Skip to main content

A Marathi That I Am

I had resigned from my current job. I am joining a company, which happens to be in the northern part of India. All set, having confirmed the accommodation, traveling facilities, exact location of the office, and packed for a day, I begin my journey to the new state. I will be traveling by train this time, convenient and cheap, air travel has become costly now. I board the train and occupy my seat after placing the luggage. I start to look out of the window until the train begun its acceleration. I was traveling alone and it was getting boring. Meanwhile, I call a newspaper boy, who rambled in the compartment trying to sell the dailies. I could not find anything in English to read and thus picked up a Marathi newspaper to put some of my spare time to good use. The compartment was getting filled with people, mostly north Indians and a mix of many others. We all begin the journey – few of the oldies praying for a safe journey, while some still waving good bye to their relatives on the platform, women adjusting their saris, dresses, and make-up, and the males were putting their baggage in place. I dozed off. After I finished my nap, all the passengers had settled in their respective seats and the commotion had soon withered out of the window. People had started talking to each other about their destinations relatives and everything in general, and were exchanging fruits, wafers, peanuts, and so on. A hand extended to me with words, “Lo beta” (take Son), I traced the source and it was an elderly lady offering in chips. “No, its ok thank you”, I replied and smiled back. “Lamba safar hai lelo (its a long journey, take it)”, prompted the voice again. I took two wafers and crunched them between my teeth.

“Till where are you going”, asked a fellow passenger sitting next to me. He was young too like me.
I told him the name of the place and also that I am joining a company there. “Hmmm” was the response. A little while later, he asked me for my newspaper. I had curled the newspaper like a pipe by now and put it near the seat edge. I gave it to him anyways.
He unfolded the newspaper and exclaimed, “Oh, this seems to be in Marathi, I will take ages to read one single page…hahahaha”.
“Yes, its Marathi”, I replied.
“So you a Marathi, a Maharashtrian”, he queried.
“Ho…from Mumbai”, I confirmed.
“And you going to north India”, he sounded sarcastic.
“So?”, I was arrogant.
“Nothing, just be careful. The news is not too good for you people up there in the North”, he cautioned me; I think so.
“Yes, even I have heard it. But I think I will be ok”, I tried to gather some courage.
“I hope so. And I sincerely wish that you are not harmed, you look like a good cultured man. Why would anyone want someone like you to be a prey of some selfish illiterate politicians?”
“True”, I affirmed.
He excused himself for a leak. I slept again in the meanwhile only to get up next morning. Hours passed and I was waiting for my destination to come, while continually talking to passengers around, and answering their questions about me and my existence, and so on.

I get down at my destination and go out in search of the cab that company has sent for me. I was somewhat fearful still remembering about what that fellow passenger had told me. But then, how would someone ever come to know that I am a Maharashtrian, I tried to cajole myself. May be in a similar way how Muslims were dug out during the 1992 Mumbai riots or the Gujarat riots or how the tribal Hindus are hunted by Christians for conversions – I may be looked out for in a similar way. I was swinging between the optimisms of a safer abode and uncertainties of my unsecured existence there. I could not find the cab, and so I thought of taking a private taxi or rickshaw or anything that I found. I finally could locate a shared auto and started my journey further.

My cell phone rang, it was my mother calling. “Ho…atta 10 mins purvi”, I said with rest all questions answered in a mix of “hmmmm….ho…ok….hmmmm” and disconnected the call.
“Kahan se ho”, asked the rickshaw driver.
“Mumbai”, I said.
“Marathi?”, rickshaw driver again.
“Ummm…nahi…haan..haaan..", I fumbled with words.
“Dartey kyon ho sahab, jaisi karni bharni waise bharni, jo diya hai wo wapis to lena padega” (Why are you afraid Sir? As you sow, so you reap. You have to take back what you have given), I did not know if the driver was threatening me or just making a statement.
“Par, maine kuch nahi kiya” (but I did not do anything), I tried to avoid any discussion further.
“Humne konsa kahan kuch kiya tha” (where had we did anything), replied the driver and he stopped the auto near a small hotel. He called a few men and shouted, “Mumbai se Marathi aadmi aya hai, aao re sab” (a Marathi fellow has come from Mumbai, all of you come here).

