Skip to main content

Mumbai Meri Jaan - Always

It was not long ago when I was sitting (yes! ;-]) with two friends of mine, and one of their friend (we will call him Mr. A, A for angry young man…hahahaha). The introductory session went on good and we all kicked off the session with lot of fun and laughter – until this time nobody had bothered to ask the new acquaintances about each other’s whereabouts or what they did or where they came from; it was as if they were meeting just after yesterday.

As we continued getting into high spirits, a fellow member initiated a discussion about what I did, what is my name (once again!), where am I studying (this happens most of the time, I just smile at this), what would I like to do in future (am sure when he comes to know about my age, he will ask me what should he do in his future…hahahaha), and so on. He also asked me where I came from. I proudly replied “MUMBAI”, and I always do it that way. He probably was little hurt with my regionalist ego and shrugged his shoulders. Yes, I am a Mumbaikar – my heart, mind, and soul pledge by Mumbai. I just love it.

Mr. A fellow group member, sitting on my right gave me an appalled look on hearing “Mumbai”. He definitely was not from Mumbai. Now this Mr. A starts an argument and gets heated up over the points that Mumbai is a disgusting place to live in, there is no value for life there, people have no time for each other, and this and that. I excused his arrogant words for he had gulped four 60ml pegs by now. However, he continued to ridicule Mumbai and Mumbaikars further.

I asked him what was wrong with Mumbai to which he responded “Kya accha hai wahan, teri mumbai mein?” (What is nice there, in your Mumbai?).

I, then asked him, why what has happened.

“Everyone is living there like parasites, no care or time for people, no sympathy for people, everyone is selfish and busy with their own chores”, he responded. I asked him how many years had he stayed in Mumbai. “Nahi rehna aisi sadi huyi jagah pe” (don’t want to stay in such a rotten place), he furiously replied with his slightly heavy-dangling-alcohol-infected tongue.

“I had been for an interview one day to Andheri and I was standing on the railway platform, it was so crowded, people pushing and pulling each other, so much rush, it was an utter mess”, he continued.
Meanwhile, other friends who were until now enjoying the drinks guessed that argument could get serious and cut in, “relax guys, its ok, lets enjoy yaar” – all in chorus. Nevertheless, our Mr. A was not ready to listen. He probably had taken a vow that he will single handedly try to stain Mumbai’s reputation.

His angst continued further, “there was a mob who was trying to get into the compartment. There was a teenage girl too who was trying to get a place to board the train. Those wild people battered the girl, they rubbed against her, they squeezed her, took advantage of her helplessness, instead of helping her. Bechari ko nooch dala (molested the poor girl), and then shamelessly kept laughing, mocking about what they did”. I do not deny that such incidents don’t happen, yes, it could have took place, and Mr. A was probably not lying about it. However, blaming a city, (a city that stands strong against every terror, calamity, and any mishap) based on one single incident or doings of some bunch of people is very absurd, Mumbai is definitely not that.

“Of all the years you spent in Mumbai, is this all that you observed and experienced?” I queried.

“Years? I had come to Mumbai just for a single day, that was my first day, and it was enough. Though I had secured the job I did not join, don’t want to come to this ruthless city. What I saw that day and what I have been reading for years is more than enough, I don’t want to be kida here.”

“It is really very sad about what you witnessed. Well, I am sorry my friend. However, it is unjustified to equate that 5 minutes of experience of yours to years and years of culture, resilience, patience, accommodating nature that this city has shown. You cannot forget the numerous people who flocked to Mumbai in search of food, shelter, and livelihood. You cannot ignore people who have turned into huge success stories staying in Mumbai. And not many of these had their roots in Mumbai, they were migrants, let me remind you”, I persuaded.

“Bullshit”, he banged his fist on the table. “Saala kuch sukoon nahi hai iss shehar mein”.

“What time of that was it when you saw all this”, asked one of my (and his) friend.

“9.40-45 in the morning, I had to go to Marine Lines”, Mr. A replied.

