Skip to main content

Jayabai, Kashala Ugich?

The other day, my mom was muttering something about Jaya Bacchan; she appeared little furious too. “Why did she have to say so? What was the need? Then blame Raj for saying something in return”, she was talking all this in Marathi to herself while doing some kitchen work. I asked her what happened, what is wrong? And she went on again why unnecessarily Jaya Bacchan had to comment. It seems Jaya Bacchan had said something about the Marathi speaking people – the Maharastrians. She (my mom) then reached out for the television remote control and started gliding over various news channels. While I am adept at surfing the net, my mom is equally skilled browsing the TV channels… :-). She somewhere managed to locate that incident on a news channel, it was easy actually, the news kept flashing continuously in loops – that is what news channels do these days, any news is a breaking news, and it will hog you until you have completely forgotten about your existence. Aishwarya Rai falls from a bicycle and sprains her leg – breaking news!, then surely Jaya Bacchan sarcastically attacking Marathi people indeed has to be the bursting news, not only just breaking.

During some function for her son’s movie – Drona, in which even she has acted; Jaya Bacchan spoke in Hindi, which was fine. However, further saying that, “hum UP ke log hai, hume Hindi mein baat karni chahiye (we are from Uttar Pradesh and should speak in Hindi). Maharashtrians should pardon us for speaking in Hindi”. Now, was this required at all? You were there to talk about the movie and its music probably, and you should have done that, why rub against the wrong things, said my mom. Yes, even I feel that Jaya Bacchan’s comment was unnecessary. It is now obvious that Uncle-Nephew duo (separately) would hit it back, and they will give it hard, at least the younger one will.

Not that I completely agree with Raj’s ideologies of going on rampage with the north Indians, but at the same I also feel that Jayaji was wrong when she said those words. Hindi is our national language; you have all right to use it when you want, where you want. However, anything derogatory against any community is wrong, even if it is unintentional or sarcastically commented or even if you belong to the Bollywood’s first family. It was Raj and MNS that Mrs. Bacchan should be having problems with, and not the entire Maharashtrian community. Jaya Bacchan has certainly invited trouble. I wonder if her apologies or her husband’s blog would help anything further. Balasaheb has come out with an editorial in his Sena mouthpiece Saamna, where he warns Jayaji not to provoke Maharashtrians, and he comes out with justifiable facts in that article (wish I could publish it here on my blog, you may source it at
http://www.saamana.com/2008/Sept/09/Index.htm under the editorial [sampaadikiya] page section). Posters and effigies of Bacchans and their movies are being torn and burnt down. This was inevitable Jayaji, you just gave an excuse to the MNS gang to go on rampage. You could have nicely enjoyed the music launch, felt happy for your son’s (doubtful) success, and moved ahead. However, you thought of being revengeful by jokingly passing some comments about the Maharashtrians. Why? That joke of yours is now going to cost you some sleepless nights and some serious business loss to your son and husband. The statements you made Jayaji, were seriously not required, I still do not understand the need for those utterances - I feel hurt (a Marathi speaking true Mumbaikar that I am) as much as I was moved by the violent attacks on North Indian taxi drivers, milkmen, vegetable vendors, and so on.

We all know what is democracy but we don’t understand what it is.

Comments

Sandeep Gupta said…
Though I feel that the comments by Jaya Bachchan were unnecessary but the reactions of MNS are much more voilent. I don't think that this voilance can be justified for any comment.
Anonymous said…
As much as Jaya might be blamed for such a casual comment, i think its silly of the MNS to take it personally. How does it matter who says what, someone calling u a donkey doesn't neccessarily mean you become one. Its just that some people have nothing better to do than voilence.
Anonymous said…
Jayaji's comments were absolutely uncalled for. As for the uncle-nephew the only thing they know is to instigate people & get things done. Nephew goes around with gun totting bodyguards & all the security in the world surrounding him from all sides. Only then can he say whatever he wants. He thinks he is a 'Man' or some saviour. I have never heard of the nephew doing any good for Maharashtrians except for showing what a 'goonda' he is. I just want to quote from an article i read "Marathi Mansa Jagaa ho..." think before u listen to such elements.
Amol Redij said…
Interesting! and comments well accepted. Thank you.

However, what you all missed here is that I am not trying to justify MNS or either of the Thackeray's stand. I do not consider the mass voilence by the MNS sena as a merit or as any kind of good done to the Marathi community, on the contrary it creates more rift between the communities. What my point here is that Jaya Bacchan's comments were not required. She could have remained silent if she really wanted to avoid the tussle.
Even I am against any kind of violence, even in its slightest form. But when you know MNS very well, that they can find any damn reason for getting into disruption, why provoke them at all, why pinch them at the wrong spot and then blame them over and over. That function was not the right place to be sarcastic.

Yes you do not become a donkey or a monkey when someone calls you one, but when in a quarrel one word against you, even if it is "idiot" will surely fume you up.

