking up the ambulance to rescue Don from police custody. Farhan Akhtar has pampered himself too much and took undue advantage of the fact that his papa has co-authored the script of original Don.

Now the million dollar question – who is better Big B or King Khan? A question that flooded polls on websites, SMS trivia, and many other fund raising ventures. Not because I am a die hard Big B fan, but genuinely SRK stands nowhere compared to Big B. The style, the enigma, and the persona Amitabh portrays in his Don exceeds far beyond what SRK has displayed. Also SRK is not even close to the grace with which Amitabh dances (even if it is assumed that he does not know dancing). The remixed versions of everything, the movie and the songs are too boring and there is really nothing that can keep you interested in the movie. However, the movie could be appreciated (to certain extent) by the younger generation, who love Matrix revolution kind of stuff.

Even if I had to compare this Don with other movies, say for example Jaan-e-man that I watched in last week, I would rate Jaan-e-man as a better entertainer than Don. You don’t need your brains for either of the movies and hence I would mark Jaan-e-man higher than Don on entertainment scale.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I agree with u. The way Amitabh has worked in DON no one can be near him not even SRK. I can also say one thing the way Amitabh has said "Don ko pakadna mushkil hi nahi namumkin hai" SRK fails in doing so. He has totally hammed in that movie. SO THE ORIGINAL DON ROCKS !!! Sorry Farhan .....

Popular posts from this blog

Down The Memory Lane - The Times of DD

The weekend was bad, rather not so good; my back ache had buckled me to the bed, not allowing me to stay in one position for more than 4-5 minutes. I was surfing through the television channels lying on bed, and soon I noticed that I was doing nothing but going from 0 to 54 (that is the only number of channels I have on my television) and then again 0 to 54, and then again and again. I was tired watching that Indo-Pak terror debate, reality shows were irritating me, and I couldn’t handle any more breaking news with my broken back, neither was I interested in any kind of saas-bahu or the rona-dhona type of soaps, south Indian films dubbed in hindi were a big NO, I was in no mood for business news either, I had also had enough of Ghajini and Rab Ne trailors, songs, and reviews. I remember, only thing that possibly kept me glued to any particular channel was the advertisements – Limca (I love this ad for its jingle, the zing, and the babe, of course), Raymond, Bingo , few insurance

The Tormenting Tale of TimesJobs

Important: Please read my earlier post on Timesjobs.com . The reference to context will then be simpler. My experience with Timesjobs.com has been vexatious. It has almost turned out to be like "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" . If Emily saw ghosts at 3am in the morning, I would often wake up with the nightmare of Timesjobs.com personnel (mostly a Sonia Oberoi or Rekha Singh) asking me if "I am in the right job" or someone else offering me a "Citibank Credit Card" Yes, a credit card indeed. Timesjobs.com itself is out of job or providing jobs and hence has started selling credit cards - IRONY, I surmise. All my attempts to "UNSUBSCRIBE" from their job alert and mailing services have failed, to the extent that I wrote to YAHOO to please have my email address either deleted or changed (I will post a screen-shot of a reply from YAHOO SECURITY TEAM in my next post). However, I still made a brave, despondent attempt to "UNSUBSCRIBE" f

Existing In Chaos

50 days! I have been spinning in hectic schedules of work and a strenuous life of intermediate intensity. I have had hardly anytime to catch up with the news, especially at this time when elections are just around the corner. During all these frenzied days of my work life, I have terribly missed Karan (Thapar), Rajdeep, Arnab, and Udayan & Mitali (Mukherjees), of course. Yes, I did catch up with the Oscar ceremony and the hyped Slumdog jazz though. I am exhausted now. I tried to squeeze in some time yesterday to go through the recent political news (I wasn’t interested in what is happening to Kasab or was eager to know about India’s heroic cricketing triumphs). I pulled out some news archives from various websites, newspapers, and did watch news channels for whole three hours yesterday. I liked the oath taking Lead India 09 campaign, I liked Aamir’s representation to think better for this country in one another Lead India campaign, I loved the awareness and initiatives that Jaago