Skip to main content

The Complementary Sex

“10 lakh girls missing from Indian population”, I came across this curiosity-filled headline on a news channel’s website. The news piece spoke about the female foeticide, sex determination, selective abortion etc and that’s how there was a deficit of 10 lakh girls. You may wish to go through the complete article - http://www.ibnlive.com/news/10-lakh-girls-missing-from-indian-population/60570-3.html.

It is really surprising that such acts are still being practiced despite many of us boasting about women’s liberlisation and their equality. Though many things around have changed, somehow the overall mentality of our society of looking at the opposite sex is still the same. The male ego gets hurt easily when he sees woman power rising, however, he loves woman on top in some cases. The gender bias that the rural illiterate stick to is somewhat understood considering that their mindsets are still ruled by the long inherited opinions of their seniors. However, the article stated above mentions that even the educated urban class believes in gender classification and tend to choose a boy over a girl. Surprisingly, one study in the UK conducted by Oxford University reveals that Indians there too abort their daughters at the pre-natal stage. I wonder what would happen to the sex ratio. Though there are many movies and novels which have showcased women suppression, molestation etc, I am particularly reminded of a movie, “
Matrubhoomi”, which illustrates the implications of female foeticide and the gender imbalance. We don’t want girls of our own and our outlook would never change on this. However, his (eye)balls pop-out when he sees bulging bosoms, his sight gets stuck when she flaunts her cleavage, he enjoys the scene most when she walks up to a chemist to buy a female condom, and ofcourse he likes her the most when it comes to the universal act of pleasure giving in the bed. He takes pleasure in all this and even may be praises, loves, and adores her at the time. However, when it comes to equality and her freedom, he shies away. Our society for long has been rehearsing different set of rules for males and females.

She is today a CEO, a MLA, a fighter pilot, a fashion icon, or a smart investment savvy housewife. However, all these are just exceptions I guess. There is a large chunk of this opposite sex that still lies underprivileged and suppressed. She is wooed, eyed, beaten up, raped but is seldom respected. In a typical Indian family which cares more for the society than its family members (mostly female members), her opinion is least important and she is hardly ever made a part of any discussions or decisions. She has forever been taken for granted, even when it is the question of her own marriage. She still does not have the complete right to decide with whom she should spend rest of her life. The day she hits 25 or she finishes her education (if she is allowed to do so), whichever is earlier, groom hunting becomes the topmost priority of the family. Does the girl want to get married? Who cares, we think that she should get married; its high time now, says mom and pop. Does she think she is ready for marriage? Oh come on who is bothered and we are not doing anything wrong for her. When parents themselves can be so suppressive and mental molesters, why to talk about outsiders. She is anyway going to be suppressed, frustrated and rarely cared for, whether it is inside or outside.

She is of the opposite sex and does not deserve as much as he does. Since the ancient times man has been considered to be powerful and the bread earner. And that eventually leads us to a conclusion that opposite sex means weak and not as capable as a man. That is not how we were made and not for what we were made for. She is complementary, someone that complements a man, balances and harmonizes with him in every aspect, completes him. He probably got ‘opposite’ in wrong sense, she actually means ‘the complementary sex’. And she is the best compliment he ever got – a mother, a sister, a wife, a daughter.

With International Women’s Day, just a day away, here’s wishing all my “beautiful & pretty” readers, “A Very Happy Women’s Day”. Cheers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down The Memory Lane - The Times of DD

The weekend was bad, rather not so good; my back ache had buckled me to the bed, not allowing me to stay in one position for more than 4-5 minutes. I was surfing through the television channels lying on bed, and soon I noticed that I was doing nothing but going from 0 to 54 (that is the only number of channels I have on my television) and then again 0 to 54, and then again and again. I was tired watching that Indo-Pak terror debate, reality shows were irritating me, and I couldn’t handle any more breaking news with my broken back, neither was I interested in any kind of saas-bahu or the rona-dhona type of soaps, south Indian films dubbed in hindi were a big NO, I was in no mood for business news either, I had also had enough of Ghajini and Rab Ne trailors, songs, and reviews. I remember, only thing that possibly kept me glued to any particular channel was the advertisements – Limca (I love this ad for its jingle, the zing, and the babe, of course), Raymond, Bingo , few insurance

The Tormenting Tale of TimesJobs

Important: Please read my earlier post on Timesjobs.com . The reference to context will then be simpler. My experience with Timesjobs.com has been vexatious. It has almost turned out to be like "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" . If Emily saw ghosts at 3am in the morning, I would often wake up with the nightmare of Timesjobs.com personnel (mostly a Sonia Oberoi or Rekha Singh) asking me if "I am in the right job" or someone else offering me a "Citibank Credit Card" Yes, a credit card indeed. Timesjobs.com itself is out of job or providing jobs and hence has started selling credit cards - IRONY, I surmise. All my attempts to "UNSUBSCRIBE" from their job alert and mailing services have failed, to the extent that I wrote to YAHOO to please have my email address either deleted or changed (I will post a screen-shot of a reply from YAHOO SECURITY TEAM in my next post). However, I still made a brave, despondent attempt to "UNSUBSCRIBE" f

Existing In Chaos

50 days! I have been spinning in hectic schedules of work and a strenuous life of intermediate intensity. I have had hardly anytime to catch up with the news, especially at this time when elections are just around the corner. During all these frenzied days of my work life, I have terribly missed Karan (Thapar), Rajdeep, Arnab, and Udayan & Mitali (Mukherjees), of course. Yes, I did catch up with the Oscar ceremony and the hyped Slumdog jazz though. I am exhausted now. I tried to squeeze in some time yesterday to go through the recent political news (I wasn’t interested in what is happening to Kasab or was eager to know about India’s heroic cricketing triumphs). I pulled out some news archives from various websites, newspapers, and did watch news channels for whole three hours yesterday. I liked the oath taking Lead India 09 campaign, I liked Aamir’s representation to think better for this country in one another Lead India campaign, I loved the awareness and initiatives that Jaago