I sensed some trouble coming and started to run with the entire luggage that I could gather. A mob followed me. I was running even faster now. I collapsed a few times, got up, and ran again, almost for my life. I was dehydrated after sometime and gasped heavily, my throat was arid by now, I was looking around for water. I needed to run and also required some water to stay alive – but I was tired. I kept hunting for water, wheezing away.

I got up and reached for the bottle of water kept next to my bed. I gulped down 5 to 6 sips, and stayed awake with eyes wide open for 5 minutes. That was a bad dream, I was dreaming. I checked, there I was sitting on my bed in the dark with no mob following me. I felt relived. I went out on the terrace for sometime for some fresh air, it was cold and pleasant. But I still kept thinking about my dream while looking at the silent road below and the moonlit glittery sky above.

The situation may be just a distant reality if Raj Thackeray continued with the violence against other communities and/or the regions. I love Mumbai, a true Mumbaikar, and proud Marathi, but I don’t want all this to be tarnished just because of the wrong deeds of a single person, who just talks about the Marathi asmita and does not care about what nuisance value he is creating for his own community. It is a sheer desperation of coming into power. However, this is not going to help. Beating up north Indians appearing for railway recruitment exam or those waiting at the ticket booking window is a complete madness, what kind of support and brand value is he gathering for himself and his party. His acts are definitely promoting enmity within the country between various communities. “Shame, Shame, Shame” said his wife reacting to Raj’s arrest. In fact, I feel that his acts are conferring more shame on the Marathi community, and may soon a situation will come when a Marathi Manoos is hated, ill-treated, and harassed in the other states. As one of my good friends puts it, we all are talking about a global village but this man Raj is doing otherwise. True, when the geographical boundaries across the world are being erased, Mr. Raj is trying to etch newer boundaries within the country itself. It also may be a case where Mr. Raj’s doing might lead to sprouting of some extremist group that take on vandalism of Marathi community or may be Raj himself is nurturing new radicalisms that would generalize the Marathi community into some form of a terror group. It may be soon when Marathi Manoos will be looked up as a violent terrorist as like what a Muslim is looked upon as a terrorist. I do not want all this for a Marathi Manoos, true Marathi that I am. We have always been known to be peaceful community with an adjusting nature, and I like it that way. The worthy one will get what he/she deserves irrespective of the community, resorting to violence is no measure in any way, it will only derogate the identity. I surely do not want the entire community to carry the blame or be tainted black for one man’s foolish ideologies, which I am sure more than 80% of the community does not agree to. Fighting for rights is not wrong, the objective is good but the path is wrong – killings and violence does not bring back rights, just hatred and communalism.

With so many thoughts and confusions in mind I tried to sleep again, but I couldn’t. Time passed and I got ready to leave for office. I was waiting at the bus stop, when I over heard a conversation. A man asked his friend, “I heard they burning Raj’s effigies and posters there in the north, kya ho raha hai aapke raj mein”, and he laughed. To this, that friend replied, “Wohi jo aapke Raj ne kiya hai”, and they both had a hearty laugh – may be one was Marathi and the other was Bihari, looking at that gesture of brotherhood and friendship, I felt that there is still hope that peace might prevail.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Awesome...

Amazing writeup
Anonymous said…
If u cannot support dnt blame a person for his deeds... His way may be wrong but his motive is correct. Did u get tht mr. ............

Minal
Amol Redij said…
Hi Minal,

Thanks for the comment.

I am not objecting the motive at all, may be the motive is correct. However, the way is wrong. What is violence is going to bring? What is the use of closing down shops, burning taxis? He is no one to decide and snatch away daily bread from people. Beating up people is only going to create more enemies. Destroying the infrastructure is also a loss to you, because you are paying taxes, which is utilised to develop infrastructure.
A person may be good or bad but torturing entire community (north Indians in this case) is totally wrong.

Cheers,
Amol
Anonymous said…
mast likha hai .. lage raho .. mere dosto ko forward kiya hai .. ervyone is appreciating ..
Anonymous said…
Thats wht i said ki his way is wrong. But he is not wrong......... U only think Lalu always hired all Bhaiyas in Railway WHY?? Kya Railway uske Baap ki hai kya..... Ek din jaab Guju, Marwadi's and Bhayais will take over mumbai(history will repeat itseld once again) thenu will reliase and accept wht he is doing is for whose benefit.....
Anonymous said…
I agree with you. Today if you can check the "Marathi Manoos" has excelled in every field by their sheer hard work and intelligence. Why the need to do something for the marathi people with violence when they themselves are doing well and making their lives easy.

