Skip to main content

My Broken Vase

Last few days have been quite relaxing and peaceful. I spent as much time as I could time at home all by myself. Days lazing around, watching movies, talking to friends, lunches, dinners, and other leisurely activities were like long awaited bliss that I needed. I wish I could go rewind a little and back to those days in last week.

Oh yes, I also took up cleaning and dusting of my house (after a looooong time) – the wall unit, my book shelf, ceiling, sofas, floor and I was blowing off every speck of dirt that my eyes could see. My inspiration and vigour kept rising with every particle of dust that I cleaned. During little short breaks, a hot fuming drink made from freshly grinded coffee powder given to me by a dear friend kept getting my valour back to cleaning again. My “pick-dust-clean to shine-coffee break” act continued from one object to other and from one room to other. I kept rising an inch higher after giving a shiny touch to things below. Finally I found myself standing on the edge of our wall unit with a beautiful glass vase in my hand taken from a shelf above. With a Jim Carrey grin, I looked at it – “it’s your turn bayyybeeeeeee” and started to softly clean it. I moved my hand inside it, over it, around its open mouth, and all over the curves and edges – so beautiful it was (psst: come back, it’s a vase), bought from a local street side market in Mumbai but it looked like a masterpiece from Belgium. As the beautification continued, I felt some tickle inside the pocket of my track pants – it was my mobile screeching “zzzz zzzz zzzz zzzz”. I took out my mobile, pushed in the green button and started to talk placing the mobile in between my shoulder and left ear. I don’t know to what I suddenly reacted on the phone and down went the pseudo Belgium masterpiece, slipping from my hands to the floor. It lay there broken into pieces and I kept looking at from 6 feet above. I quickly disconnected the call, got down carefully and put the pieces aside in a corner of the room. Fortunately enough, I could find some permanent-fix glue and patched up the broken pieces into a vase again. However, no where close to the original stuff, it looked kind of pale and dead. I placed it back to originally where it belonged and retired from my cleaning workshop for the day. Took a coffee mug and couched myself on the sofa, staring at the assembled vase, looking furiously into my mobile and sipping the hot coffee. I got up, went closer to the vase, looked at it, came back to the sofa, sat down, again stepped towards wall unit, took a more closer look at the vase, and again came back, don’t know why I was doing this, what kept me doing this for three four times. Finally I tanked into my sofa and unknowingly kept staring at the vase. From a distance it appeared to be the same, the joints were not vividly visible. However, when I had observed it from close, I could see the break marks, that it did not appear as attractive and that it had lost its luster.

I didn’t realise when my close observations and monologue with the vase took me on a philosophical expedition. Much like the vase, many relationships around that appear to be perfectly fine when seen from a distance are in reality a nicely crafted patchwork. Everyone around is turning over ambitious, spearheading to pounce upon every inch of success possible, gaining popularity, earning recognition, getting rewards, improving on financial strength but with every step higher, emotional tolerance is being degraded day after day. Materialistic maturity has replaced emotional maturity where selflessness, understanding, affection, trust don't seem to exist anymore. Relationships these days seem to have lost their luster, just like the vase, they have stopped living and are merely existing. While some stick around just because they don’t want to carry a social stigma, others go on so that some financial support keeps coming in and they don’t need to compromise on their existing lifestyle, and there may be few who keep quiet just because they would need a companion sometime ahead. Whatever it is, it’s just either the greed or the fear that rules relationships these days. Though I don’t deny that relationships based on pure love and trust no more exist, there are exceptions and that is really beautiful. I got confused whether was it correct for many such relationships to just carry on without any charm left in it, what’s the fun, where’s the thrill. Wouldn’t parting ways and staying single be a better option? If I am anyways not doing any good to the relationship, not contributing to its beauty, why not walk out. It doesn’t harm either because you would still lead a life the way you want and on your terms without thinking about the implications that it would have on people around. May be it turns out to be a happy ending for everybody.

I got up from my seat and took down the vase, it wasn’t beautifying the place anymore, it looked messy, my craftwork had failed I thought and placed the vase in one corner of the store room just for its remembrance. I may not buy a new vase or anything that replaces it, the shelf still lays vacant.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Brilliant as ever, anything i would give as a compliment will be just a repeatation...shabbbaasss mitraa...keep it up...
Anonymous said…
Very nice put up.
Revati said…
Hi Amol,

Thank you for commenting on my blog. Tu tar barech posts lihile ahes, ata fakta donach vachu shakle. Mi ajun blogging madhe far lahan ahe, I think I need to get some tips from you :-). Anyways, keep visiting my blog.
Manahsilpi said…
I like metaphor...the style...but, a vase cannot be mended, but a relationship could be mended. Would one break the relationship with one's parents or siblings? Would one think that it is just for a showoff...its blood relation they say. Just a thought.

Popular posts from this blog

Down The Memory Lane - The Times of DD

The weekend was bad, rather not so good; my back ache had buckled me to the bed, not allowing me to stay in one position for more than 4-5 minutes. I was surfing through the television channels lying on bed, and soon I noticed that I was doing nothing but going from 0 to 54 (that is the only number of channels I have on my television) and then again 0 to 54, and then again and again. I was tired watching that Indo-Pak terror debate, reality shows were irritating me, and I couldn’t handle any more breaking news with my broken back, neither was I interested in any kind of saas-bahu or the rona-dhona type of soaps, south Indian films dubbed in hindi were a big NO, I was in no mood for business news either, I had also had enough of Ghajini and Rab Ne trailors, songs, and reviews. I remember, only thing that possibly kept me glued to any particular channel was the advertisements – Limca (I love this ad for its jingle, the zing, and the babe, of course), Raymond, Bingo , few insurance

The Tormenting Tale of TimesJobs

Important: Please read my earlier post on Timesjobs.com . The reference to context will then be simpler. My experience with Timesjobs.com has been vexatious. It has almost turned out to be like "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" . If Emily saw ghosts at 3am in the morning, I would often wake up with the nightmare of Timesjobs.com personnel (mostly a Sonia Oberoi or Rekha Singh) asking me if "I am in the right job" or someone else offering me a "Citibank Credit Card" Yes, a credit card indeed. Timesjobs.com itself is out of job or providing jobs and hence has started selling credit cards - IRONY, I surmise. All my attempts to "UNSUBSCRIBE" from their job alert and mailing services have failed, to the extent that I wrote to YAHOO to please have my email address either deleted or changed (I will post a screen-shot of a reply from YAHOO SECURITY TEAM in my next post). However, I still made a brave, despondent attempt to "UNSUBSCRIBE" f

Existing In Chaos

50 days! I have been spinning in hectic schedules of work and a strenuous life of intermediate intensity. I have had hardly anytime to catch up with the news, especially at this time when elections are just around the corner. During all these frenzied days of my work life, I have terribly missed Karan (Thapar), Rajdeep, Arnab, and Udayan & Mitali (Mukherjees), of course. Yes, I did catch up with the Oscar ceremony and the hyped Slumdog jazz though. I am exhausted now. I tried to squeeze in some time yesterday to go through the recent political news (I wasn’t interested in what is happening to Kasab or was eager to know about India’s heroic cricketing triumphs). I pulled out some news archives from various websites, newspapers, and did watch news channels for whole three hours yesterday. I liked the oath taking Lead India 09 campaign, I liked Aamir’s representation to think better for this country in one another Lead India campaign, I loved the awareness and initiatives that Jaago