Skip to main content

Tell Me Why

The equation, “Sena = Violence”, (Maharashtra Navnirman Sena, MNS, this time) seems perfectly balanced this time too. Vehicles burnt, a driver beaten up, Bachchan’s bungalow stoned, etc were some sadistic incidents that Raj Thackeray’s men carried out in Mumbai on Sunday. The nephew Thackeray seems to be duplicating his uncle’s agenda of the “Rights of a Marathi Manoos”.

It was indeed an insane behaviour to target the north Indians or the ‘bhaiyyas’, to be precise for their presence in Mumbai. Innocent drivers, hawkers, travelers fell prey to the political rivalry between the MNS and the SP (Samajwadi Party). Raj Thackeray has been making some arousing statements about the political party and its leader, Amar Singh. He also was upset with Mr. Bachchan for starting a girls school in UP instead of starting one in Maharashtra – “place matters here the most, forget the cause”. I fail to understand why such strong leaders (based on the fan following that they have) cannot react or get upset with things that are certainly wrong – development of infrastructure, child labour, female infanticide, basic education, corruption. These are certainly some issues which need serious attention and if taken care of can help in the development of the country. But no, our leaders don’t have the time to think about it, as pointing out mistakes in other leaders, political parties is on the topmost priority in their agenda. And who cares about the development of the country, we are all busy in “my Maharashtra”, “my Gujarat”, “my Jharkhand”, and so on. We are better and happy practicing regionalism than nationalism.

We don’t like Samajwadi Party, go and mob taxi drivers, we don’t like Valentine’s Day, go and thrash down Archies, Hallmarks – we can do anything that we like and react as our political leaders want us to without applying any rationale. We live in a democratic country right? We have the freedom of expression. I wish we had studied our Civics in little more detail during our school days and understood what democracy means. And wish to remind, we are also a social, republic, and a secular state – not many would understand what these mean.

Coming back to the MNS activist’s havoc, The Thackerays have excellent oratory skills that can mobilize masses. However, never was it used for any constructive cause. Many believe that Raj Thackeray is now getting frustrated with his party not gaining enough prominence and hence is retorting with such petty issues to rise higher on the popularity scale. If he is not comfortable with Amar Singh’s SP he should go and sort out things with him directly though political talks rather than igniting a fire in bellies of the hungry illiterate unemployed youth of the city. If Mr. Raj is furious with Big B starting a girl’s school in UP, why can’t he himself start one in Maharashtra. I am sure he would have equal amount of power and money to do so. Raj Thackeray doesn’t like Amitabh Bachchan promoting UP and being a brand ambassador for that state. In Thackeray’s opinion Amitabh should do all this for Maharashtra, the place which gave him stardom and Big B status. But Mr. Raj when you can be so much in love with Maharashtra that you can provoke communal disharmony, why cant Bachchan be in love with his state UP where lie his roots. And then if you the right to behave in the particular manner, so can Amitabh Bachchan. Shall I again need to say that we live in the largest democracy of the world?
And then what happens to the overall image of the state. Does the news disruption of peace in a city portray a good image of the state? I am sure it doesn’t. In effect is Raj Thackeray (and many others like him) doing any good for the betterment of the state? The entire stunt is for the vote bank politics. With such things happening, I, as a Mumbaikar really feel upset when media generalizes issues and pounces upon every opportunity to rape the “Mumbai spirit”. And this question is again debated on various new channels with eminent speakers, “where the spirit of Mumbai”, “does spirit of Mumbai mean disruption of activities”, “Mumbai is full of hatred now”, and so on. Why, for the acts of some bunch of fools the entire city faces defamation. Why can’t for once things get regulated and rationalized? Why do we love to get exploited, tortured and tormented? Why Why Why!

Comments

sandipwrites said…
Aap ki Alfaazzzz ki jo adayki hai..buss...

Popular posts from this blog

Down The Memory Lane - The Times of DD

The weekend was bad, rather not so good; my back ache had buckled me to the bed, not allowing me to stay in one position for more than 4-5 minutes. I was surfing through the television channels lying on bed, and soon I noticed that I was doing nothing but going from 0 to 54 (that is the only number of channels I have on my television) and then again 0 to 54, and then again and again. I was tired watching that Indo-Pak terror debate, reality shows were irritating me, and I couldn’t handle any more breaking news with my broken back, neither was I interested in any kind of saas-bahu or the rona-dhona type of soaps, south Indian films dubbed in hindi were a big NO, I was in no mood for business news either, I had also had enough of Ghajini and Rab Ne trailors, songs, and reviews. I remember, only thing that possibly kept me glued to any particular channel was the advertisements – Limca (I love this ad for its jingle, the zing, and the babe, of course), Raymond, Bingo , few insurance

The Tormenting Tale of TimesJobs

Important: Please read my earlier post on Timesjobs.com . The reference to context will then be simpler. My experience with Timesjobs.com has been vexatious. It has almost turned out to be like "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" . If Emily saw ghosts at 3am in the morning, I would often wake up with the nightmare of Timesjobs.com personnel (mostly a Sonia Oberoi or Rekha Singh) asking me if "I am in the right job" or someone else offering me a "Citibank Credit Card" Yes, a credit card indeed. Timesjobs.com itself is out of job or providing jobs and hence has started selling credit cards - IRONY, I surmise. All my attempts to "UNSUBSCRIBE" from their job alert and mailing services have failed, to the extent that I wrote to YAHOO to please have my email address either deleted or changed (I will post a screen-shot of a reply from YAHOO SECURITY TEAM in my next post). However, I still made a brave, despondent attempt to "UNSUBSCRIBE" f

Existing In Chaos

50 days! I have been spinning in hectic schedules of work and a strenuous life of intermediate intensity. I have had hardly anytime to catch up with the news, especially at this time when elections are just around the corner. During all these frenzied days of my work life, I have terribly missed Karan (Thapar), Rajdeep, Arnab, and Udayan & Mitali (Mukherjees), of course. Yes, I did catch up with the Oscar ceremony and the hyped Slumdog jazz though. I am exhausted now. I tried to squeeze in some time yesterday to go through the recent political news (I wasn’t interested in what is happening to Kasab or was eager to know about India’s heroic cricketing triumphs). I pulled out some news archives from various websites, newspapers, and did watch news channels for whole three hours yesterday. I liked the oath taking Lead India 09 campaign, I liked Aamir’s representation to think better for this country in one another Lead India campaign, I loved the awareness and initiatives that Jaago