What has Raj done for the common marathi people. If he cannot do good then why treat us bad.

Whatever happens only the common man suffers even in his dreams...
Anonymous said…
Extremely powerful writing.

Prabhakar
Anonymous said…
Minal,

I think you have not quite got what Amol is trying to say. He has not opposed Raj's motive but only the way in doing things.

If his objective is equal rights for Marathis, then why doesnt he strive to make his party stronger and win the elections (under currrent circumstances he surely will not, in fact I am afraid that his deposit will be confiscated).

Mumbai and Marathi does not need violence. I am a Marathi speaking girl myself but I dont support what Raj has done in last two days.

When you talk about benefit for the Marathi people, why does one single Raj decide for us. If you feel that objective is correct and path is wrong, where are you atleast trying to show the correct path. Form a team, a socialite group, unite and make yourself accountable so that nobody snatches away your bread, shelter, and rights from you.

The history will repeat itself if you and me sit with our hands folded waiting for some Messiah like Raj (who he is certainly not). Come out and show the correct path to people, if you think the path is wrong, why cant you oppose it rather than siding by the objective alone.

Lets learn to see things in totality.

Thanks
Anonymous said…
Yes, we Marathi people certainly do not want us to be equated to SIMI or Bajrang Dal or New Life form of radical groups.
Anonymous said…
A very nice blog
Anonymous said…
Amol,
Raj's motive is correct. Those jobs were being given to biharis by partiality. Raj is just 'reacting' to that. The real culprits are Lalu, Amar Singh and his jokers. I hope Raj realises that he needs to find smarter ways to spread his message, but trust me- if bhaiyyas are not stopped by coming into Mumbai, they will convert Mumbai into an extension of UP-Bihar. U must be reading abt situation in Bihar..kidnappings, lack of jobs, corruption. It's bad..nobody wants to 'move' to bihar. and now bihar itself is moving to maharashtra. Would u like Lalu or Amar singh or Abu Azmi to be the next CM of maharashtra? If they continue to migrate in large numbers, they will do exactly that. Just imagine Lalu Yadav as CM of Maharashtra, Shivaji Maharajancha atma tasfadun uthel tya veli. Yach sathi milvala hota ka mi swarajya! Bihari lokanche tumhi nokar vhava mhanun, asa vichartil te. Hi vel door nahiye. Bihari migration must be stopped. Or else, they will take over maharashtra and torture marathi people-regardless of what Raj does or does not do.
I repeat- Raj is sorta immature, but currently he is the only option available to maharashtra. Other leaders- be it SS-BJP or Congress-Rashtravadi- te lok fakt bihari lokanchya talavar nachtat.
Anonymous said…
The Centre immediately intervened into our State politics demanding the State Govt to take firm action against Raj and his men. Then why does the Centre not take staunch steps in development of northern states and its areas - UP, Bihar? Why are equal opportunities created over there so that people over there do not all across the country polluting the culture of a particular state. Amar Singh, Mayawati, Lalu just come to talk when such incidents happen and don't actually do anything for upliftment of their areas. If Raj is wrong, they all are worse then.

Bye
Anonymous said…
Well, I dont really would like to talk about Raj specifically, but yes what is happening in Mumbai and our state is worsening day by day, it will be soon when we have to stay as a minority in our state.
Anonymous said…
Amol Bhai,

I just want to say to others that do not use heart to think as it will always say what you like or that which make you feel happy. Truth is bitter. God has given us brain to think so use it.

Just for a while imagine a senario that Maharashtra is an independent country.So what issue Mr. Raj would have raised? May be there is a chance Ms. Minal would have found herself on the bitter side.

Actulay it is very difficult for me to convince people (Especially Girls/Women) who are rigid with their thought and give unnecessary explaination.

For example Ms. Arundati Roy gave comment that "Kashmir needs freedom from India and India needs freedom from Kashmir "

She never thought what could be after effects. She only thought from her heart, and didn't use her brain to conclude upon what she saw there in a day or two. Surprising!

Being a Bihari I will say I do not have any idea of taking over Mumbai according to Ms Minal.

I think if anyone really faces conditions what one Bihari or Bhaiyya faces, he or she will definitely never ever say like that.

I am not reacting to what everyone says because I know that is a natural emotional thought straight from the heart.

