Skip to main content

The "Professor" of Carefree Dancing - Shammi Kapoor

Today, it was that time of the year when millions of Mumbaikars flock on the streets to be a part of the immersion procession of their beloved elephant God – Ganesha. People enjoy the dhol-tasha-lezhim rhythms, the carefree dancing, the colours of gulal, and are lost in the spiritual extravaganza seeking blessings from their Lord. The elderly watch the processions with their folded hands, and the little ones smile-giggle-clap looking at the huge idols. The mood overall all is ecstatic and emotional with the devotees bellowing requests for their Lord to come back soon next year. I have been watching such scenes year after year, and I still enjoy it, especially the dhol music.

I was traveling today from Pune to Mumbai, on the last day of Ganesh festival. I was worried most of the time that I might get stuck up somewhere in traffic and things would get frustrating. However, fortunately the journey was safe, quick, and pleasing. Though there were a few traffic jam bottlenecks, I managed to ignore them, as I was enjoying the scenes of processions outside. I got nostalgic, remembering the times when I used to dance in such processions, caring a damn about anyone is thinking about my dancing patterns. Till date, my legs shudder when I hear the dhol and tasha beats, and the tempo increases as the music draws closer. Sitting in the bus, I was closely observing the people dancing – the men, women, children, all alike. I was smiling at all that I was witnessing. It is so much fun to dance like that, everything natural and uncontrolled.

After a while (having minutely seen the dance steps), I was somehow reminded of Shammi Kapoor. The dance steps of the people in the processions closely resembled that of Shammi Kapoor. I was soon absorbed into thinking about all his dance oriented songs, his dance lets out an unprompted merriment. I doubt if his songs were ever choreographed, every step and movement he did appeared very natural. Much of the Ganpati dance that I have seen others do, and even which I did during my younger days, draw straight references from Shammi Kapoor’s dance steps, directly or indirectly.

Do you remember any of Shammi Kapoor’s dancing acts? From where did he get an inspiration for such impromptu steps? "It was an expression of joy after having won over my lady love,” he admits profoundly. Shammi Kapoor was among the India’s first singing and dancing star (Dev Anand had just swayed in his songs, his performance in song were commendable, albeit). Shammi Kapoor’s dance format is still acclaimed with the “Indian Beatles” status. He had indeed developed a style of his own and there was a period when audiences rushed to movie halls just to observe his gestures and lively performances. Look at his style of strumming the guitar and taking bending footsteps, he was compared to Elvis Presley, and soon became an Indian version of Presley. Shammi Kapoor confesses in an interview on BBC (Hindi) that though he had tried dance classes he could never learn it and failed miserably. Possibly, he practiced his own discoveries of dance. May be, he had good sense of music and rhythm. He also admits modestly that when Helen would dance, he would just contribute with facial expressions and brisk movements – he isn’t a bluffmaster…hahaha. He could roll, turn, jump, bend, sway, fall, crawl with amazing grace. In all his dance numbers he has showcased zany dance steps. However, despite all twists and turn in any direction and still maintain his balance.

Still looking at the dancers in the procession, some songs flashed across my memory that truly depict the Shammi Kapoor’s dancing talent, and the resemblance to present day tapoori dance. “Govinda Ala Re” (Bluff Master) is among my best Shammi Kapoor songs, watch this song for the real street dance, and I am sure you will want to dance like this during next Govinda and Ganpati festival. Then there is “Dil Deke Dekho Ji” (Dil Deke Dekho) with excellent drumming skills displayed, LOL… nodding of head, and shrugging of shoulders – everything stylish and elegant sitting at one place. I also like the song “Aiga Aiga Kya Ho Gaya” (Boyfriend) with Shammi Kapoor opposite Madhubala. One more song from the B/W era that I like and enjoy his dance with Asha Parekh is “To Boloji Kya Karey Diwana” (I don’t remember the movie :-[ ) – in this song you must also watch the steps of the dance troupe and their clapping sequences synchronized with their dance steps.

Come the colour movie revolution and Shammi Kapoor roared “Yahoooo” in his first colour movie Junglee. “Chahey Koi Mujhe Junglee Kahoo” and “Din Sara Gujara Tere Angana”, two songs from this movie that have vibrant and wonderful dancing moments. Every song in Teesri Manzil is an amazing hit where Shammi Kapoor pumps life into dance sequences. “Badan Pe Sitarey Lapatey Huye” (Prince) is a classic representation that in this song lay the roots of today’s Ganpati dance. See “Aaj Kal Tere Mere Pyaar Ke Charche” (Brahmachari) and you will be reminded of the Beatles dancing. “Taarif Karu Kya Uski” and “Meri Jaan Balle Balle” from Kashmir Ki Kali are again two songs that showcase Shammi Kapoor’s boneless body movements. These are just a few songs that I could remember looking outside the bus window. There will be many, I am sure, if you want to see Shammi Kapoor’s dance mania.

