Skip to main content

Working with Networking

Ever since my childhood, I have seen people recommending something to someone; it could be their friends, relatives, colleagues, and so on. For e.g. my mom used to tell some aunt the new mixer we just bought is very nice and even she should buy it. Then there was my uncle who used to tell my dad to buy some policy or invest money somewhere or buy a house at a particular location.

As I grew up, I saw many people doing it to me as well. When it was buying school uniform, some recommended me to ABC tailor and some others to XYZ tailor, for books it was either stationery shop or some other. A little older, then it was the turn of college friends, “udhar ka wada khate hai, mast hota hai”, “buy a jeans from that shop, its good quality and reasonable”, and many such recommendations floating around me and each one of us ofcourse all the time.

And I grew older, out of college, ready to start a career. Again a lot of recommendations, which company to join, what and where to eat, and what to buy from where. Eventually I realized that even I have started recommending things to people – which bank is good for a savings account, which movie to watch, which credit card, which mutual fund, and many alike. And I know many female friends who are experts in this, recommending everything and anything that they have liked. Nothing wrong though, in advising our loved ones.

As I grew little older and mature enough, I started comprehending that we aren’t only recommending but also selling at the same time. We are generating a sale out of our recommendation for the entity whose product/service we recommend. Accidentally, I stumbled upon an opportunity to get into MLM (Multi-Level-Marketing), in which you form a network of consumers and distributors. It was quick enough of me to relate the working principle to what I (and we all) had been practicing since years. It was again recommending something (a product and a service) to people around me. However, I was also a direct beneficiary of my recommendation. All these years I saw my dad, mom, uncle, friends advising people on what to take (buy) and indirectly adding to profits of Videocon, Kelvinator, LIC, Lakme, tailors, shops, and so on.

I started working on my networking skills and generating money out of my newly started business. However, many did not digest the concept well and thought it was just selling something to some people (and even may be door to door). But have you not been doing the same when you asked your friend to buy a Garnier shampoo or Levis jeans, without getting anything in return. You have to do the same thing in networking and above all make some money out of it too. But in vain!

We all want to make money, be rich, fulfill our financial dreams, have financial freedom but not at the cost of a little extra effort. We expect money to come automatically or by just doing what we are doing. That extra income should come but it should come free, we all think so. But nothing comes free and anything that is free has no value – think about it :-)

Comments

Advaitavedanti said…
Hey Amol,

Back at Rishikesh, they say that everything that one really *needs* is free (in nature). eg, air that we breathe to stay alive, the water in the rivers, the forests that provide food and shelter. However, I reckon that we've declared war against nature by sucking it dry and so, all have to tax even the necessities, ergo, money and its luxuries come at a huge premium.

Think about it! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Down The Memory Lane - The Times of DD

The weekend was bad, rather not so good; my back ache had buckled me to the bed, not allowing me to stay in one position for more than 4-5 minutes. I was surfing through the television channels lying on bed, and soon I noticed that I was doing nothing but going from 0 to 54 (that is the only number of channels I have on my television) and then again 0 to 54, and then again and again. I was tired watching that Indo-Pak terror debate, reality shows were irritating me, and I couldn’t handle any more breaking news with my broken back, neither was I interested in any kind of saas-bahu or the rona-dhona type of soaps, south Indian films dubbed in hindi were a big NO, I was in no mood for business news either, I had also had enough of Ghajini and Rab Ne trailors, songs, and reviews. I remember, only thing that possibly kept me glued to any particular channel was the advertisements – Limca (I love this ad for its jingle, the zing, and the babe, of course), Raymond, Bingo , few insurance

The Tormenting Tale of TimesJobs

Important: Please read my earlier post on Timesjobs.com . The reference to context will then be simpler. My experience with Timesjobs.com has been vexatious. It has almost turned out to be like "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" . If Emily saw ghosts at 3am in the morning, I would often wake up with the nightmare of Timesjobs.com personnel (mostly a Sonia Oberoi or Rekha Singh) asking me if "I am in the right job" or someone else offering me a "Citibank Credit Card" Yes, a credit card indeed. Timesjobs.com itself is out of job or providing jobs and hence has started selling credit cards - IRONY, I surmise. All my attempts to "UNSUBSCRIBE" from their job alert and mailing services have failed, to the extent that I wrote to YAHOO to please have my email address either deleted or changed (I will post a screen-shot of a reply from YAHOO SECURITY TEAM in my next post). However, I still made a brave, despondent attempt to "UNSUBSCRIBE" f

Existing In Chaos

50 days! I have been spinning in hectic schedules of work and a strenuous life of intermediate intensity. I have had hardly anytime to catch up with the news, especially at this time when elections are just around the corner. During all these frenzied days of my work life, I have terribly missed Karan (Thapar), Rajdeep, Arnab, and Udayan & Mitali (Mukherjees), of course. Yes, I did catch up with the Oscar ceremony and the hyped Slumdog jazz though. I am exhausted now. I tried to squeeze in some time yesterday to go through the recent political news (I wasn’t interested in what is happening to Kasab or was eager to know about India’s heroic cricketing triumphs). I pulled out some news archives from various websites, newspapers, and did watch news channels for whole three hours yesterday. I liked the oath taking Lead India 09 campaign, I liked Aamir’s representation to think better for this country in one another Lead India campaign, I loved the awareness and initiatives that Jaago