Skip to main content

Just a little more…

Right from Rakesh Roshan in "Khatta Meetha" singing “Thoda hai, thode ki zaroorat hai” to Mr. SRK saying “Thoda aur wish karo”, and we all included in between, nobody seems to be satisfied with what we have. This sentiment candidly reflected itself when I looked (and heard) people around me lately. I had experienced a similar thing long back when I was with a BPO. And now I am into IT sector, a growth story just preceding retail and realty boom.

When in BPO, I saw people hoping jobs for a meager Rs. 5,000 raise and still continue with the similar work at the new place. From Intelenet to Daksh to WNS to Spectramind, it felt like a touch-and-go game. Many of them just juggled their careers in Mindspace, Mumbai, supposedly a heaven of call centers and BPOs. And things haven’t changed much, now I see people leaping (at the same level) from one IT firm to the other and to some other. Reason – 10% rise in salary and may be more. Truly, the quest for money does not end. I am not against growth or better career prospects though. However, jumping for money rather appears foolish, when one has not allowed the career to nurture in the place s/he is currently at. The other day, I was talking to a friend who had recently joined a reputed IT firm at a good salary package (considering the age and experience, the offer was really good and tempting) and now within two months he is all set to change his job, geared up for new interviews, because he is getting 1 lac more elsewhere. It seems that his market value has increased. I learnt in school, “rolling stones gather no moss”. We tend to dream big, but not to think long.

But where does all this end. Does one really know what should be the limit and when & how to control the temptation. Taking some real life situations, a seed when carefully nurtured, nourished grows into a tree and the tree then bears a fruit. The seeds add value to themselves after having patiently waited at one place for years. Well, if that was too philosophical, consider this – historical trends prove the investments (equities in this case) held for long term (10 yrs +) have actually formulated into wealth generation. Though constant rolling and switching stocks yields profits, the proportion is not as much. Having sounded like a big boss above, I don’t mean that stick to a single desk and chair all your life even if you don’t see growth prospects or are not appropriately rewarded, monetarily or otherwise. However, keeping money is the only intention would need some introspection and consideration of lot of other factors.

We will never be satisfied, we are patterned that way, but we do have brains to rationally weigh out things. If you have this, you will want that, if you get that, you will want something else. And just for that little more you will keep running and never be a peace. Instead of going after that little, look around, you will find many who don’t even have the tiniest bit of the “little” you have. Understand and realise.
“Zaroor thoda wish karo but thodi apni akal bhi lagao”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down The Memory Lane - The Times of DD

The weekend was bad, rather not so good; my back ache had buckled me to the bed, not allowing me to stay in one position for more than 4-5 minutes. I was surfing through the television channels lying on bed, and soon I noticed that I was doing nothing but going from 0 to 54 (that is the only number of channels I have on my television) and then again 0 to 54, and then again and again. I was tired watching that Indo-Pak terror debate, reality shows were irritating me, and I couldn’t handle any more breaking news with my broken back, neither was I interested in any kind of saas-bahu or the rona-dhona type of soaps, south Indian films dubbed in hindi were a big NO, I was in no mood for business news either, I had also had enough of Ghajini and Rab Ne trailors, songs, and reviews. I remember, only thing that possibly kept me glued to any particular channel was the advertisements – Limca (I love this ad for its jingle, the zing, and the babe, of course), Raymond, Bingo , few insurance

The Tormenting Tale of TimesJobs

Important: Please read my earlier post on Timesjobs.com . The reference to context will then be simpler. My experience with Timesjobs.com has been vexatious. It has almost turned out to be like "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" . If Emily saw ghosts at 3am in the morning, I would often wake up with the nightmare of Timesjobs.com personnel (mostly a Sonia Oberoi or Rekha Singh) asking me if "I am in the right job" or someone else offering me a "Citibank Credit Card" Yes, a credit card indeed. Timesjobs.com itself is out of job or providing jobs and hence has started selling credit cards - IRONY, I surmise. All my attempts to "UNSUBSCRIBE" from their job alert and mailing services have failed, to the extent that I wrote to YAHOO to please have my email address either deleted or changed (I will post a screen-shot of a reply from YAHOO SECURITY TEAM in my next post). However, I still made a brave, despondent attempt to "UNSUBSCRIBE" f

Existing In Chaos

50 days! I have been spinning in hectic schedules of work and a strenuous life of intermediate intensity. I have had hardly anytime to catch up with the news, especially at this time when elections are just around the corner. During all these frenzied days of my work life, I have terribly missed Karan (Thapar), Rajdeep, Arnab, and Udayan & Mitali (Mukherjees), of course. Yes, I did catch up with the Oscar ceremony and the hyped Slumdog jazz though. I am exhausted now. I tried to squeeze in some time yesterday to go through the recent political news (I wasn’t interested in what is happening to Kasab or was eager to know about India’s heroic cricketing triumphs). I pulled out some news archives from various websites, newspapers, and did watch news channels for whole three hours yesterday. I liked the oath taking Lead India 09 campaign, I liked Aamir’s representation to think better for this country in one another Lead India campaign, I loved the awareness and initiatives that Jaago