Skip to main content

The Unclear Deal

Oops did I say unclear there in the title, apologies, but I meant “The Nuclear Deal”, one and the same though, nuclear or unclear.

Yes, the nuclear deal is still very much unclear in the minds of many people. The word ‘nuclear’ would straightaway mean something related to wars and nuclear warfare. However, there are other aspects too to the ongoing nuclear deal fiasco. What interested (and worried of course) me more was the political pandemonium that is happening in the country. While the UPA might have been apprehensive about sharing the nuke deal text, it is no reason in any way to pull down the government.

The Left is left with nothing in hand for the extremist view that they upheld against the centrist Congress party. The leftist who so very much swear by their ideologies of communist manifesto have finally joined hands with BJP who are on the other extreme of Left’s principles – communists join communalists. Had the same deal come from China, the Lefts would have given their complete support, singing to the common tunes of communism. But Indo-US is a big no-no for them. As rightly, Chidambaram said, “there are some people in India who do not want us to get ahead of China” and he definitely was hinting at the Left party. When China has elicited elaborate plans for nuclear power production, there is nothing wrong in India trying to emulate the same. However, the Left does not think that is right.

All this eventually lead to “trust vote” campaign which is all about throwing money to pull MPs, playing all sorts of dirty games to woo the MPs, and hence dumping all the ideologies, integrity principles into a thrash bin. MPs in jailed sentenced for murders, scams are being released for a day so that they cast their vote – should these people be eligible even? Bed ridden, medically critical MPs are being rushed to the parliament to side their favourites. I wonder if they had even seriously rushed the aam aadmi’s call for necessities like road, water, electricity. MPs are being paid Rs. 25 crores for lining up with either the “fors” or the “againsts” of the nuclear deal. Is the Income Tax department going to intervene from where this money is coming and levy tax on those to whom it is going?

Mr. Advani, all desperate for becoming the Prime Minister in his 80’s is shouting all illogical statements. In Hindi they say “buddha satthiyaa gaya hai”; true it seems in his case. He mentioned in his speech that he is ok with the nuclear deal but what about the inflation, the performance of UPA is poor. But I guess the whole mess of trust vote had started with the “yes or no” on the nuke deal. And if Advani is talking about the inflation then there is even GDP growth to look at, consistently in last four years UPA has given a 8-9% growth, compared to 5-6% that the BJP led government had given during their term. And if Advani is not saying no to nuclear deal, why not support it and get it going. Allegations, purely erratic in nature just for the PM seat seems to be Advani’s only agenda now.
But wait, Advani has a strong competition, Mayawati who is also all set to become a PM. Why otherwise do you think she has offered to vote against the UPA? Forget BJP alone, but would Advani allow a dalit lady to be a Prime Minister, impossible it seems. I had a hearty laugh on one of Mayawati’s statement that the nuclear deal is against the Muslim community. Any issue she handles will have caste or religious bias to it – a hefty vote bank that she has. Some Muslim kazi’s were asked if the deal was actually against their community and how, they humbly answered they don’t even know what the nuclear deal is. Does she even know what the deal is all about? I remember Mayawati’s statement "The whole world have to face the consequences of a nuclear war between US and Iran and the blame for which will fall on the UPA government if it goes ahead with the deal,” War? Does the lady holding Bachelors in Education from a Delhi college not know that this nuclear deal is not about war but about using the non operational nuclear reactors for civil use? Does she not know that it can solve our country’s power generation and electricity problem? And if she doesn’t, she doesn’t deserve to be a Prime Minister.

Everyone does have a selfish motive, as politics is much about power and money, and of course exploitation of the people it governs. The “me-first-you-later” struggle will go on till the greed is not satisfied. However, I don’t think that the nuke deal should be a reason enough to topple the government, especially after when the Missile Man of India, Abdul Kalam, has himself endorsed the nuclear deal. Who better than him can understand the pros and cons of nuclear energy. Moreover, the nuclear deal states that the Uranium be strictly used for civil purposes.

While I write this, there are speeches going on in the Parliament as a part of proceedings of the trust vote and there are all sorts of efforts going to save the government and to topple the government. However, I feel that UPA would emerge out safe, as I think that an intellectual like Dr. Manmohan Singh will not take any errant decision for the country. While fighting back the pseudo literates would be tough, the UPA government with backings of cerebral bureaucrats will emerge successful, as far as the nuclear deal is concerned.

Otherwise the mess in the political arena would anyways continue with the blame game flourishing on some or the other issue. I remember one of fast friend from Bangalore fondly says “This country is going to dogs, I tell you”. True it seems, just that this breed is not as loyal and faithful as a dog.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You have become Vishnu cha avatar these days! Commenting on everything :) :) Good one.

Tushar
Anonymous said…
Hey,

This times blog is by far your best..........

Kiran
Anonymous said…
Alffffffffffffffffffaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Anonymous said…
Awesome blog BHAI , HATS OFF
Anonymous said…
Waiting for a Madhur Bhandarkar style movie from you.. :-)

Ananya

Popular posts from this blog

Down The Memory Lane - The Times of DD

The weekend was bad, rather not so good; my back ache had buckled me to the bed, not allowing me to stay in one position for more than 4-5 minutes. I was surfing through the television channels lying on bed, and soon I noticed that I was doing nothing but going from 0 to 54 (that is the only number of channels I have on my television) and then again 0 to 54, and then again and again. I was tired watching that Indo-Pak terror debate, reality shows were irritating me, and I couldn’t handle any more breaking news with my broken back, neither was I interested in any kind of saas-bahu or the rona-dhona type of soaps, south Indian films dubbed in hindi were a big NO, I was in no mood for business news either, I had also had enough of Ghajini and Rab Ne trailors, songs, and reviews. I remember, only thing that possibly kept me glued to any particular channel was the advertisements – Limca (I love this ad for its jingle, the zing, and the babe, of course), Raymond, Bingo , few insurance

The Tormenting Tale of TimesJobs

Important: Please read my earlier post on Timesjobs.com . The reference to context will then be simpler. My experience with Timesjobs.com has been vexatious. It has almost turned out to be like "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" . If Emily saw ghosts at 3am in the morning, I would often wake up with the nightmare of Timesjobs.com personnel (mostly a Sonia Oberoi or Rekha Singh) asking me if "I am in the right job" or someone else offering me a "Citibank Credit Card" Yes, a credit card indeed. Timesjobs.com itself is out of job or providing jobs and hence has started selling credit cards - IRONY, I surmise. All my attempts to "UNSUBSCRIBE" from their job alert and mailing services have failed, to the extent that I wrote to YAHOO to please have my email address either deleted or changed (I will post a screen-shot of a reply from YAHOO SECURITY TEAM in my next post). However, I still made a brave, despondent attempt to "UNSUBSCRIBE" f

Existing In Chaos

50 days! I have been spinning in hectic schedules of work and a strenuous life of intermediate intensity. I have had hardly anytime to catch up with the news, especially at this time when elections are just around the corner. During all these frenzied days of my work life, I have terribly missed Karan (Thapar), Rajdeep, Arnab, and Udayan & Mitali (Mukherjees), of course. Yes, I did catch up with the Oscar ceremony and the hyped Slumdog jazz though. I am exhausted now. I tried to squeeze in some time yesterday to go through the recent political news (I wasn’t interested in what is happening to Kasab or was eager to know about India’s heroic cricketing triumphs). I pulled out some news archives from various websites, newspapers, and did watch news channels for whole three hours yesterday. I liked the oath taking Lead India 09 campaign, I liked Aamir’s representation to think better for this country in one another Lead India campaign, I loved the awareness and initiatives that Jaago