“Haan idhar hee toh locha tha”, laughed away my friend. “First thing, you should know that there are locals starting from Andheri, which could have made your (and the girl’s journey comfortable). In addition, the girl should have known that there are separate compartments for women. Be informed is one thing Mumbai teaches you. Second, you were probably standing at the wrong place and at the wrong time – Mumbai teaches you a lot about the right time principle. Third, Mumbai is full of helpful people, if you don’t have information, at least ASK, if you try to be over smart, you will probably have no place here or will be lost and left long behind, this is one way to be responsible. Hussshhhh”, ended my friend’s philosophical speech.

We all clapped, and raised our glasses high to appreciate that counter view on Mumbai.

Mr. A did not seem to pacify however. He continued, “Bomb blasts keep happening, people fight and kill each other, there are messy traffic jams, people defecating along the roadsides, rains that flood the city and cause turmoil, the whole city is crowded. I can go on and on but it’s of no use, you people will not understand. Having lived in this shitty city, your minds too are full of shit.”

Yes, I will not understand, why should I, when I have a strong experience of more than 25 years of this city – the way it unites, the way it treats other people, the ways in which it has been a source of bread and butter for many, and so on. I am talking of people at the grass-root level here, I choose to ignore the politicians and their supporters with vested interests.

Bomb blasts, where do they not take place today – Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Jaipur, Hyderabad, Delhi? Would you still call these safe? Why not Mumbai then? Mumbai has been terrorized more than all these cities combined probably. Yet, people here stand up again next day and begin their routine. So do the people in other cities. How is Mumbai different then and why those words of hatred.

A girl is physically abused by a group of people – so Mumbai is pathetic. What is Delhi, UP, and other northern areas then? See the number of rapes and molestations that happen there, ask any woman do they feel safe there – “NO”, will be the reply. Why treat Mumbai different then and abuse it?

There are floods and rains – what is Mumbai’s wrong doing if a natural calamity hits it. Were there no floods in Nashik, Pune, Bihar, Bangalore, and Chennai? I have had the first hand experience of those floods, I have seen people helping each other forming human chains, tying ropes along the footpath so that people can safely cross the road. I have seen people offering bread and tea to people stuck in floods, sitting on stairs of railway bridges. I have seen people taking out their private cars next day and giving lifts to people who were walking back home. This is Mumbai.

Traffic jams – travel in Bangalore and you will see what is traffic. Come to Pune and you will know what traffic is. A stretch of 10kms from Hinjewadi to Wakad takes about an hour. This is the case in peak hours, you will argue, so is it in Mumbai. Travel on Mumbai highways during the off-peak hours, you will reach Shivaji Park from Andheri in mere 25 minutes, which approximately is 30kms. Mumbai at least has a good public transport system, which is pitiable if you go to Pune, Bangalore, and Chennai to name a few.

Mumbai is full of communal hatred. What was Godhra then? What is Orissa, Bangalore, Mangalore then?

This city has been welcoming each and everyone who wants to try his/her fortune, and hence has got crowded over a period of time. Similar are the cases with Bangalore, Pune. However, these cities are not bad, Mumbai is – weird logic.

It is because of people like Mr. A who come prejudiced about the city and keep finding faults for no reason, thus disharmonizing the culture of this city. Ask my friend Aditya, who get overwhelmed by the 24 hour availability of food anywhere in Mumbai, he is amazed that someone from a closed restaurant walks to your car knowing you are looking for food and takes your order even at 2.30AM. Take example of Rupal, who gets excited when she gets a chance to come to Mumbai. You can shop for anything and everything you want without having a feeling that you are emptying your pocket – what a feeling to be in Mumbai, she says. Niraj, “oooohhooo…aaahaaaaa…aaaahhhhh”, is what he does when he hears Mumbai, pleasing he says, the most enjoyable days of his life were spent in Mumbai and he still rejoices them. “Mumbai taught me how to struggle and fight back again the next day no matter how much you are exhausted, I can stand any challenge that comes my way, I am so confident and independent”, says Nitin. There are many others, who I know have enjoyed their time in Mumbai and are grateful that they could have wonderful experiences of their life in the city – helpful, compassionate, punctuality, and various other traits that they gathered here. Mind you, not all the above names are Mumbaikars, they had a brief stay in Mumbai at some point of time in their life, but they loved every bit of it, and respect it too.

If everything across the country in other cities remains the same, then why is Mumbai different? Why blame it for no reason.

