Skip to main content

Are Godmen Really Doing Any Good?

As a normal daily routine, I switched on the television to browse through the day’s news. Watching CNN-IBN has become a ritual and I usually prefer going through the news on that channel. Today I saw the news about the so called ‘Babas’, ‘Sadhus’ or the ‘Godmen’ involved in money laundering and other such scams. These saffron clad and heavy beard grown personalities were actually criminals in disguise. While the sting operation is still to be authenticated, the thoughts about the need for such ‘Babas’ to come into existence stormed my mind. The sudden uprising of these ‘Godmen’ and their acceptance into the society is a big quandary.

I have always wondered what makes people flock to such babas whom they fondly call gurus. I don’t completely disagree with the idea of having a guru. However, it is difficult for me to understand why these babas need to be worshipped, they can just remain content with the respect they receive incase they feel that they are doing some good. I have seen many people having photo framed such gurus and placing them next to their deities – weird but true. There are special gatherings to worship these babas, chant prayers, and if the photos are not available anything related to that baba is acceptable, even baba’s relatives and friends at times. The prayers that take place are actually a shouting exercise where the followers scream hymns. Also, the recitations are sometimes bollywood songs with adequately and appropriately replaced text. And then ofcourse there are some intelligent morphing techniques adopted to replace the deity’s face with baba’s face – we are surely into a technological revolution when it comes to spirituality too. The prime motive of spirituality is put aside and the gurujis keep their followers busy in all kinds of other acts like worshipping sandals, buying their products, making them read their newspapers, illogically donate money, and so on. They get obsessed with their fame and kind of get high on it when they see people standing in long queues to get baba’s glimpse, while that baba walks in and out of air-conditioned cars and auditoriums. However, what needs to be understood is never taught. I am sure if we ask these followers if they have mental peace, 95% of the answers will be ‘NO’. I have witnessed talks where how one follower is cursing the other in front of third person, how one is getting jealous of the other, and all kinds of such gossips. In the end what have they earned – nothing really, nothing has got any better.

A guru, as Swami Vivekananda rightly puts it, must be a person who is modest, humble and teaches about good and bad, shows a path of righteousness. Godmen, these days are busy with looking important, acquiring fame, establishing political connections, and exploiting people for their own good. Though they like to call themselves ‘Godmen’, is any of them talking about God?

Comments

Anonymous said…
nice post. swami vivekananda has so much wisdom. you can read some quotes by swami vivekananda at http://www.gitananda.org/vedanta-s-message/message-of-vedanta.html and what he has to say about the vedanta's message at http://www.gitananda.org/hinduism/vedantas-message.html
Amol Redij said…
Thank you for your inputs and the links you provided. I read the text presented there and really appreciate your contribution. Though you have posted your comment as an unidentified person, I would be pleasured to get in touch with you.

Thanks and keep reading :)

Popular posts from this blog

Down The Memory Lane - The Times of DD

The weekend was bad, rather not so good; my back ache had buckled me to the bed, not allowing me to stay in one position for more than 4-5 minutes. I was surfing through the television channels lying on bed, and soon I noticed that I was doing nothing but going from 0 to 54 (that is the only number of channels I have on my television) and then again 0 to 54, and then again and again. I was tired watching that Indo-Pak terror debate, reality shows were irritating me, and I couldn’t handle any more breaking news with my broken back, neither was I interested in any kind of saas-bahu or the rona-dhona type of soaps, south Indian films dubbed in hindi were a big NO, I was in no mood for business news either, I had also had enough of Ghajini and Rab Ne trailors, songs, and reviews. I remember, only thing that possibly kept me glued to any particular channel was the advertisements – Limca (I love this ad for its jingle, the zing, and the babe, of course), Raymond, Bingo , few insurance

The Tormenting Tale of TimesJobs

Important: Please read my earlier post on Timesjobs.com . The reference to context will then be simpler. My experience with Timesjobs.com has been vexatious. It has almost turned out to be like "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" . If Emily saw ghosts at 3am in the morning, I would often wake up with the nightmare of Timesjobs.com personnel (mostly a Sonia Oberoi or Rekha Singh) asking me if "I am in the right job" or someone else offering me a "Citibank Credit Card" Yes, a credit card indeed. Timesjobs.com itself is out of job or providing jobs and hence has started selling credit cards - IRONY, I surmise. All my attempts to "UNSUBSCRIBE" from their job alert and mailing services have failed, to the extent that I wrote to YAHOO to please have my email address either deleted or changed (I will post a screen-shot of a reply from YAHOO SECURITY TEAM in my next post). However, I still made a brave, despondent attempt to "UNSUBSCRIBE" f

Existing In Chaos

50 days! I have been spinning in hectic schedules of work and a strenuous life of intermediate intensity. I have had hardly anytime to catch up with the news, especially at this time when elections are just around the corner. During all these frenzied days of my work life, I have terribly missed Karan (Thapar), Rajdeep, Arnab, and Udayan & Mitali (Mukherjees), of course. Yes, I did catch up with the Oscar ceremony and the hyped Slumdog jazz though. I am exhausted now. I tried to squeeze in some time yesterday to go through the recent political news (I wasn’t interested in what is happening to Kasab or was eager to know about India’s heroic cricketing triumphs). I pulled out some news archives from various websites, newspapers, and did watch news channels for whole three hours yesterday. I liked the oath taking Lead India 09 campaign, I liked Aamir’s representation to think better for this country in one another Lead India campaign, I loved the awareness and initiatives that Jaago