While many dancers came later into the Bollywood like Govinda, Mithun, and others (Hrithik, Shahid fall in a different league) who just may be improvised what Shammi Kapoor had sowed. There was Bhiku Mhatre (Manoj Bajpai in Satya doing “Kallu Mama” and “Sapne Mein Milti Hai”), who was copied for some time for dances on streets, his steps however, short lived. I must make a special mention to Bhagwaan Dada here (“Bholi Soorat Dil Ke Khote” fame), who also had introduced a unique style of dancing and was popular among many. People danced Bacchan, Kaka, and various other forms of dancing. However, observing all those, I still feel that the modern day dance forms (specifically the freestyle-carefree ones) are offshoots of Shammi Kapoor’s dancing pattern. This Prince(ly) looking, Junglee dancer was can be truly called the Professor of freestyle dance.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Amol,

That is an indeed very good comparison. You have very good observation skills and a nose to dig out things on which you can write, that too so comfortably. I will see if I can get some DVDs of Shammi Kapoor songs here in US, I need to watch them now, I am getting restless.

Thanks for such good information and nice references to enjoy old songs.

Keep writin...

Byeeee
Akshay
Anonymous said…
Hey,

tu ajun jaga ahes? tula zop yeth nahi ka re aaj kaal? parat premat vagare padlas ki kaay?

chaan ahey blog tujha...good work, punn mala ata India ani khaas karun Mumbai chya ganeshostavaachi aathvan yetay...mast dhol tashe lezim...majja na yaar...

tu nachlas ki nahi :-)

zopp jaa ata..

Chal bye...tujhya bashet cheers,
Pradnya (tujhich...asa lihu ka, mast byko kadun fatke miltil na tula..haahaaahaaaa)
Nikhil Pagdhare said…
Simply Amazing Thoughts.

Too Good....
Anonymous said…
Amol,

your comparison of Shammiji with Bhagwaan Dada is an insult to Bhagwaan Dada, he was a legend and deserves much more respect than Shammi Kapoor's reptilian movements.

Regards,
Chirag
Anonymous said…
Very good blog
Amol Redij said…
Pradnya Madam,

Agga tujha comment kuthay, hee jaga blog var comment karnya saathi ahey, personal gappa goshtin saathi email ahey ki...hahahahaha...

anyway thanks for reading and i feel good that tula majhya article muley India chi aathvan tari aali.

Cheers
Amol
Amol Redij said…
Chirag Hi,

Thanks for your comment and appreciate your efforts in reading the article. However, I feel there is some gap there in my writing something and you understanding something. While I usually leave the interpretations to the reader, I also like to clarify a few things if I am not properly understood.

Firstly, looking at the immersion processions and the dances therein, the first thing that came to mind was Shammi Kapoor's dance, about which I have written. It is an expression of my personal thought.

Secondly, I have not offended any other dancer/actor by passing any derogatory remarks. I have appreciated all of them. However, I put Shammi Kapoor on the top, he being a personal favourite.

Thirdly, Bhagwaan Dada is indeed a legend and I too love his dance format. I have not said that Shammi Kapoor is better than Bhagwaan Dada or the converse. I speak about their uniqueness and hence in a way I am complimenting him.

Hope this pacifies your anger, may be :-)

Cheers,
Amol
Anonymous said…
One tight slap, Mr. Chirag

Good one Amol Sir
Anonymous said…
Tumse accha koun hai from Jaanwar movie also has very dacne show from Shammi, very artistic and gracious.
Anonymous said…
Wow Amol, you refreshed my memories of yesteryears...i will go through some videos on youtube..

thanks a lot
Anonymous said…
'Ah, then, it's a gift', says Gen Yevgraph Zhivago (Sir Alec Guiness) when his niece and Dr. Yuri Zhivago(Omar Sherif) and Lara's (Julie Christi) daughter comes to meet him and her boyfriend tells Yevgraph about the instrument (balalika) she is carrying plays without any formal training.
She doesn't intend to reveal her identity. Hovever, at the very moment Yuri knows she is the daughter of his (poet too) brother lost in Mangolia with his wife.
Amol, you've got the gift of words. e.g. 'unprompted merriment' to quote from this article.
So, boy, it's a time to surge ahead for a mammoth and Zhivago-like work.
DayWalker
Anonymous said…
Hello Amol,

Do you any of the words like genre, theme, expertise, speciality. I see this lacking in your blog.

Sometimes you write about movies, then politics, then sometimes philosphy, and sometimes about Mumbai.

What is your speciality? You write on anything simply anything. You are surely not an expert at a particular topic.

Your blog is a mess of everything. I pity your readers who bear you.