Just think for a while what Americans may be thinking of Indians right now as about 8 lakh of them lost job because of outsourcing and current meltdown.

If entire world start thinking about shrinking the geography then entire world will become Somalia, or Ethopia, and India will be first to be so.
Anonymous said…
Well written.

I dont think any of Raj's acts have benefitted the Marathi Manoos, it in fcat has tarnished their image.
Anonymous said…
Its surprising that we still need to argue whether Raj Thakeray is right or wrong ,This man's views and his approach is causing violence, it is destroying the peace of a cosmopoliton city, it is taking lives of innocent students who have come down to appear for a railway exam... Do you think a common man from Nalanda can influence a Lalu to provide him jobs.
Please guys if we who are educated cannot be unanimous in our approach then why to blame those MNS goondas who are being fed by the self proclaimed messiah of the marathi manoos.
Anonymous said…
Would it be appropriate for the US govt to drive out the Maharashtrians out of US or even Indians for that matter, who have made USA as their base to earn their daily bread? We should be ok then if our fellow Indians are beaten up in the US, as we, our community is responsible for bringing unemployment in that country. Is that justified? If yes, then we are not humans. If yes, then we are hypocrites.
Anonymous said…
Amol,

Asa kahi tari bhayanak lihit jaao nakos, arey maartil tula kadhi tari loka dharun. Bara bai, me apla nehmi tujhya blog var marathi madhech comment taaktey.

Ekdum sollid petlays tu, ani tujhya blog chi prassidhi agadi jabardast re.

Chalu dya, bara ahey.

Pradnya
Anonymous said…
The real fight is not between a Bihari or a Bhaiyya and a Marathi. Is it in fact a clash of the educated ones with the illiterates. It is understandable that it is easy to influence and woo the uneducated, and mobilise them but what saddens more is that even the educated is speaking irrationally. It is a duty of us the educated breed to pass on wisdom to the deprived ones so the harmony prevails, make them understand things logically. We all are victims of dirty politics. Neither has lalu or mayawati or amar singh done good in the north for upliftment, they are busy expanding their treasuries by giving emotional and vandalising speeches. You are not sure when they will back stab you or their partners. Similar is case with Raj and likes, if they are so serious of something to the state or community, why does not Raj start working at the ground level, start a NGO may be for a social cause, but no there aint any power and money there.

So friends, all this is a selfish game and a tug of war for power and money. We, the common people are the rope which is squeezed, twisted, churned, and gripped at their will. They will make us fight with each other for their own profit. In the end you will realise that the gain is their and we would have lost everything by then.

Thanks
KC
S.K. Jha said…
I am reading your blogs since long without making any comments.

Your previous blogs on the same topic was little bit opposite of what you are telling in this blog.
Anonymous said…
Amol,
Good write-up. Indeed a neutral one; at least you wont be banned by the internet community, like the way Raj has been banned from making speeches.
I truly understand whatever comments have been posted above (be it anyone) are straight from their hearts; brain need not be necessarily used (maybe the same is true with me too). I am a Maharashtrian, but I am an Indian first. I am proud to be a Maharashtrian (and I hope to continue to do so, if only someone stops tainting the entire community black)
My heart goes out to all those who suffered at the hands of MNS activists. This is truly not the way to treat any human being (no one has the right to do so).
But why politicians are being compared with each other? Raj is being compared with the likes of Lalu, Amar Singh, etc etc etc... I totally respect Lalu for the way he's handled Railways, and has finally bought the entity some profits (on paper for the first time). But his comments "I dont know how Maharashtra is being governed" are real sick. Lalu should be the last person on this earth to tell how to run a state.
By saying all of the above, I wish to clarify, I DO NOT support Raj's approach. But like agreed by many above, his motive "might be" right. After all we need to understand, politics is not for us, the common man; everyone in politics is for himself.
What we as a common man can do is try and bring harmony in the beautiful place that we live in, Aapli Mumbai (I didnt say 'Aamchi Mumbai', coz I dont wish to be seen as a pro-Raj Maharashtrian)
Once again, good article Amol. Keep it up.
Anonymous said…
I don't know how much people say about job partiality is right, but ok still I accept that Railway is doing partiality to Biharis. But really thinking about the situation it is only politics to blame. The hard fact is that all politicians have only one religion and that is harami. That is the true. They don't favour Bihari in the Railway recruitment but they favour their near and dear ones or by taking bribe which is more than Rs 3 lakh. That is true because I have a friend who has a political background family and is close to such unruly leaders.

