Skip to main content

India Rising

In my last post, I wrote about how our nation has been disintegrating and that unity has almost diminished. However, I seem to be changing my opinion looking at the strong protest rallies, candle lighting campaigns, and listening to the voices that echoed at the Gateway of India yesterday and all across the country.

Though I strongly condemn the notorious acts of the terrorists, I also somewhere wish to thank them for provoking the youth of this nation, getting them united and making then think, retort, and question the governance. I have seen the “Incredible India” and “India Shining”, and I now see “India Rising”, which hopefully is to preserve the glitter of that shining India. “United we stand” today. I feel a sense of pride that for once we have forgotten our regional boundaries, and got together to analyse the situation and come up with possible solutions. I see the “Spirit of Mumbai” rapidly transforming into the “Spirit of India” – we all are ready to fight back.

Having gone through entire episode over the week, I presume that all opinions have converged on having a government (politicians) that is accountable, selfless, and proactive. One and all feel that we need major changes in the government that range from having a dictator to having a presidential to corporatisation of our states and so on. We have finally risen to the true meaning of democracy – of the people, for the people, and by the people. People are ready to cleanse the governance that had taken the common man for granted all these year. Not any more though, we have awakened now, and we will bring about the change we need. Of the many voices that spoke yesterday across the country, many suggestions seemed absolutely necessary and practical.

From the voices that I heard yesterday at the Gateway of India, one girl raged that cricketers are taken in air-conditioned Volvo buses, whereas the commandos who fought there in South Mumbai were taken in BEST buses. The girl’s anger is very much justified. Why this discrimination? Is a cricketer more of an asset to us than a commando? Sachin, Bhajji, Dhoni etc can practice peacefully at the nets just because they know that there is a army man guarding the border. We give our sportsmen crores of rupees as prize money when they already have crores, but pay our martyrs only 5 lacs or 10 lacs. The commando fights with his life on peril. What danger do these cricketers have? – a ball hitting them, some bleeding, some swelling, neck sprain, tennis elbow, ping-pong leg, blah blah…uhhh. There were SMSs floating “Bhindra makes country proud” and so on. Why does a valiant commando not make us proud?

Other angered young men and women also protested that the Congress has axed some of its leaders, but we don’t need that, we need action against what has happened. Some cried that we for sure know that Pakistan is responsible, go and bomb them, take Kasav (arrested terrorist) with you in a chopper and ask him to show where the camps are – bomb it then. Some said declare a war on Pakistan, and finish is off, we would prefer dying in a war than a terrorist attack.

Yes, indeed enough is enough. However, we need constructive measures to curb the exploitation we have been subjected to for so many years. I definitely don’t want a war, and I am sure there are many who will second this. History proves that wars have always been destructive. A war will erode much of our infrastructure, kill the innocent, and will only lay a plot for another war – we don’t want that to happen. “An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind”, said Mahatma Gandhi – the greatest even proponent of peace. We also should be careful of the US; they might just provoke us into a war with Pakistan, and use us, just as they did with Afghanistan against the Soviets. While we may just listen to them in terms of their intelligence reports and their strategies of previous operations, our implementation strategies should be our own and not influenced by anyone else.

Now for all of this to happen, we need a strong leadership. It is important to understand that we, the people can create an uprising but cannot completely insulate us from politics, we have a political democratic system, and have to couple with it for advancing.

Let us have an entirely new breed of transparent, honest, and selfless politicians that put country’s benefits prior to their own pockets and treasuries. Let us have strict security measures, and ramp up on our educational policies.

Improve on defense mechanisms – advanced arms, better technology, new bullet proof jackets and helmets, throw away lathis and give guns to hawaldars, mandatory physical fitness checkup for the police personnel, scale up the Mumbai police back to its original form (Mumbai police was once considered the second best cop group in the world after the Scotland Yard), empowering the people (on voluntary basis) to combat such attacks and handle emergencies, evacuation drills for people, and so on.

The other day (much before the terror attacks), my friends and I, at office were discussing about what kind of political leaders and government we need, this is what we had come up with
  • Graduation mandatory for anyone who wants to contest elections
  • If you have a single criminal case filed, you are not eligible to contest elections
  • Retirement age to be made mandatory for all politicians, this is where we also need young India to take part in politics
  • The politician can serve only a maximum of upto 2 terms in office
  • The cabinet to consist of equal number of young and senior people
  • Issue a memo and temporarily suspend the leader if found using regionalism, communalism, casteism or other ill means to make false propaganda – always keep a replacement backup leader ready
  • Have at least one corporate leader on the advisory panel for most important portfolios

I know some of the above may sound foolish and impractical, but that’s the way we need it, strict rules laid down by the election commission. A leader can get a fake degree certificate and contest elections, I agree there can be corruption at this and various other stages, but aren’t we talking about cleansing that very point, and it has to be done in stages, we cannot have saints overnight. These are some points we had randomly thought that day, I am sure we all together can come up with better means to sanitise our politics.