“Kaash ke mein tujhe bata sakta Mumbai kya hai (wish I could explain to you what Mumbai is)”, I stoked Mr. A with a smile.

“Ma@#$#%#% city hai ekdum”, he got up frustrated to for leak but collapsed in the chair.

“Bandar kya jaane adrak ka swaad”, I smiled at him. He probably took a glimpse of it through the closing shutters of his eyes. Later we paid the bill, dumped Mr. A into a friend’s car, and packed him off to the room.

This incident had taken place long time back, almost a month ago. I had started to write about it and had given it up midway. However, what made me complete this today is an email that I received from one of my friend – the one who was with me when the incident took. Of the two friends that day, one had flown to London and the other to Paris. I received an email from the one in Paris – “I am having good time here, there is lot of work during the day time and sometimes late nights. I am enjoying here, this city is treating me good, but Mumbai is Mumbai of course, wahan jaisi baath kahin aur hai hi nahi”.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good One Amol.... Although I feel one Mr Raj Thackeray could feel the same rather than bringing disrepute to our city.
Anonymous said…
Awesome article, the Mumbai spirit truly oozes out from your emotions.

Ajinkya
Anonymous said…
Mitraaaa,

Kay chaan vyakhyan ahey, dedhadak paney lihilays agadi, avadla aplyala, apratim, aflaatoon agadi.

Jai Maharashtra,
Rishikesh
Anonymous said…
Why don't you create short stories out of your blogs or even movies - good publishable material.
sandipwrites said…
Count me in along with Aditya, Rupal and Nitin dude :)
Anonymous said…
Mitraaaaa Todlas re Todlas kay llihila aahes yaar, Khupach chan. Mumbai ne itka kahi dilay aplyala "Mumbai" la visruch shaknar nahi kadhich. Kharach tu bolas tasa "Mumbai Meri Jaan" agdi barobar title dila ahes.

MUMBAI TUJHA SHATASHAHA AABHARI.....

Jai Maharashtra....
Sumit K. Jha said…
Nicely said...beautifully written...

I don't know when the people, without being politically influenced, stop having a biased approach to any issue...

Its really easy to blame and/or put onus on someone/government but whats our contribution towards the solution.

It was very easy on your blog's character, Mr. A's, part to say that the girl was being molested...(Mr A if u are reading this blog)...it seems that rather than trying to (or have the guts to) intervene, he was enjoying the trouble that the girl was facing...HOW IS ANY CITY RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT? Those people were just like one of us...Mr. A - you would have definitely felt "kaash mai bhi...", otherwise you would have definitely intervened...

Regarding the blasts/communal issues...hah...aren't we as much responsible as our government...Its our moral responsibility to protect our nation....and here many people just like Mr A share a -vely biased opinion for a city whether that be Mumbai, Delhi, Pune...Its a different thing that I might be liking a particular city the most but that doesn't mean it has all the best qualities...someone else might be disliking it the most...It is absolutely wrong to hurt others emotion like Mr A tried...And definitely this blog should be read by our so called political heroes...PLEASE DONT TRY TO DIVIDE INDIA...We are first Indians and then we are a marathi, bihari, punjabi...
Anonymous said…
Too Good ! I am not originally from Mumbai but after having spent 18 yrs in this city I know that there is no place like Mumbai .. atleast in India !

Shailja
Anonymous said…
Ho gaya Marathi manoos ka bolbala shuru...Whoever that Mr. A is, he is correct, Mumbai is full of mess and chaos. Wise men and peace loving people better stay away from this city.

Rohit
Anonymous said…
Amol,

Then why are you staying im Pune (away from Mumbai) when you love YOUR MUMBAI so much.

Doesnt it make you look and sound like a hypocrite.
Anonymous said…
Ek dum Jaakhaas...Mumbai is Mumbai.
People from other cities have major attitude problem & hence the opinion. Mumbai has always welcomed people from diff states & those are the ones spoiling its image.
A true Mumbaikar will never do such things.

B
Anonymous said…
What a writeup!
Excellent
Anonymous said…
I liked your views a lot, indeed.