Cheers
Amol
Anonymous said…
Amazing blog, the Marathi Manoos strikes back.
Anonymous said…
I read the article and also through the comments. I find both justified. It does hurt when someone comments on one's community, gender, or religion. All these are personal things and a matter of personal belief. I am a north Indian myself but feel that Mrs. Bacchan's remarks were not necessary, it could have hurt the sentiments of many. And also the reactions of Marathi leaders were not required, it could have been sorted out by a public apology. What happens here is the common man's reputation and identity goes at stake in the political warfare. Who knows tommoroow you might find Raj Thackeray partying with the Bacchans at Jalsa or the Bacchans could go campaigning for the Thackerays.

Amol has just put across his point of view and he hasnt sided anyone. He is hurt being a Marathi person but at the same time does not propose violence or any kind of hatred against the north Indians, in fact he has sympathised with them who were a target of vandalism few months ago.

We live in democracy and we have the freedom of speech so anyone can go ahead and say anything. This is what Amol is trying to convey in the last line of his article - "We all know what is democracy but we don’t understand what it is"
Anonymous said…
How would you feel when your Marathi people are treated the same way in UP, Bihar or other northern parts?

Do you have an answer? Answer me come on, now answer me.
Amol, agree with you totally. There was no need for Jaya madam to comment.

But to think of it there are many things that many people do not need to do!! Alas, this is how it works. And may be this was planned, what better publicity to make sure your sons movie is in the news!
Anonymous said…
Yeah Nikhil, that seems to be an interesting point of view, worth pondering...

Good blog Amol :)

Regards,
Amruta
Anonymous said…
Amol Sir, Raj and Bacchans end their fight...popat ho gaya tumhara
Anonymous said…
Rohit Singh seems to in a great hurry. Remember, no Marathi celebrities or others go and beg to media with a wakada(curved) face and try to chide the people. The concerned lady prefers to remain a guddi who till date has not grown up in any manner. A protege of Amar Singh is not expected to do better than this, anytime.
Anonymous said…
I dont understand why you people are wasting your time, writing and commenting about the dirty politics in our country. In the end it is the common man like you and me who will suffer, the big people will stay united and be merry and exploit us
Anonymous said…
Well said. These politicians and celebrity people are the most selfihs people, we should not waste our times on them, they dont deserve a share in our precious time.

Thanks

Popular posts from this blog

Down The Memory Lane - The Times of DD

The weekend was bad, rather not so good; my back ache had buckled me to the bed, not allowing me to stay in one position for more than 4-5 minutes. I was surfing through the television channels lying on bed, and soon I noticed that I was doing nothing but going from 0 to 54 (that is the only number of channels I have on my television) and then again 0 to 54, and then again and again. I was tired watching that Indo-Pak terror debate, reality shows were irritating me, and I couldn’t handle any more breaking news with my broken back, neither was I interested in any kind of saas-bahu or the rona-dhona type of soaps, south Indian films dubbed in hindi were a big NO, I was in no mood for business news either, I had also had enough of Ghajini and Rab Ne trailors, songs, and reviews. I remember, only thing that possibly kept me glued to any particular channel was the advertisements – Limca (I love this ad for its jingle, the zing, and the babe, of course), Raymond, Bingo , few insurance

The Tormenting Tale of TimesJobs

Important: Please read my earlier post on Timesjobs.com . The reference to context will then be simpler. My experience with Timesjobs.com has been vexatious. It has almost turned out to be like "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" . If Emily saw ghosts at 3am in the morning, I would often wake up with the nightmare of Timesjobs.com personnel (mostly a Sonia Oberoi or Rekha Singh) asking me if "I am in the right job" or someone else offering me a "Citibank Credit Card" Yes, a credit card indeed. Timesjobs.com itself is out of job or providing jobs and hence has started selling credit cards - IRONY, I surmise. All my attempts to "UNSUBSCRIBE" from their job alert and mailing services have failed, to the extent that I wrote to YAHOO to please have my email address either deleted or changed (I will post a screen-shot of a reply from YAHOO SECURITY TEAM in my next post). However, I still made a brave, despondent attempt to "UNSUBSCRIBE" f

Existing In Chaos

50 days! I have been spinning in hectic schedules of work and a strenuous life of intermediate intensity. I have had hardly anytime to catch up with the news, especially at this time when elections are just around the corner. During all these frenzied days of my work life, I have terribly missed Karan (Thapar), Rajdeep, Arnab, and Udayan & Mitali (Mukherjees), of course. Yes, I did catch up with the Oscar ceremony and the hyped Slumdog jazz though. I am exhausted now. I tried to squeeze in some time yesterday to go through the recent political news (I wasn’t interested in what is happening to Kasab or was eager to know about India’s heroic cricketing triumphs). I pulled out some news archives from various websites, newspapers, and did watch news channels for whole three hours yesterday. I liked the oath taking Lead India 09 campaign, I liked Aamir’s representation to think better for this country in one another Lead India campaign, I loved the awareness and initiatives that Jaago