I would also love to draw some inspiration from the US (we always love doing it, don’t we?) – make the leaders debate in public and telecast it live. Let the whole country see their capabilities in communication, analytical reasoning, negotiating powers etc. Also, going ahead,

  • Let Arnab Goswami, Karan Thapar, Rajdeep Sardesai, Prannoy Roy, and likes grill the leaders and expose the leaders’ skills to the public.
  • Give them case studies, and analyse what solutions the leaders have come up with. Have a panel of experts, intellectuals like corporate honchos, editors, army personnel, bureaucratic advisors (would be great if we can few foreign heads on this panel) to study the results
  • Have interim appraisals every quarter to study the performance of the individual and the party
  • Have a facility to allow the common man to provide feedback on the political leader (even the smallest)

Yes, it may look like I am making politics sound like a corporate house. Why not, if we can reap benefits from it? The only snag here is appointing a governing body that keeps an eye on cleanliness of all the processes. We, the young have always been accused that we only dream. Yes, we do, but only to set a target, we don’t like to wander aimlessly like the seniors (politicians) of this country.

I hope that the anger, frustration, retaliation, and the peace marches remain alive in the hearts of those who gathered across the country, on and off the screen, to bring about a change, a much needed change. It is said that out of every bad, there comes a good, and that good is about to come, we are definitely making this country and the world a better place to live. It is this country that has always loved peace and taught tolerance, and we will keep preaching it – that won’t change.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Jabardasst!!!
Anonymous said…
Simply amazing dude
Anonymous said…
One more solution, Mumbai should be given a status of statehood, only then can we have thorough control and security on our system.
Anonymous said…
Why is war not necessary? You think terrorist come here to play ping pong, they actually have a war with us on our own ground. WE HAVE TO DECLARE A WAR ON THEM, and FINISH EVERYTHING OFF. AT LEAST WHAT REMAINS IN THE END WILL BE PEACEFUL.

JAI HIND
Anonymous said…
I totally agree with your views. You are totally right in your views about the cricketers as well (Although u knw cricket is my weak point), but i agree with what u have said. It's only because of these people (Police, Military, NSG) we can feel secured. It's because of them that we can have a sound sleep(Although the days have changed now, where you are not even secured at your home) as we knw that they are awake for us all day long.

I SALUTE THEM

Keep Posting such great posts buddy.

- Nikhil
Anonymous said…
Superb article as usual mere dost. Some more suggestions:
-Only 2 major political parties who can form a govt. No Maya's, Mamta's.
-Koi bhi gali ka Rane, Raj should not be allowed to start their political parties.
-No politician is a VIP. He is & would remain an ordinary citizen.
-If not elected or on completion of tenure in office no expenses will be bourne by the Govt.

Surprisingly no politician was present in either Taj or Oberoi when the incident happened, which they normally frequent for their so called meetings.

Popular posts from this blog

Down The Memory Lane - The Times of DD

The weekend was bad, rather not so good; my back ache had buckled me to the bed, not allowing me to stay in one position for more than 4-5 minutes. I was surfing through the television channels lying on bed, and soon I noticed that I was doing nothing but going from 0 to 54 (that is the only number of channels I have on my television) and then again 0 to 54, and then again and again. I was tired watching that Indo-Pak terror debate, reality shows were irritating me, and I couldn’t handle any more breaking news with my broken back, neither was I interested in any kind of saas-bahu or the rona-dhona type of soaps, south Indian films dubbed in hindi were a big NO, I was in no mood for business news either, I had also had enough of Ghajini and Rab Ne trailors, songs, and reviews. I remember, only thing that possibly kept me glued to any particular channel was the advertisements – Limca (I love this ad for its jingle, the zing, and the babe, of course), Raymond, Bingo , few insurance

The Tormenting Tale of TimesJobs

Important: Please read my earlier post on Timesjobs.com . The reference to context will then be simpler. My experience with Timesjobs.com has been vexatious. It has almost turned out to be like "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" . If Emily saw ghosts at 3am in the morning, I would often wake up with the nightmare of Timesjobs.com personnel (mostly a Sonia Oberoi or Rekha Singh) asking me if "I am in the right job" or someone else offering me a "Citibank Credit Card" Yes, a credit card indeed. Timesjobs.com itself is out of job or providing jobs and hence has started selling credit cards - IRONY, I surmise. All my attempts to "UNSUBSCRIBE" from their job alert and mailing services have failed, to the extent that I wrote to YAHOO to please have my email address either deleted or changed (I will post a screen-shot of a reply from YAHOO SECURITY TEAM in my next post). However, I still made a brave, despondent attempt to "UNSUBSCRIBE" f

Existing In Chaos

50 days! I have been spinning in hectic schedules of work and a strenuous life of intermediate intensity. I have had hardly anytime to catch up with the news, especially at this time when elections are just around the corner. During all these frenzied days of my work life, I have terribly missed Karan (Thapar), Rajdeep, Arnab, and Udayan & Mitali (Mukherjees), of course. Yes, I did catch up with the Oscar ceremony and the hyped Slumdog jazz though. I am exhausted now. I tried to squeeze in some time yesterday to go through the recent political news (I wasn’t interested in what is happening to Kasab or was eager to know about India’s heroic cricketing triumphs). I pulled out some news archives from various websites, newspapers, and did watch news channels for whole three hours yesterday. I liked the oath taking Lead India 09 campaign, I liked Aamir’s representation to think better for this country in one another Lead India campaign, I loved the awareness and initiatives that Jaago