Skip to main content

Popat Jhala Rey...

From the time when I started my journey to London and amidst making lists of “what-to-do” and “what-not-to-do”, one thing that constantly sprawled my mind was to see the “London Stock Exchange” (LSE), I am kind of obsessed with stock markets. Also, a close friend cum stock market analyst partner of mine had battered enough LSE into minutest of my brain cells. I had to see the London Stock Exchange, one of the largest stock exchanges in the world!
My busy and tiring schedules kept pushing my LSE plans away, and they had now drifted so much that the expiry day, last Thursday of the month, was fast approaching :-]. I had to close my call, not that I would have been indebted to huge sum, but rollover is something which I had never practiced.
Tuesday morning (yesterday), I decided that I will go and see the London Stock Exchange. Out of terrible excitement and curiosity to see the London Stock Exchange, I had finally located it on the road map. In the evening, after completing my day’s work, a little earlier than the usual time, I started walking towards the LSE. I had no clue where I would be landing, yet I stared walking in the direction that seemed to be the easiest; walking in the obvious direction is a rare possibility, as my aptitude for navigational signage-map directions-road orientations is pathetic. Cruising through the lanes across and near London Bridge, gazing at the architecture around, and exchanging few smiles with the hurriedly walking people, I walked to my will, frequently looking at the map, which at some points made no sense to me. The weather was pleasant and the cold breeze didn’t make me feel tired; it was somehow an enjoyable saunter.

St. Paul’s Cathedral was a significant landmark; the map showed that the LSE was just behind the St. Paul’s Cathedral, and near some Paternoster Square. I reached St. Paul’s Cathedral (the Cathedral is huge and amazing), and again started taking turns around it trying to locate the exchange. Some signs showed that I was in the Paternoster Square but I could nowhere find the LSE. I stared, in confusion, at the various structures there.
“Aya hoon toh dekh ke jaaonga”, I thought and in utter desolation I walked up to a guard and asked him about LSE’s location. “Sir, this is very much the place you are looking for. That’s the building; it’s the London Stock Exchange”. I turned to the direction of his finger tip; I was standing right at next to the LSE. “Chaila, jhala ka popat”, popped off my lips looking at that glass building that looked more like a shopping center (yes, they do trade there..but…), for me it nowhere looked like a stock exchange, perhaps I was prejudiced with what our Bombay Stock Exchange looks like. So what!
London Stock ExchangeBombay Stock Exchange
The BSE indeed looks awesome and is noticed quite significantly the moment you enter South Mumbai; it forms a part of Mumbai’s wonderful skyline. Wandering around BSE is an amazing experience; I get a different kind of high in that vicinity ;-).
I was so terribly depressed and embarrassed looking at that shiny LSE structure, I had traced it with so much excitement and high hopes, all in despair though.
Another such awful popat experience was visiting the Buckingham palace. Trust me, our Mysore Palace looks much more artistic and architectural than this abode of Her Highness, at least I did feel so. Look up Google images and find it for yourself :-D

Comments

:- J said…
Oh...cool. how come u in our favour !!!
Vijay M said…
Incredible India!!
But we always think India is Popat.
Vijay
Shailja said…
Good one !!
Dipti said…
:-) ....agree with you
Advaitavedanti said…
Dude, comparing Buckingham Palace to Mysore Palace is a huge insult to Mysore, India and all Indians! Our Vidhana Sabha in any state wins hands down any day against Buckingham, read a white-painted regular bldg. :) I bet you saw it after LSE, else you wouldn't have kept your hopes so high ;)

If you take my suggestion, keep your trip simple, Amol, stick to ale. :)

PS: If you insist on sightseeing, go to country side or Scotland/ Paris!
Ankit said…
Amol,

It has been almost a month that you are in London and you have yet written only 2 posts about your stay there - very bad performance dude. We need to see of London from you and read more of you about your experiences.

Keep writing please.

Ankit
Anonymous said…
Come out of your Mumbai obsession, only then can you enjoy the other joys of the world.
Anonymous said…
You have toured only this much of London as yet! Surprising.
Anonymous said…
Amol....Write!

Popular posts from this blog

Down The Memory Lane - The Times of DD

The weekend was bad, rather not so good; my back ache had buckled me to the bed, not allowing me to stay in one position for more than 4-5 minutes. I was surfing through the television channels lying on bed, and soon I noticed that I was doing nothing but going from 0 to 54 (that is the only number of channels I have on my television) and then again 0 to 54, and then again and again. I was tired watching that Indo-Pak terror debate, reality shows were irritating me, and I couldn’t handle any more breaking news with my broken back, neither was I interested in any kind of saas-bahu or the rona-dhona type of soaps, south Indian films dubbed in hindi were a big NO, I was in no mood for business news either, I had also had enough of Ghajini and Rab Ne trailors, songs, and reviews. I remember, only thing that possibly kept me glued to any particular channel was the advertisements – Limca (I love this ad for its jingle, the zing, and the babe, of course), Raymond, Bingo , few insurance

The Tormenting Tale of TimesJobs

Important: Please read my earlier post on Timesjobs.com . The reference to context will then be simpler. My experience with Timesjobs.com has been vexatious. It has almost turned out to be like "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" . If Emily saw ghosts at 3am in the morning, I would often wake up with the nightmare of Timesjobs.com personnel (mostly a Sonia Oberoi or Rekha Singh) asking me if "I am in the right job" or someone else offering me a "Citibank Credit Card" Yes, a credit card indeed. Timesjobs.com itself is out of job or providing jobs and hence has started selling credit cards - IRONY, I surmise. All my attempts to "UNSUBSCRIBE" from their job alert and mailing services have failed, to the extent that I wrote to YAHOO to please have my email address either deleted or changed (I will post a screen-shot of a reply from YAHOO SECURITY TEAM in my next post). However, I still made a brave, despondent attempt to "UNSUBSCRIBE" f

Existing In Chaos

50 days! I have been spinning in hectic schedules of work and a strenuous life of intermediate intensity. I have had hardly anytime to catch up with the news, especially at this time when elections are just around the corner. During all these frenzied days of my work life, I have terribly missed Karan (Thapar), Rajdeep, Arnab, and Udayan & Mitali (Mukherjees), of course. Yes, I did catch up with the Oscar ceremony and the hyped Slumdog jazz though. I am exhausted now. I tried to squeeze in some time yesterday to go through the recent political news (I wasn’t interested in what is happening to Kasab or was eager to know about India’s heroic cricketing triumphs). I pulled out some news archives from various websites, newspapers, and did watch news channels for whole three hours yesterday. I liked the oath taking Lead India 09 campaign, I liked Aamir’s representation to think better for this country in one another Lead India campaign, I loved the awareness and initiatives that Jaago