Skip to main content

Few Change To Some Change

Travelling between Mumbai and Pune has become kind of a routine, as I have been doing it since last 3 years. There is no new wonderful or exciting experience about the journey anymore. However, yesterday when going back to Pune from Mumbai, I had a refreshing occurrence.

As usual, dear darling Neeta Volvo took her regular halt at a food mall after the Khalapur toll junction. Neeta Volvo sucks, by the way, yet I travel with her to beat the afternoon heat and also that she drops me just at the doorstep of my Pune home.

At the food mall, I wait in the queue to buy a coupon for snacks and tea. I see four to five people in front of me walking away with the coupons, some currency notes, and few Éclairs. At my turn, I buy a vada paav and a coffee. In that Neeta food mall, a vada paav costs Rs. 15, by far the costliest vada paav I have ever had (I have had vada paavs since my childhood starting from 50 ps. to Re. 1 to Rs. 2 to Rs. 3 to Rs. 5 to now Rs. 15), and a coffee worth Rs. 22. I buy snacks worth Rs. 37. I give Rs. 50 note to the boy on the counter. He gives me Rs. 10 and 3 Éclairs. I did not understand what the 3 Éclairs were for. My previous experiences were about Chloromints, Mentos – the 50ps category mints, and I used to walk away with one or two. The boy at the cash counter used to bestow chocolates on his customers under the pretext of “chutta nahi hai”.

Like other normal days, I started to walk away with 3 Éclairs, which amounted to Rs. 3. Having taken two steps aside, I was reminded about my friend, Prasad’s blog, which I had just read in the bus on my mobile. One line in his post had appealed to me a lot – “We do not subscribe to many things from within but just let them go by”. Though Prasad’s post does not essentially talk about making a change, something about his writing had ignited and inspired me [you can Prasad’s blog here – “http://prasadtalks.blogspot.com/”].

I turned back to the cash counter and asked the boy, “hey kaay ahey(what is this), opening out my palm to him showing those 3 Éclairs.

Sutte nahi ahet(don’t have change), he said arrogantly. I protested that I need three rupees and not these chocolates, I don’t eat chocolates.

Nahi ahet sangla na” (I told you I don’t have change), the cashier boy blasted.

Mala nako hi chocolates. Hey coupon parat ghya ani majhe Rs. 50 mala parat dya” (I don’t want these chocolates. Take these coupons back and give my Rs. 50 back to me), I said with very bleak expression.

The cashier boy was startled. He looked puzzled for sometime. I asserted again that I do not want these chocolates, I need my money back.

The boy opened his drawer; put his hand inside some bowl, made some “chan-chan” sound of the coins, and came out with one Re. 1 coin and one Rs. 2 coin. He gave me Rs. 3, my deserved money change. I enjoyed my vada paav & coffee, and relished the sight of others demanding change and refusing to take chocolates.

I was happy and smiling – a few change had brought about some change.

Comments

Chetan Khairnar said…
Gr8. Chukichya gosthi ashach modun kadlya pahijet. Good work Amol...
Anitha said…
Soooper post. Liked it loads….keep writing

Anitha
Tushar Save said…
Good one

Regards,
Tushar

Popular posts from this blog

Down The Memory Lane - The Times of DD

The weekend was bad, rather not so good; my back ache had buckled me to the bed, not allowing me to stay in one position for more than 4-5 minutes. I was surfing through the television channels lying on bed, and soon I noticed that I was doing nothing but going from 0 to 54 (that is the only number of channels I have on my television) and then again 0 to 54, and then again and again. I was tired watching that Indo-Pak terror debate, reality shows were irritating me, and I couldn’t handle any more breaking news with my broken back, neither was I interested in any kind of saas-bahu or the rona-dhona type of soaps, south Indian films dubbed in hindi were a big NO, I was in no mood for business news either, I had also had enough of Ghajini and Rab Ne trailors, songs, and reviews. I remember, only thing that possibly kept me glued to any particular channel was the advertisements – Limca (I love this ad for its jingle, the zing, and the babe, of course), Raymond, Bingo , few insurance

The Tormenting Tale of TimesJobs

Important: Please read my earlier post on Timesjobs.com . The reference to context will then be simpler. My experience with Timesjobs.com has been vexatious. It has almost turned out to be like "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" . If Emily saw ghosts at 3am in the morning, I would often wake up with the nightmare of Timesjobs.com personnel (mostly a Sonia Oberoi or Rekha Singh) asking me if "I am in the right job" or someone else offering me a "Citibank Credit Card" Yes, a credit card indeed. Timesjobs.com itself is out of job or providing jobs and hence has started selling credit cards - IRONY, I surmise. All my attempts to "UNSUBSCRIBE" from their job alert and mailing services have failed, to the extent that I wrote to YAHOO to please have my email address either deleted or changed (I will post a screen-shot of a reply from YAHOO SECURITY TEAM in my next post). However, I still made a brave, despondent attempt to "UNSUBSCRIBE" f

Existing In Chaos

50 days! I have been spinning in hectic schedules of work and a strenuous life of intermediate intensity. I have had hardly anytime to catch up with the news, especially at this time when elections are just around the corner. During all these frenzied days of my work life, I have terribly missed Karan (Thapar), Rajdeep, Arnab, and Udayan & Mitali (Mukherjees), of course. Yes, I did catch up with the Oscar ceremony and the hyped Slumdog jazz though. I am exhausted now. I tried to squeeze in some time yesterday to go through the recent political news (I wasn’t interested in what is happening to Kasab or was eager to know about India’s heroic cricketing triumphs). I pulled out some news archives from various websites, newspapers, and did watch news channels for whole three hours yesterday. I liked the oath taking Lead India 09 campaign, I liked Aamir’s representation to think better for this country in one another Lead India campaign, I loved the awareness and initiatives that Jaago