Skip to main content

Celebrating Rare Togetherness of the Titans

“Righteous Kill” released last week, I haven’t watched it yet. However, what has excited me is that two legendary actors in the history of movies share the screen. Al Pacino and Robert De Niro, after their ephemeral charisma in “Heat” (1995), are together in 2008’s "Righteous Kill" sharing equal space on screen. You need not be just a movie buff to understand what I am trying to say or why am I showing such a moronic enthusiasm. You have to be a movie maniac; movies should flow through your bloodstream, especially those of the epic era, which have laid a strong foundation to the story telling of modern times. You may just look at these Hollywood heavyweights as actors, but go and ask the ardent movie-goers of the 70s (and early 80s), and they all will recite a similar rhyme – both, Al Pacino as well as Robert De Niro are indeed the titans. Teens may not understand what the shouting is all about.

It has been quite long, almost 13 years after “Godfather II” (1974), that these two best dramatic actors of their generation, are acting in a same movie - “Righteous Kill” (2008). The movie may not do well at the box-office. However, it will be enticing to watch the exhibits of these two veterans.

Specifically talking about Godfather, which exposed Pacino and De Nero to much acclaimed fame (awards and nominations for the Oscars), and launched them in the super league, it was Marlon Brando who electrified the origination of promising actors, and the two (Pacino and De Niro) further continued to inspire myriad numbers of modern day thespians.

Pacino and De Niro were not necessarily handsome, glamorous, or the dude-types (as we might want to call someone today). However, their performances were stunning and you wouldn’t ever feel enough of it. You could see their subtle performance at one moment and an angry gangster at the other. The two avoided typecasting for a specific genre, they graduated through continuous metamorphosis from movie to movie. See the skinny De Niro in 1973’s “Mean Streets” and then the 1980’s “Raging Bull”, in which he gained a record 60 pounds for the role of a boxer. De Niro won Oscar for “Raging Bull”. You might want to argue that 1973-1980 is enough time to gain 60 pounds, may be. Let me just enlighten you - during the shooting of “Godfather II” [1974], Niro read an autobiography of Jake La Motta and was inspired to make a movie on it. It took him four years to convince Martin Scorsese, Niro’s associate then. “Goodfellas” (1990), “The Untouchables” (1987), “Taxi Driver” (1976), “Bang the Drum Slowly” (1973) are among De Niro’s best performances.

Ditto for Al Pacino, the movies surely are different, but the performance and portrayal of talent isn’t. Pacino selected contemporaneous urban characters for his role and made his mark. Watch, for e.g. Frank Serpico in “Serpico” (1973), an undercover New York City cop or the ill fated thief in “Dog Day Afternoon” (1975). However, the most commendable performance ever is the drug mafia, Tony Montana (a fiend but an delightful one) in “Scarface” (1983). The movie earned unimaginable reputation and is regarded as a cult gangster movie. If you have loved “Agneepath”, go and watch “Scarface”, and you will be daunted to see the similarities. I read a statement somewhere, “If you thought Al Pacino was good in “Scarface”, you have got to watch Amitabh in Agneepath!” Hello, who ever made this comment; the order should have been reverse. It is Amitabh who draws inspiration (copies rather) from Al Pacino and not otherwise. Even the music themes are copied straight from this Hollywood flick into our desi version. Al Pacino is considered among the most influential actors, though he was nominated for the Oscars seven times until 1991, he finally received one for “Scent of a Woman” (1992).

“Godfather II” (1974), is both a sequel and a prequel to the famous gangster movie – “Godfather”. While Al Pacino plays the current Don Micheal Corleone, Robert De Niro plays the young Micheal Corleone in the flashbacks. Though it is said that Godfather II had the two talent powerhouses together on screen, they did not share the screen. Even in “Heat” (1995), it seems they had shot their scenes separately. So may be it’s the first time that the two New Yorkers will make an appearance together on the screen – a rare feast.

It would be almost impossible to imagine what the America’s greatest two, together, will serve us with, when we have already had an extravaganza of their individual masterpieces.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Kahi kalala nahi.....amhi adani ahot dusara kay ? nusate dada kondke and ata bharat jadhav che picture baghun ajun kay honar ?

