Skip to main content

Cheers Chennai...

Last week had been hectic working in Chennai, the shift timings and the enormous tasks that I had ahead in front of me. However, I did enjoy the comfort of a cosy guest house, a private cab, and some wonderful people over there. I was a little apprehensive when I left for Chennai, thinking about how things would be there, the people, the travel, the food, the weather, and the language ofcourse. “Yeh flight aagey Madurai jayegi kya” (will this flight go ahead to Madurai?) asked me a fellow passenger in the flight, to which I had replied “haan shayad” (yes, I guess), and that was the last time I used Hindi on that day and for rest of the week. As soon as I landed on the airport there, a gentle-heated-breeze flew across my face and indeed it was a warm welcome. Out on the streets, after taking a pre-paid taxi, it was fun finding out the way to the guest house, the driver couldn’t understand me and vice versa. This repeated for the whole week with all the drivers that I traveled with, using hand signs to tell them the directions, asking them to stop, I sometimes felt that I was shooting for movie “Black” – conveying messages using hands, it was fun though and I often ended up laughing, smiling, giggling at myself. While going to Chennai, I was thinking what kind of place, what am I going to take back from here. But there were few things I was gathering to take back, at least when I am alone I can laugh to myself remembering of the above activities. Though there was something coming more, least expected, and that incident would go down as one of the most cherished moment in my biography.

The week finally ended after tight schedules and it was now time to rejuvenate with some weekend masti on Friday night. I was joined by two of my local friends and they short listed some of the best places for their guest (me that is .. heee heee heee) to unwind with some music and beer. We finalized on one spot and rushed to it (11pm is last order in Chennai, officially ofcourse…I missed Mumbai at this time) so that we get enough time to enjoy, I heard some music oozing out as the door opened and closed, relief – some English music at last (I had ruled out Hindi quite obviously). Like every time, I started to walk confidently through the door, greeting the gatekeeper with a smile, but he stopped me…how dare he, I thought, no one ever in Mumbai or Pune did that, on the contrary I have always walked inside a bar, restaurant, pub, disco with some huge fellow saluting a tiny chap like me. This stunned two of my friends as well, they spoke to him in Tamil asking him what the matter was, is the restaurant closed but its not 11 yet, and so on. The gatekeeper, a massive man that he was, humbly replied pointing at me “age proof saaaaarrrrr (sir) for this boy”. And all three of us broke into laughter, so much so that one of my friends sat on the floor holding his stomach. I also felt so much pity for that poor gatekeeper that my entire ego (when he had stopped me) had vanished. The gatekeeper gave some stern looks to us and stood there gazing in confusion. “Baassss (boss) he is not a kid, he is a married man” said one friend and continued laughing. The gatekeeper was feeling a little shy now, his face showed. I slowly composed myself, removed PAN card from my wallet and showed it to the gatekeeper, he got more confused and rapidly moved his eyes from my face to my photograph on the PAN card, and then he looked at the card more closely to check the birth date. After he was thoroughly convinced at I was 18+ he let us in. We all finally entered still laughing and almost coughing by now, weekend had started we said, what a fun.

“I bet nobody can tell your correct age”, said the other friend who finally started talking after that hilarious laughter storm. “Yeah, I know”, I replied.

“Seriously man, no one can ever understand your age by just looking at your face”, the friend continued.

“Hmmm….I know that too and I don’t use Santoor soap either…haa haa haaa haaa”, I said. We continued laughing again at lower decibels this time, and started sipping on our beer. What a way to end the week and the Chennai trip.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good One yaar.....:)))))))))
Anonymous said…
Buddy ... your views are amazing ! Keep it up !



Cheers !

Shailja
Anonymous said…
Hillarious man...
yes Amol...u look very young...

i too was shocked when u told me u were married.

thought u had just passed out from college :-)

Yeah chennai is a place where no one speaks Hindi ...i had the same experience ,but in the Bellsouth prj there ,we moved as a team and we we had lot of Fun....

Go to places like Mahbalipuram, TNagar,..Kodaikanal is close too....do visit with friends...
Anonymous said…
your writings are among the best that i have read. i have gone through all your topics and its amazing to see that you can handle any topics so well...good work i must say

keep writing, would like to see your book on my shelf soon...

Popular posts from this blog

Down The Memory Lane - The Times of DD

The weekend was bad, rather not so good; my back ache had buckled me to the bed, not allowing me to stay in one position for more than 4-5 minutes. I was surfing through the television channels lying on bed, and soon I noticed that I was doing nothing but going from 0 to 54 (that is the only number of channels I have on my television) and then again 0 to 54, and then again and again. I was tired watching that Indo-Pak terror debate, reality shows were irritating me, and I couldn’t handle any more breaking news with my broken back, neither was I interested in any kind of saas-bahu or the rona-dhona type of soaps, south Indian films dubbed in hindi were a big NO, I was in no mood for business news either, I had also had enough of Ghajini and Rab Ne trailors, songs, and reviews. I remember, only thing that possibly kept me glued to any particular channel was the advertisements – Limca (I love this ad for its jingle, the zing, and the babe, of course), Raymond, Bingo , few insurance

The Tormenting Tale of TimesJobs

Important: Please read my earlier post on Timesjobs.com . The reference to context will then be simpler. My experience with Timesjobs.com has been vexatious. It has almost turned out to be like "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" . If Emily saw ghosts at 3am in the morning, I would often wake up with the nightmare of Timesjobs.com personnel (mostly a Sonia Oberoi or Rekha Singh) asking me if "I am in the right job" or someone else offering me a "Citibank Credit Card" Yes, a credit card indeed. Timesjobs.com itself is out of job or providing jobs and hence has started selling credit cards - IRONY, I surmise. All my attempts to "UNSUBSCRIBE" from their job alert and mailing services have failed, to the extent that I wrote to YAHOO to please have my email address either deleted or changed (I will post a screen-shot of a reply from YAHOO SECURITY TEAM in my next post). However, I still made a brave, despondent attempt to "UNSUBSCRIBE" f

Existing In Chaos

50 days! I have been spinning in hectic schedules of work and a strenuous life of intermediate intensity. I have had hardly anytime to catch up with the news, especially at this time when elections are just around the corner. During all these frenzied days of my work life, I have terribly missed Karan (Thapar), Rajdeep, Arnab, and Udayan & Mitali (Mukherjees), of course. Yes, I did catch up with the Oscar ceremony and the hyped Slumdog jazz though. I am exhausted now. I tried to squeeze in some time yesterday to go through the recent political news (I wasn’t interested in what is happening to Kasab or was eager to know about India’s heroic cricketing triumphs). I pulled out some news archives from various websites, newspapers, and did watch news channels for whole three hours yesterday. I liked the oath taking Lead India 09 campaign, I liked Aamir’s representation to think better for this country in one another Lead India campaign, I loved the awareness and initiatives that Jaago