Skip to main content

We, The People

It has been over a year that I am taking the same route from home to office and back. Nothing has changed ever since except the face of the road that I travel on, from muddy to stony to rocky to messy to bumpy to dusty and so on, needless to mention the bottlenecks and eventual traffic jams. The road was being mended from time to time – widening, concretization, but it stopped one day only to begin again just before the onset of monsoon. There were troughs, craters, humps everything possible on that road and then there were rains too to mess it up further. I was surprised (I was beyond everything to get worried, frustrated or angry) with the planning, vision, and estimation of the body governing the road renovation – right in times of rains they took up the execution task. It doesn’t take much of logic to anticipate that it would be better to complete the work before the rains so that commuters have a hassle free ride/drive.

This is just a micro example of the kind of leadership we are living under. We have many Advanis, Mayawatis, Thackerays, Pawars, Karunanidhis who swear and live up to their dreams of exploiting the weaker section for their own good. We proudly call our country as a developing nation and emerging market, and that “ing” will never change to “ed” till the time these “powerfuls” (or powerfools) reign our nation, commonsense is something that they really are away from. The country is still amidst the black clouds of caste discrimination, religious hatred, reservation and quota system, political blame game, and pseudo liberalization and globalization.

We have completely forgotten that we still carry an identity of rural country and agriculture was our nation’s nucleus. The saga of dying farmers is very much ignored and no one wants to look into that matter, they (leaders) like to play the dirty game of politics but refrain from dirtying their clothes, traveling into pockets of rural India. I read recently, an editor was abused and his property was smashed down just because he was against the idea of having Shivaji’s (the great Maratha warrior) statue installed in the Arabian sea (much like the Statue of Liberty). He instead felt that the amount to be spent on the statue can be used for farmer’s relief. What was wrong in that? No that he didn’t respect Shivaji Maharaj, but he just inspected if there really was a need to build that statue. He probably had just applied some logic, but logic has no place in political agenda and he faced the consequences of it.

Some few months ago, our nation was bitten by reservation and quota syndrome, and Mr. Arjun Singh was just desperate to get it done, he finally did it. Meritocracy has no place in our country, its all about just bureaucracy and diplomacy – a well planned episode to gather vote bank, elections just being a year away. Students who actually deserved to be at IITs and IIMs may have to lose out to some SC, ST, OBC and so on. What measures does government have to take care of the careers of students who probably have lost their seats? And what is the guarantee that the reserved class admitted into these institutes will do wonders to our nation’s growth and economy? Is the politics going the right way catering to needs of the younger generation. The real powerhouse (should I say so) is being ruled by people who have crossed retirement age. The generation gap reflects here as well much like it exists in any family.

The recent mandate regarding the reservations in government jobs that let to public revolt and violence in north of India. The gujjars need a reserved class status and there are many such communities who have filed for getting a reserved class status. Why wouldn’t this happen when you make the entry free and open?. When no other requirement is needed other than being a backward for a government job (still considered the most secure job even if not lucrative), people will flock and strive (and even go beyond violent protest) to get that “backward” status. Have we not seen people flooding outside Big Bazaar when there is a heavy discount sale? Have we not crowded around areas that say something is free? And then there is rush, pull, fall happening. Much similar is the case with gujjars and other communities. I wish the government could have envisioned all this, not a single leader could anticipate these consequences (not that I could but then they are leaders right?). It is no more a stigma to call yourself a backward or a harijan (if we were to date back a century ago).

When there are 100 minds, the coalition that rules the country, the governance becomes difficult. If we have so proudly borrowed so many things from the west, I wish we could also replicate their style of governance – not just the ruling and opposition party part of it. For us politics is not about reforms or growth but just money and power game. Who should we blame “the politicians for playing so bad” or “we, the people for not choosing our leaders correctly”.
Even I don’t know…may be what one of my friend says is true – “hum kide makodon ki tarah hain, ek din unke bhari bharkam pairon ke niche daba diye jayenge” (we are like insects and pests, and will be stamped under their [politician’s] powerful feet).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down The Memory Lane - The Times of DD

The weekend was bad, rather not so good; my back ache had buckled me to the bed, not allowing me to stay in one position for more than 4-5 minutes. I was surfing through the television channels lying on bed, and soon I noticed that I was doing nothing but going from 0 to 54 (that is the only number of channels I have on my television) and then again 0 to 54, and then again and again. I was tired watching that Indo-Pak terror debate, reality shows were irritating me, and I couldn’t handle any more breaking news with my broken back, neither was I interested in any kind of saas-bahu or the rona-dhona type of soaps, south Indian films dubbed in hindi were a big NO, I was in no mood for business news either, I had also had enough of Ghajini and Rab Ne trailors, songs, and reviews. I remember, only thing that possibly kept me glued to any particular channel was the advertisements – Limca (I love this ad for its jingle, the zing, and the babe, of course), Raymond, Bingo , few insurance

The Tormenting Tale of TimesJobs

Important: Please read my earlier post on Timesjobs.com . The reference to context will then be simpler. My experience with Timesjobs.com has been vexatious. It has almost turned out to be like "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" . If Emily saw ghosts at 3am in the morning, I would often wake up with the nightmare of Timesjobs.com personnel (mostly a Sonia Oberoi or Rekha Singh) asking me if "I am in the right job" or someone else offering me a "Citibank Credit Card" Yes, a credit card indeed. Timesjobs.com itself is out of job or providing jobs and hence has started selling credit cards - IRONY, I surmise. All my attempts to "UNSUBSCRIBE" from their job alert and mailing services have failed, to the extent that I wrote to YAHOO to please have my email address either deleted or changed (I will post a screen-shot of a reply from YAHOO SECURITY TEAM in my next post). However, I still made a brave, despondent attempt to "UNSUBSCRIBE" f

Existing In Chaos

50 days! I have been spinning in hectic schedules of work and a strenuous life of intermediate intensity. I have had hardly anytime to catch up with the news, especially at this time when elections are just around the corner. During all these frenzied days of my work life, I have terribly missed Karan (Thapar), Rajdeep, Arnab, and Udayan & Mitali (Mukherjees), of course. Yes, I did catch up with the Oscar ceremony and the hyped Slumdog jazz though. I am exhausted now. I tried to squeeze in some time yesterday to go through the recent political news (I wasn’t interested in what is happening to Kasab or was eager to know about India’s heroic cricketing triumphs). I pulled out some news archives from various websites, newspapers, and did watch news channels for whole three hours yesterday. I liked the oath taking Lead India 09 campaign, I liked Aamir’s representation to think better for this country in one another Lead India campaign, I loved the awareness and initiatives that Jaago