Bye
Rohit
Anonymous said…
Sharma's Bahaduri!
Yesterday I quoted about Dr Zhivago of David Lean. Today, let me reminisce his another epic-Ryan's Daughter.
Kudos to Rohit Sharma!
Sarah Miles (wife of Robert Bolt, favourite screenplay writer of Lean and a playwright follose the steps of dragging Christopher Jones on the sea shore of a small village, highly enethical of a married women to fall in love with a stranger invader. (Remember Our own Chemmin.)
R. Sharma in a ditto similar manner is stepping into the foot step impressios of Jaya Bhaduri, especially by saying- I pity your readers who bear you. What an end of a piece of a writing!
In fact, he has gone several steps ahead of Jaya Bhaduri. She insulted Maharashtrians. R. Sharma insults an universal reading community.
Instead of detesting or protesting about his comment I pity him.
He has proven that he is an illiterate as far as literature is concerned. I suggest him to read Art Buchwald and Our BusyBee, the most popular essayists of our time, forget the Victorain writers and make his comments...He will faint to see the diversity of their subjects.
This is how Mr Sharma genre is exposed.
Anyway, Amol you continue.
Through you we've got the first 'dictator reader' who has acquired a place some where between Hitler and Jaya Bhaduri.
DayWalker
Amol Redij said…
Rohit Hi,

Thank you for praising my versatility, in a way ;-)

Cheers,
Amol
Anonymous said…
Amol, you are a good writer. All your articles are fundoo. Great work dude.

Regards,
Dhiraj
Anonymous said…
Hey Amol, you are such a versatile writer... Great going !
Anonymous said…
Hey nice write-up man!
Anonymous said…
Hi,

I, too, am an ardent fan of Shammi Kapoor. However, my memories had collected some dust and I had almost forgotten the dancing icon, until I read your article.

It is good so see that modern day writers take deep interest in the art forms of the past and appreciate them too.

Would love to read about more such personalities whom we have buried under the dust of our memories.

Good read champion.

- Arundathi
Anonymous said…
Kay Amolrao,

tucha Tendulkar jhalay (apla Sachin re), loka fatt fatt tujha koutuk kartayt, ani kasle tey ek ek hi funda comments.

changlach prassiddha hotoys leka, good haan, keep it up.

tata,
Pradnya

Popular posts from this blog

Down The Memory Lane - The Times of DD

The weekend was bad, rather not so good; my back ache had buckled me to the bed, not allowing me to stay in one position for more than 4-5 minutes. I was surfing through the television channels lying on bed, and soon I noticed that I was doing nothing but going from 0 to 54 (that is the only number of channels I have on my television) and then again 0 to 54, and then again and again. I was tired watching that Indo-Pak terror debate, reality shows were irritating me, and I couldn’t handle any more breaking news with my broken back, neither was I interested in any kind of saas-bahu or the rona-dhona type of soaps, south Indian films dubbed in hindi were a big NO, I was in no mood for business news either, I had also had enough of Ghajini and Rab Ne trailors, songs, and reviews. I remember, only thing that possibly kept me glued to any particular channel was the advertisements – Limca (I love this ad for its jingle, the zing, and the babe, of course), Raymond, Bingo , few insurance

The Tormenting Tale of TimesJobs

Important: Please read my earlier post on Timesjobs.com . The reference to context will then be simpler. My experience with Timesjobs.com has been vexatious. It has almost turned out to be like "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" . If Emily saw ghosts at 3am in the morning, I would often wake up with the nightmare of Timesjobs.com personnel (mostly a Sonia Oberoi or Rekha Singh) asking me if "I am in the right job" or someone else offering me a "Citibank Credit Card" Yes, a credit card indeed. Timesjobs.com itself is out of job or providing jobs and hence has started selling credit cards - IRONY, I surmise. All my attempts to "UNSUBSCRIBE" from their job alert and mailing services have failed, to the extent that I wrote to YAHOO to please have my email address either deleted or changed (I will post a screen-shot of a reply from YAHOO SECURITY TEAM in my next post). However, I still made a brave, despondent attempt to "UNSUBSCRIBE" f

Existing In Chaos

50 days! I have been spinning in hectic schedules of work and a strenuous life of intermediate intensity. I have had hardly anytime to catch up with the news, especially at this time when elections are just around the corner. During all these frenzied days of my work life, I have terribly missed Karan (Thapar), Rajdeep, Arnab, and Udayan & Mitali (Mukherjees), of course. Yes, I did catch up with the Oscar ceremony and the hyped Slumdog jazz though. I am exhausted now. I tried to squeeze in some time yesterday to go through the recent political news (I wasn’t interested in what is happening to Kasab or was eager to know about India’s heroic cricketing triumphs). I pulled out some news archives from various websites, newspapers, and did watch news channels for whole three hours yesterday. I liked the oath taking Lead India 09 campaign, I liked Aamir’s representation to think better for this country in one another Lead India campaign, I loved the awareness and initiatives that Jaago