Great piece of work.
Anonymous said…
Kay petlas ekdam madhech ..!
Anonymous said…
Hey dude, tell us something new...we know Mumbai rocks !
Anonymous said…
I just hope that your writings dont cause unrest among other communities.

Nice ideas though.
Anonymous said…
Amol,

You have written the absolute truth about Mumbai based on genuine facts. You assimilation of analogies and events is by-far the most truthful and you speak from your heart - nothing biased or favouring a particular community, city, or the class of people.

To add to your wonderful anecdotes on Mumbai, I wish to cite here few statements from last Sunday's DNA newspaper. The article was about how Muslims are being generalised as terror groups and what the innocent Muslims are feeling about it, the ones who want to be a part of the India Inc's success story.

Here is a small quote from that article, which also talks in particular about Mumbai.

"Inamullah Sheikh, 59, a civil contractor in Bandra (West)expresses the common frustration felt by ordinary Muslims after terror attacks and bomb blasts: “The community on the whole has nothing to do with the terrorists. It just happens that all those who are caught are Muslims. A few members of the community get involved in such crimes for money and the entire community is labelled as terrorist.”
But he does not despair. He believes that in Mumbai, people stand up for each other across the religious divides. “Despite all odds, people here stand up for each other when in need”, he says. And there is the touching loyalty that many Mumbaikars feel for the city: “We earn our bread and butter in this city. I want to live my life in peace along with people from other communities.”"

You are a true spirited Mumbaikar.

Good going and keep writing.

Kamlaakar
Anonymous said…
Nice write-up....Good work !!

Popular posts from this blog

Down The Memory Lane - The Times of DD

The weekend was bad, rather not so good; my back ache had buckled me to the bed, not allowing me to stay in one position for more than 4-5 minutes. I was surfing through the television channels lying on bed, and soon I noticed that I was doing nothing but going from 0 to 54 (that is the only number of channels I have on my television) and then again 0 to 54, and then again and again. I was tired watching that Indo-Pak terror debate, reality shows were irritating me, and I couldn’t handle any more breaking news with my broken back, neither was I interested in any kind of saas-bahu or the rona-dhona type of soaps, south Indian films dubbed in hindi were a big NO, I was in no mood for business news either, I had also had enough of Ghajini and Rab Ne trailors, songs, and reviews. I remember, only thing that possibly kept me glued to any particular channel was the advertisements – Limca (I love this ad for its jingle, the zing, and the babe, of course), Raymond, Bingo , few insurance

The Tormenting Tale of TimesJobs

Important: Please read my earlier post on Timesjobs.com . The reference to context will then be simpler. My experience with Timesjobs.com has been vexatious. It has almost turned out to be like "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" . If Emily saw ghosts at 3am in the morning, I would often wake up with the nightmare of Timesjobs.com personnel (mostly a Sonia Oberoi or Rekha Singh) asking me if "I am in the right job" or someone else offering me a "Citibank Credit Card" Yes, a credit card indeed. Timesjobs.com itself is out of job or providing jobs and hence has started selling credit cards - IRONY, I surmise. All my attempts to "UNSUBSCRIBE" from their job alert and mailing services have failed, to the extent that I wrote to YAHOO to please have my email address either deleted or changed (I will post a screen-shot of a reply from YAHOO SECURITY TEAM in my next post). However, I still made a brave, despondent attempt to "UNSUBSCRIBE" f

Existing In Chaos

50 days! I have been spinning in hectic schedules of work and a strenuous life of intermediate intensity. I have had hardly anytime to catch up with the news, especially at this time when elections are just around the corner. During all these frenzied days of my work life, I have terribly missed Karan (Thapar), Rajdeep, Arnab, and Udayan & Mitali (Mukherjees), of course. Yes, I did catch up with the Oscar ceremony and the hyped Slumdog jazz though. I am exhausted now. I tried to squeeze in some time yesterday to go through the recent political news (I wasn’t interested in what is happening to Kasab or was eager to know about India’s heroic cricketing triumphs). I pulled out some news archives from various websites, newspapers, and did watch news channels for whole three hours yesterday. I liked the oath taking Lead India 09 campaign, I liked Aamir’s representation to think better for this country in one another Lead India campaign, I loved the awareness and initiatives that Jaago