Prasad
Anonymous said…
Cool!
Anonymous said…
Yes, it was seemingly difficult to get these two actors together, as Al had once confessed that he had a great rivalry with Niro. It would be great to watch them together - in fact it is awesome, I saw the movie already - quite analogous to Gene Hackman and William Dafoe in Mississippo Burining - two investigating officers cracking down a case.

Great stuff buddy,
Marc
Anonymous said…
Agree with you Prasad... ;-)
Anonymous said…
A lot may be said about these two actors but they have chosen a pathetic movie to act together in. I mean we would expect excellent plot and world class acting, but the movie provides neither. The story build up is a mess and there is little scope for these two legends to showoff their forte. Righteous Kill is a boring and a predictable movie. The much hulla hoo is simply washed off after you have walked out of the movie theatre.

Ciao
Andre
Anonymous said…
Kevdha te tad tad eengrazi fadlay buaa....marathi mansala kalel asa kahitari sopya sadhya marathi bhashet liha ki.... :-P
Anonymous said…
Amolji,

Where are you comparing Al Pacino to the great Big B. The comparison is non sense.

I am also wondering why do you have run to the West finding for actors to write about, we have good actors here in India as well, Big B, Hrithik, Shahrukh, and alike. Why you never think of writing about them or are you a pesudo American? You have not even attempted to find the greatness of actors of our Indian origin, else you wouldnt had gone to Hollywood.

First get your base strong about what is going on in India and then go abroad to write about them.

Rohit

Popular posts from this blog

Down The Memory Lane - The Times of DD

The weekend was bad, rather not so good; my back ache had buckled me to the bed, not allowing me to stay in one position for more than 4-5 minutes. I was surfing through the television channels lying on bed, and soon I noticed that I was doing nothing but going from 0 to 54 (that is the only number of channels I have on my television) and then again 0 to 54, and then again and again. I was tired watching that Indo-Pak terror debate, reality shows were irritating me, and I couldn’t handle any more breaking news with my broken back, neither was I interested in any kind of saas-bahu or the rona-dhona type of soaps, south Indian films dubbed in hindi were a big NO, I was in no mood for business news either, I had also had enough of Ghajini and Rab Ne trailors, songs, and reviews. I remember, only thing that possibly kept me glued to any particular channel was the advertisements – Limca (I love this ad for its jingle, the zing, and the babe, of course), Raymond, Bingo , few insurance

The Tormenting Tale of TimesJobs

Important: Please read my earlier post on Timesjobs.com . The reference to context will then be simpler. My experience with Timesjobs.com has been vexatious. It has almost turned out to be like "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" . If Emily saw ghosts at 3am in the morning, I would often wake up with the nightmare of Timesjobs.com personnel (mostly a Sonia Oberoi or Rekha Singh) asking me if "I am in the right job" or someone else offering me a "Citibank Credit Card" Yes, a credit card indeed. Timesjobs.com itself is out of job or providing jobs and hence has started selling credit cards - IRONY, I surmise. All my attempts to "UNSUBSCRIBE" from their job alert and mailing services have failed, to the extent that I wrote to YAHOO to please have my email address either deleted or changed (I will post a screen-shot of a reply from YAHOO SECURITY TEAM in my next post). However, I still made a brave, despondent attempt to "UNSUBSCRIBE" f

Existing In Chaos

50 days! I have been spinning in hectic schedules of work and a strenuous life of intermediate intensity. I have had hardly anytime to catch up with the news, especially at this time when elections are just around the corner. During all these frenzied days of my work life, I have terribly missed Karan (Thapar), Rajdeep, Arnab, and Udayan & Mitali (Mukherjees), of course. Yes, I did catch up with the Oscar ceremony and the hyped Slumdog jazz though. I am exhausted now. I tried to squeeze in some time yesterday to go through the recent political news (I wasn’t interested in what is happening to Kasab or was eager to know about India’s heroic cricketing triumphs). I pulled out some news archives from various websites, newspapers, and did watch news channels for whole three hours yesterday. I liked the oath taking Lead India 09 campaign, I liked Aamir’s representation to think better for this country in one another Lead India campaign, I loved the awareness and initiatives that Jaago