Skip to main content

Yeh Hai Youngistaan Meri Jaan!

A few days back I was watching some program on television, where youngsters of our country (college going, just out of college, and similar others) were asked some questions about ISRO. The questions were quite simple like “What is the full form of ISRO?”, “What is done at ISRO?”, “Why was ISRO in news few days ago?”, and so on. Surprisingly there was only one who knew what ISRO is all about, the rest, shamelessly, gave any weird answers that could have made ISRO founders and scientist die of shame. Much similarly, the “mobile-mall-multiplex” generation is also confused between 15th August and 26th January (aaahhh, even some of our politicians are confused about this), and does not know who is the father of our nation, and does not know our national game, and many such things required for national general knowledge. Awful!

When these same youngsters are asked about Rakhi Sawant, they jump up in joy saying, “O yes, I saw that how she slapped her boyfriend and what drama she did during the reality show”. Do you know that Harbhajan slapped Sreeshanth, and prompt will come reply - “ofcourse man”. What are you currently following, “IPL, what else dude” or “Saif Kareena affair, it’s hot ya” is the response. You know that inflation is at all time high, reaching 8%, “aaahhh come on, who cares”. We are all crazy about SRK’s item song, what is Shahid doing after the breakup, IPL matches, Sanjay Dutt’s recent marriage, Prince falling into something, some girl in a village eloping with her love and the gruesome incidents that follow, and all other nonsense that is of zero national importance or any significance for the self. Do we really need to follow why Rakhi Sawant cried or which colour sari Aishwarya is wearing or where some celebrity is enjoying his/her vacation or who is shopping what.

We might well blame it on the media and say they show it. Yes, may be media is feeding us with those news snippets but are we too so gossip hungry that we pay so much attention to all such types of news. It could be good blame game and well turn to be a chicken-n-egg story. It may be so that media is selling all stupid things to us but why are we buying it. We are in majority, can’t we ask for what we want to know and see? News channels can very well show awareness programs on child labour, female foeticide, incapability of our politicians or conduct talk shows or something similar. We all are addicted to watching star studded shows, same kind of award functions, peeping into personal lives of celebrities, and so on. We are enticed with the gossip material and enjoy it to the core, rarely caring about the important things that are going on around and which really would matter to us. Neither are we (and the youngistaan, in particular) trying to seek rational news or information nor are we asking anyone to help us with it. We prefer watching what Bhajji’s mother said after he slapped Sree than what Dr. Kalaam would have said about our space research programs, we love watching SRK hooting shouting than Tendulkar playing some master strokes, Hrithik Roshan getting a baby matters a lot to us than finding how many female babies were killed at birth…the list is endless.

Also read - http://www.ibnlive.com/blogs/rajdeepsardesai/1/50980/twenty20-the-page-3-of-cricket.html

And by the way, ISRO means Indian Space Research Organisation ;-)

Comments

sandipwrites said…
Truly ISRO launching satellites recently which does the nation proud has been overshadowed by Bhajji-Sreeshanth incident. It is a pity.
Anonymous said…
Yes what you says seems to be true. There are few nice programs on television like talk shows, debates that you mention but not many pay attention to it. It just seems like some kind of boring stuff for us and youngsters these days. No one is questioning or even bothered about the bad roads we have or the farmer suicides or the rising prices of daily essentials. We like to stay in the illusionary world where Kareena, Rakhis, Shilpas soothe us with their hip shaking dances and Shahrukhs, Salmans, Akshays woo us with their iron pumped figures.
Good job done with this writing.
Anonymous said…
Bravo...an eye openor writing for the youth. The root cause arise from 1] Parents, 2]TV 3]School,
TV channels are earning money but what about Parents & school teachers? May god save the country.
Anonymous said…
Hi Amol....guess you are right , think mobile-multiplex-mall genration is fine...they have no pretentions.....dumb and smart equally like george bush......its actually the responsible set who lack character and spine....

Popular posts from this blog

Down The Memory Lane - The Times of DD

The weekend was bad, rather not so good; my back ache had buckled me to the bed, not allowing me to stay in one position for more than 4-5 minutes. I was surfing through the television channels lying on bed, and soon I noticed that I was doing nothing but going from 0 to 54 (that is the only number of channels I have on my television) and then again 0 to 54, and then again and again. I was tired watching that Indo-Pak terror debate, reality shows were irritating me, and I couldn’t handle any more breaking news with my broken back, neither was I interested in any kind of saas-bahu or the rona-dhona type of soaps, south Indian films dubbed in hindi were a big NO, I was in no mood for business news either, I had also had enough of Ghajini and Rab Ne trailors, songs, and reviews. I remember, only thing that possibly kept me glued to any particular channel was the advertisements – Limca (I love this ad for its jingle, the zing, and the babe, of course), Raymond, Bingo , few insurance

The Tormenting Tale of TimesJobs

Important: Please read my earlier post on Timesjobs.com . The reference to context will then be simpler. My experience with Timesjobs.com has been vexatious. It has almost turned out to be like "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" . If Emily saw ghosts at 3am in the morning, I would often wake up with the nightmare of Timesjobs.com personnel (mostly a Sonia Oberoi or Rekha Singh) asking me if "I am in the right job" or someone else offering me a "Citibank Credit Card" Yes, a credit card indeed. Timesjobs.com itself is out of job or providing jobs and hence has started selling credit cards - IRONY, I surmise. All my attempts to "UNSUBSCRIBE" from their job alert and mailing services have failed, to the extent that I wrote to YAHOO to please have my email address either deleted or changed (I will post a screen-shot of a reply from YAHOO SECURITY TEAM in my next post). However, I still made a brave, despondent attempt to "UNSUBSCRIBE" f

Existing In Chaos

50 days! I have been spinning in hectic schedules of work and a strenuous life of intermediate intensity. I have had hardly anytime to catch up with the news, especially at this time when elections are just around the corner. During all these frenzied days of my work life, I have terribly missed Karan (Thapar), Rajdeep, Arnab, and Udayan & Mitali (Mukherjees), of course. Yes, I did catch up with the Oscar ceremony and the hyped Slumdog jazz though. I am exhausted now. I tried to squeeze in some time yesterday to go through the recent political news (I wasn’t interested in what is happening to Kasab or was eager to know about India’s heroic cricketing triumphs). I pulled out some news archives from various websites, newspapers, and did watch news channels for whole three hours yesterday. I liked the oath taking Lead India 09 campaign, I liked Aamir’s representation to think better for this country in one another Lead India campaign, I loved the awareness and initiatives that Jaago