Skip to main content

Common Man in Politics

Nearly 40 people beaten up with rods in several parts of the state
About 15 state owned transport buses burnt
Many shops closed down across the state
Numerous vehicles, buses pelted with stones, thrashed down and destroyed
Around 10000 north Indians flee from Nasik to their home town

Amazing score card for the MNS activists to show off their Marathi asmita (pride).

Oh and yes a 55 yr old Marathi Manoos killed as a result of the stone pelting by the ‘dim-witted’ and ‘ill-advised’ activists must have been like a winning shot, kind of receiving ‘Param Veer Chakra’ for the victorious act.

What’s the use and what pleasure did MNS chief and his rebellions derive from creating casualties, causing damage to government, public, and private properties. And who takes the onus of the death of the innocent man, who probably had nothing to do with the north Indians and neither with Maharashtra Navnirman Sena.

Do we really need violence to portray our protests? And is all this hatred really required? These groups (the Senas of the Uncle and the Nephew), which pledge so religiously by the ideologies of Shivaji Maharaj, forget that the coronation of the Maharaj was performed by a north Indian pandit, Gagabhat from Varanasi. Why do we then differentiate?

If something is going wrong or someone is doing wrong, let that alone be punished. I am sure we can use humanity and law to do that, better than iron rods, flaming torches, stones etc. A riotous act upsetting the harmony of the place and people is definitely not the way.

And we forget one thing – the entire affair is politicized, where our leaders use us and exploit our emotions for their own good. The “selfish breed”, will seldom think any good or constructive about the people, unless ofcourse it directly fits into their political and personal interest. I am referring to both Abu Azmi and Raj Thackeray here, who possibly were cause-effect of the entire mishap in Mumbai and other parts of the state. No matter how much all the involved political leaders shout about it not being a political stunt, we all might want to agree that politics is at the core of the situation. The leaders are powerful enough in their speeches to ignite hatred and violence in the minds of their supporters. Why can't they then use their power to quiten the people, order/ask them to remain calm, and keep them away from resorting to violent means? Is this so difficult for them?

Arrested under non-bailable offences but out within 2-3 hours, we all knew this would happen, at least we had a feeling that the arrests were just a show business, a lot of things happen behind scenes. Added to that fine of just a few thousand rupees (considering the leaders’ appetite) was slapped on two leaders. What about the damages that were caused to government and public properties? We will have to pay for it, by the way of taxes and improper services – transportation, infrastructure etc.

Many debates are being conducted on news channels, discussion forums, articles, and so on. Every political leader and party is blaming the other. All of talking how Bachchan has suffered, how Amar Singh is troubled, how Abu Azmi and Raj incited riot like situations, how Advani reacted, how Lalu was happy on Raj’s arrest, how Nirupam defended Congress. But who is talking about you and me, “the common man” or is at least thinking about us.

Does the common man need violence? Does he want to see his Mumbai being put to shame? Does he want to be victimized every time in the political warfare? No I don’t think so. He has ever lived peacefully with his fellow citizens and will continue to do so, if only politics does not interfere.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down The Memory Lane - The Times of DD

The weekend was bad, rather not so good; my back ache had buckled me to the bed, not allowing me to stay in one position for more than 4-5 minutes. I was surfing through the television channels lying on bed, and soon I noticed that I was doing nothing but going from 0 to 54 (that is the only number of channels I have on my television) and then again 0 to 54, and then again and again. I was tired watching that Indo-Pak terror debate, reality shows were irritating me, and I couldn’t handle any more breaking news with my broken back, neither was I interested in any kind of saas-bahu or the rona-dhona type of soaps, south Indian films dubbed in hindi were a big NO, I was in no mood for business news either, I had also had enough of Ghajini and Rab Ne trailors, songs, and reviews. I remember, only thing that possibly kept me glued to any particular channel was the advertisements – Limca (I love this ad for its jingle, the zing, and the babe, of course), Raymond, Bingo , few insurance

The Tormenting Tale of TimesJobs

Important: Please read my earlier post on Timesjobs.com . The reference to context will then be simpler. My experience with Timesjobs.com has been vexatious. It has almost turned out to be like "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" . If Emily saw ghosts at 3am in the morning, I would often wake up with the nightmare of Timesjobs.com personnel (mostly a Sonia Oberoi or Rekha Singh) asking me if "I am in the right job" or someone else offering me a "Citibank Credit Card" Yes, a credit card indeed. Timesjobs.com itself is out of job or providing jobs and hence has started selling credit cards - IRONY, I surmise. All my attempts to "UNSUBSCRIBE" from their job alert and mailing services have failed, to the extent that I wrote to YAHOO to please have my email address either deleted or changed (I will post a screen-shot of a reply from YAHOO SECURITY TEAM in my next post). However, I still made a brave, despondent attempt to "UNSUBSCRIBE" f

Existing In Chaos

50 days! I have been spinning in hectic schedules of work and a strenuous life of intermediate intensity. I have had hardly anytime to catch up with the news, especially at this time when elections are just around the corner. During all these frenzied days of my work life, I have terribly missed Karan (Thapar), Rajdeep, Arnab, and Udayan & Mitali (Mukherjees), of course. Yes, I did catch up with the Oscar ceremony and the hyped Slumdog jazz though. I am exhausted now. I tried to squeeze in some time yesterday to go through the recent political news (I wasn’t interested in what is happening to Kasab or was eager to know about India’s heroic cricketing triumphs). I pulled out some news archives from various websites, newspapers, and did watch news channels for whole three hours yesterday. I liked the oath taking Lead India 09 campaign, I liked Aamir’s representation to think better for this country in one another Lead India campaign, I loved the awareness and initiatives that Jaago