Skip to main content

United We Fall, Divided We Stand

60 hours of battle, 180 dead, around 350 casualties, and loss of some of our patriotic heroes – could be a wrap up of disheartening mishap that Mumbai faced last week. And we have faced many attacks of varying magnitudes in the past. Then there were a few at the domestic level as well. The instability, the communal intolerance, the political greed have left us all scared, tortured, and emotionally tormented. A phrase I learnt in school, “United we stand, divided we fall” (also had scripted a skit on this theme then), soon appeared to be diminishing over all these years, and we were taking pride in the opposite. Blaming each other, neglecting the issues, talking about the problems over a cup of tea and forgetting them later, and so on, are only things that mattered to us.

While on one side we have the heroic deeds of the commandos, the police, the army, and sacrifices of innocent citizens, on the other we have security lapse, callous and ignorant government, and illogical opposition leaders. However, all this has resulted in anger of the common man – he is questioning the leaders, protesting against the hopelessness of the system, and started to think about the mess that these so called political leaders are pushing our country into. The country has probably lost the faith in its political leadership, quite obviously.

Mumbai attacks – whether it was a new form or terrorism or the onset of world war III, is immaterial to the common man in Mumbai or elsewhere. It is the question of his survival today. We have spoken enough about the Spirit of Mumbai, it indeed is high, but let us also not camouflage the fear under that spirit. Mumbai gets back, it will get back, there is no other option, a resilient Mumbai was true in 1993, however, Mumbai today is more of scare and anger than resilience, as is said by Naseeruddin Shah in the movie, “A Wednesday”“We are resilient by force, not by choice”, is absolutely apt. The Mumbai Spirit has been flaunted enough and most of the times used only to cover the incapability of our leaders – the leaders who just gave us promises and dreams, and forgot about the warnings that were issued. Mr. R. R. Patil shamelessly made a very coldhearted statement; was he proud that not 5000 but just 500 casualties were reported? It is an absolute disgrace even if a single citizen (Indian or international) is harmed in his territory of governance. I don’t even want to talk about Mr. Vilasrao, as it seems he is only busy with his son’s Bollywood career and his next launches. How many more lessons do these politicians need to learn? It wasn’t a time to learn a lesson, we have learnt many already; it was rather the time to teach a few. Despite having several security warnings, and tip offs of smuggling and intrusions, the Home Ministry and Maharashtra State Government was sitting idle on the information. It is quite fair that such leaders step down.

A major political change could be one beneficial reaction that I would love to see out of all this. Surprising it may seem, but I came across several other reactions as well from many people – “Pakistan ki maar do, bloody bomb that nation”, “Slaughter these Muslims, they only deserve that”, “strip the politicians and take them to streets”, and many other like these. Oh yes, there was something for our dear Mr. Raj (Thackeray), where is his Marathi manoos, the commandos that came to Mumbai’s rescue were North Indians – why he did he not stop them, and so on [Shveta Salve: Please send me Raj Thackeray’s number, if you can find it. I don’t know where he is when we need him. We want him to go and save ‘Amchi Mumbai’ along with his MNS (Maharashtra Navnirman Sena) men. After all they are the ’sons of the soil’, aren’t they? The army, the commandos who are right now battling to save Mumbai are not all ‘Marathi Manoos’, are they? I wonder why they should risk their lives for us! (apnavenue.com)…source link from http://www.webnewswire.com/node/445953. I pity these few (more so for Ms. Shweta), who came with such petty issues at the times when we needed to think about the nation’s interest. Not that I have became Raj’s fan overnight, but these comments were certainly not required at this time. Neither is punishing all Muslims or a nation (and its innocent people) a solution – remember you are only sowing hatred by doing this, and you will reap the same. Moreover, terrorism does not have religion, please for once let us keep religion out of all this, I am sure no religion preaches violence or killings of innocent people.

The real solution here is to have a strong leadership; we need to sift the able and strong leaders and dump the mass of greedy politicians. We need to have educated and young people to take charge of this democracy, who have adequate reasoning power, decision making abilities, and vision of having a better secure nation. We need to bid goodbye to oldies, who in their desperate attempts to come to power keep playing the blame game rather than coming up with some concrete solution in the interest of the nation, and those who have just come to make wealth. We have been looted enough. We need austere laws for these terrorists, and a panel that ensures that laws are enforced, in the quickest possible manner. We need better security policies and systems, advanced equipments, and exclusive empowerment of the forces (police included) without any interference from the government. We have been following dumb rules and laws for long time, but it’s not necessary that what has been followed all these years is always right and sufficient, if change is needed, let a change be brought.