But apart from Railway no other big portfolio is under any Bihari leader. So what about those data????

Actually Bihar has got step motherly treatment since independence. All its natural resources are being utilized in the development of other states with the raw materials (according to central govt. law) are given on subsidy.

I don't blame others .This all is our fault. We didn't have any good leader since independence as other states got. We were left on our destiny but center also played a ruining role just to have their PM at the center as U.P. and Bihar together at that time had (85+53) MP seats which can decide the PM at the center. That’s why these two states are the worst affected (politically) states.

So you suggest what we should do for survival, suicide, or migrate, or revolt, or become criminal.

An educated Bihari has only one option to survive, that is migrating to other state and I am also doing the same. Just think as per the following message that even graduate will start suicides.

You must know that what you are accepting to happen in future to your state is currently happening in Bihar. Farmers in your state are anyways dying for lack of facilities. People from other states migrate to other states in search of opportunities instead of committing suicides. Yes, that Mumbai provides lot of opportunities and hence the influx.

In my previous comment on your blog I said do not think from your heart, use your brain. If you use your brain you will find that everything is a natural process and thinking from heart is also the same and the leaders and the government know this fact very well so they don't directly jump into the matter but leave everything on time for cure.

We cannot do anything except wait and watch and give good advice to others to make world a civilized and a better place for our future generation.

Our country and religion is based on very tolerant and non aggressive ideas and that is why even because of lots of problems we are fastest growing country.
Anonymous said…
Good write-up

Popular posts from this blog

Down The Memory Lane - The Times of DD

The weekend was bad, rather not so good; my back ache had buckled me to the bed, not allowing me to stay in one position for more than 4-5 minutes. I was surfing through the television channels lying on bed, and soon I noticed that I was doing nothing but going from 0 to 54 (that is the only number of channels I have on my television) and then again 0 to 54, and then again and again. I was tired watching that Indo-Pak terror debate, reality shows were irritating me, and I couldn’t handle any more breaking news with my broken back, neither was I interested in any kind of saas-bahu or the rona-dhona type of soaps, south Indian films dubbed in hindi were a big NO, I was in no mood for business news either, I had also had enough of Ghajini and Rab Ne trailors, songs, and reviews. I remember, only thing that possibly kept me glued to any particular channel was the advertisements – Limca (I love this ad for its jingle, the zing, and the babe, of course), Raymond, Bingo , few insurance

The Tormenting Tale of TimesJobs

Important: Please read my earlier post on Timesjobs.com . The reference to context will then be simpler. My experience with Timesjobs.com has been vexatious. It has almost turned out to be like "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" . If Emily saw ghosts at 3am in the morning, I would often wake up with the nightmare of Timesjobs.com personnel (mostly a Sonia Oberoi or Rekha Singh) asking me if "I am in the right job" or someone else offering me a "Citibank Credit Card" Yes, a credit card indeed. Timesjobs.com itself is out of job or providing jobs and hence has started selling credit cards - IRONY, I surmise. All my attempts to "UNSUBSCRIBE" from their job alert and mailing services have failed, to the extent that I wrote to YAHOO to please have my email address either deleted or changed (I will post a screen-shot of a reply from YAHOO SECURITY TEAM in my next post). However, I still made a brave, despondent attempt to "UNSUBSCRIBE" f

Existing In Chaos

50 days! I have been spinning in hectic schedules of work and a strenuous life of intermediate intensity. I have had hardly anytime to catch up with the news, especially at this time when elections are just around the corner. During all these frenzied days of my work life, I have terribly missed Karan (Thapar), Rajdeep, Arnab, and Udayan & Mitali (Mukherjees), of course. Yes, I did catch up with the Oscar ceremony and the hyped Slumdog jazz though. I am exhausted now. I tried to squeeze in some time yesterday to go through the recent political news (I wasn’t interested in what is happening to Kasab or was eager to know about India’s heroic cricketing triumphs). I pulled out some news archives from various websites, newspapers, and did watch news channels for whole three hours yesterday. I liked the oath taking Lead India 09 campaign, I liked Aamir’s representation to think better for this country in one another Lead India campaign, I loved the awareness and initiatives that Jaago