For this change to come, we will need good men to take on the governance of this country, may be few but real good men with strong unbiased vision, leadership qualities, and constructive decision making powers. It is not the time to fight on insignificant issues (or even attempt finding such issues if we don’t have any) that create a divide between religions or caste or regions. We indeed need to be UNITED – ONE INDIA now, and get back to the old phrase – “United We Stand, Divided We Fall”. Making this nation a great place is our (ordinary people) responsibility as much as it is of our forces, government, and the police. And by responsibility I don’t mean joining the army or taking UPSC or anything like that (good if we can do that), I mean exercising your fundamental right – the right to vote. Now please don’t crib about whom I should vote, everyone is a chor here. You need to do some work yourself to study whom you can vote, go out find out, ask questions, and make use of resources that are available. If you want to see good results, you need to do some good work as well. You can’t be just sitting at home everytime, sipping your tea and complaining – this country is going to dogs. If you don’t have the guts to act, you don’t have the right to complain.
{Find out more about voting rights and processes from - http://www.jaagore.com}

Comments

Anonymous said…
Taj is sanitised. We now need sanitisation of our political governance.

Also it is we, the common people who can bring about an uprising to revamp our entire political system.
Anonymous said…
Our vote is the only power we are left with. WE ALL SHOULD VOTE...

All these beggars (politicians) become VIP's once they are elected & understand the language of money.
This incident should always be etched in our minds in such a way that we dont forget it, like it has happened in the past.
Anonymous said…
Terrorists and criminals kill people by their action. Politicians kill people by their inaction.
sandipwrites said…
I would also like to quote one more dialogue by Naseeruddin Shah from "A Wednesday".

Koi Madarc*$$%@ decide nahi karega ki mujhe kab marna hai.

I don't want any MF to decide my fate by pressing a button.
Anonymous said…
Yes, at this point we need unity, instead of pointing fingers at each other, lets hold each other's fist and form such a strong human barricade that no evil force can shatter us and our country.

Jai Hind.

Popular posts from this blog

Down The Memory Lane - The Times of DD

The weekend was bad, rather not so good; my back ache had buckled me to the bed, not allowing me to stay in one position for more than 4-5 minutes. I was surfing through the television channels lying on bed, and soon I noticed that I was doing nothing but going from 0 to 54 (that is the only number of channels I have on my television) and then again 0 to 54, and then again and again. I was tired watching that Indo-Pak terror debate, reality shows were irritating me, and I couldn’t handle any more breaking news with my broken back, neither was I interested in any kind of saas-bahu or the rona-dhona type of soaps, south Indian films dubbed in hindi were a big NO, I was in no mood for business news either, I had also had enough of Ghajini and Rab Ne trailors, songs, and reviews. I remember, only thing that possibly kept me glued to any particular channel was the advertisements – Limca (I love this ad for its jingle, the zing, and the babe, of course), Raymond, Bingo , few insurance

The Tormenting Tale of TimesJobs

Important: Please read my earlier post on Timesjobs.com . The reference to context will then be simpler. My experience with Timesjobs.com has been vexatious. It has almost turned out to be like "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" . If Emily saw ghosts at 3am in the morning, I would often wake up with the nightmare of Timesjobs.com personnel (mostly a Sonia Oberoi or Rekha Singh) asking me if "I am in the right job" or someone else offering me a "Citibank Credit Card" Yes, a credit card indeed. Timesjobs.com itself is out of job or providing jobs and hence has started selling credit cards - IRONY, I surmise. All my attempts to "UNSUBSCRIBE" from their job alert and mailing services have failed, to the extent that I wrote to YAHOO to please have my email address either deleted or changed (I will post a screen-shot of a reply from YAHOO SECURITY TEAM in my next post). However, I still made a brave, despondent attempt to "UNSUBSCRIBE" f

Existing In Chaos

50 days! I have been spinning in hectic schedules of work and a strenuous life of intermediate intensity. I have had hardly anytime to catch up with the news, especially at this time when elections are just around the corner. During all these frenzied days of my work life, I have terribly missed Karan (Thapar), Rajdeep, Arnab, and Udayan & Mitali (Mukherjees), of course. Yes, I did catch up with the Oscar ceremony and the hyped Slumdog jazz though. I am exhausted now. I tried to squeeze in some time yesterday to go through the recent political news (I wasn’t interested in what is happening to Kasab or was eager to know about India’s heroic cricketing triumphs). I pulled out some news archives from various websites, newspapers, and did watch news channels for whole three hours yesterday. I liked the oath taking Lead India 09 campaign, I liked Aamir’s representation to think better for this country in one another Lead India campaign, I loved the awareness and initiatives that Jaago